Whats the better deal on the current promo?

Laszlo

Since it ends tomorrow we are trying to figure out what to book. I think we are going with the 12 day on the BA. Not sure if we should take "Beverage" or "Meal" offer. The beverage plan would cost you a lot more than the meal plan.....

The beverage package is 100% the better option if you have even 2-3 drinks a day. The Dining package is worth about $15 a day. Drink on the boat are $8-9 for liquor, 5-8 for beer. It takes VERY little drinking to be worth it. You will also be able to try any drink you want without worrying about not liking it. It really opens up the cruise to not have to think about drink costs. I would recommend you get the drink package free unless you never drink.

6&8

The beverage package is 100% the better option if you have even 2-3 drinks a day. The Dining package is worth about $15 a day. Drink on the boat are $8-9 for liquor, 5-8 for beer. It takes VERY little drinking to be worth it. You will also be able to try any drink you want without worrying about not liking it. It really opens up the cruise to not have to think about drink costs. I would recommend you get the drink package free unless you never drink.

6&8

Thats what I'm thinking, its really not an Apples to Apples deal. If one were to buy the packages on their own the beverage package is way more expensive than the dining package

I also devalue the dining package because it's not like you only get the buffet if you don't get the package. There is still plenty of good food to be had without the dining packing.

Plus, I've heard it's been really difficult to go truly "freestyle" with the dining package. It's made specialty restaurants harder to get last minute reservations.

Since it ends tomorrow we are trying to figure out what to book. I think we are going with the 12 day on the BA. Not sure if we should take "Beverage" or "Meal" offer. The beverage plan would cost you a lot more than the meal plan.....

It all depends. I am not drinking much - I might have 1 drink a day and my adult daughter who is traveling with me does not drink at all, so it is a no brainer for us to do the dining package.

Plus we were able to make all of our dining reservations when we booked and all are confirmed.

Edited by zqvol

I just don't get why folks keep asking this. Is this seriously that hard for people to figure out? :confused:

Guess I'm not as smart as you :rolleyes:

Edited by Laszlo

The reason some people have a hard time figuring this out is that they compare it to their own habits when they would have to pay for drinks and not to the value of what they are receiving.

12 days x 54 dollars per person computes to over 1400 dollars. This is far more than the cost of the UDP. This is the value of the UBP that you are saving by getting it free.

Unless you are totally only drinking water on a regular basis, its real easy to see how quickly drinks over 12 days can add up! 5 or 6 per 24 hour period ( 3 during afternoons, 1 at dinner, one at show, one nightcap) at an average cost of lets say 7 dollars (very conservatively) adds up to about 50 dollars per person per day (assuming the standard 15% gratuity). Right there on a 12 day cruise, you are probably are looking at getting a at least 1000 dollar bar bill paid for in full for FREE (assuming two of you). Those are conservative numbers too... A hot afternoon in the Caribbean makes it easy to drink more (even soft drinks cost $2.50 or more). Not worrying about cost of beverages also gives you the freedom to try new things at no risk financially.

When you count drinks... it is also useful to remember that typically they aren't mixed quite as strongly as your local pub might or you yourself at home might...

Edited by cliffd64

It also depends on your circumstances. We picked the UDP over UBP for many reasons. One, we have our kids with us, if we both want a drink at the same time, we have to bring our children with us to go get it. Instead of one watching them and the other getting drinks. Two, if you are in a crowded bar, you can't order a bucket and bring it back to where you are sitting and avoid the crowd. Three, bringing more than one drink with you back to the room as we get ready for the night is not possible under UBP.

I would also pick the UBP.

It also depends on your circumstances. We picked the UDP over UBP for many reasons. One, we have our kids with us, if we both want a drink at the same time, we have to bring our children with us to go get it. Instead of one watching them and the other getting drinks. Two, if you are in a crowded bar, you can't order a bucket and bring it back to where you are sitting and avoid the crowd. Three, bringing more than one drink with you back to the room as we get ready for the night is not possible under UBP.

geegee1 We did not have that experience on the Gem last year. We were always able to use 1 card for both of us on the package when ordering poolside, in restaurants, in the theatres or the bars. I'm not sure if that's typical or has changed but it was the case for us. We were always together or at least able to see each other while on the pool deck so I don't know if that is also a factor.

For the cruise we booked it was a "Pick 2" deal; the UBP was a no-brainer. The big decision was whether or not to take UDP or $200 OBC. We went with the UDP but now I'm wondering about a few details I couldn't find on the website.

• Can you dine more than once during the cruise at any given specialty venue?
  • Can you dine at a specialty venue more than once per day?
  • Does UDP give you any kind of preferential benefit in making reservations?
  • Can dining be pre-reserved via the website before final payment date?
  • Has anybody done UDP and been "shut-out" of reservations due to lack of availability?

Really appreciate it if anyone can answer these questions.

Edited by ronandannette

yes

Yes

No

No, that would require you to pay, I believe.

• Has anybody done UDP and been "shut-out" of reservations due to lack of availability?

I've never heard of it. You may have to adjust your time, however.

Harriet

One person can take both cards and sign for them.

Some bar staff are a little more flexible will put 2 drinks on a card.

For the cruise we booked it was a "Pick 2" deal; the UBP was a no-brainer. The big decision was whether or not to take UDP or $200 OBC. We went with the UDP but now I'm wondering about a few details I couldn't find on the website.

Our experience on the Spirit 5-15th Jan

You can pre reserve but on our trip they did not make it to the ship

As a group of 7 we booked up 1/2 the days pre booking/first day.

The other night we had no problem getting a table on the night allthough we did book them around 5:45 for 8:00, 8:30 if we were doing the show that night.

Even Teppanyaki was available most nights of the later part of the trip and thye only have 1 table for 10.

This seems typical of europe with or without the packages US based ships do seem to get busier.

I'm not a big drinker, but I chose the UBP because I'll have two 18 yr olds with me and they like to drink soda (as do I) and soda costs $$$ on the ship too.

Sure, we could bring our own soda, but for us, that's just a hassle and one more thing to lug around before embarkation.

So for us, based on the soda factor, we went with the UBP.

I'm not a big drinker, but I chose the UBP because I'll have two 18 yr olds with me and they like to drink soda (as do I) and soda costs $$$ on the ship too.

Sure, we could bring our own soda, but for us, that's just a hassle and one more thing to lug around before embarkation.

Sorry for the duplicate post. Not sure what happened. :confused: