Jewel Washy, Washy...Again

roger001

The bottle of hand sanitizer which I have here on my desk, says that it kills 99.99Per-cent of germs.

More than likely, most of those HAPPY HAPPY people in the youtube did not come down with Noro Virus.

Just Sayin'

Manufacturers can make all the claims they want. If it was effective against noro, the manufacturer would have registered it with the EPA for inclusion in their list of noro effective agents. There are virtually no consumer products listed there.

huh? since when do hand sanitizers not kill germs?

Hand sanitizers are effective against bacteria, but virtually useless against most viruses, particularly non-encapsulated viruses like noro.

Maggieworkman:

"If it isn't alcohol based, it is not effective against Norovirus."

What the CDC is saying is that alcohol based sanitizers are more effective than non-alcohol based ones, but if you look more into the specific studies that pinpoint noro, you will find that in most cases, alcohol based hand sanitizers were not effective against noro. Too lazy to look up links, I've posted about this quite a lot before. Another thing, is that the most effective way shown to use hand sanitizers was to supplement their use with a water rinse afterwards.

As far as alcohol concentration is concerned, the lower the concentration (down to the minimum recommended 62%), the longer the contact time required to neutralize the bacteria/virus. This is how long the wet solution needs to be on the skin.

Now, as I've said before, if using a sanitizer makes you feel better, then go for it, and good for you. However, don't misrepresent the science. I'm a believer in the sanitizer followed by wiping hands with a paper towel, so that the loosened virus can be removed from the skin, whether it is dead or not. I'm also a believer, but realistic enough to know it won't make that much difference in the USPH's new requirements to have handwashing sinks at the buffet entrance on all new builds.

Edited by chengkp75

My husband witnessed the ultimate OMG I Can't Believe She Just Did That Moment on the Jewel last week. The ice dispenser at one of the drink stations in the buffet was empty when the lady in front of my husband tried to get ice. She proceeded to take her glass and scoop up the discarded ice that was accumulated on the drain tray, fill her glass with water and drink it!!! Is there any kind of sanitation spray for stupid?

Educate yourself on the subject and you will soon learn my claims are most accurate

http://www.berkeleywellness.com/self-care/over-counter-products/article/6-things-know-about-hand-sanitizers

http://www.healthguidance.org/entry/12838/1/Benefits-of-Hand-Sanitizers.html

http://www.livestrong.com/article/86149-advantages-alcohol-hand-sanitizer/

LMAO. You are wrong. Plain and simple. Have a nice day :D:D:D

Edited by bbryan5

Yada, yada, yada. Here's a quote from one of your noted websites:

"But the products are not as effective against norovirus (the most common cause of gastrointestinal illness worldwide, notably on cruise ships). A 2011 study in the American Journal of Infection Control, for example, found that there were more norovirus outbreaks in long-term care facilities that favored alcohol hand sanitizers over soap and water."

I don't have a horse in this race, but I'm pretty sure most folks here are mainly concerned about Noro. ;)

This actually kills germs and prevents the spread. Washy, washy actually does not.

This is the quote all my posts were referencing. LMB claimed hand sanitizer doesn't kill germs. He/She is 100% incorrect. Never were we talking about noro, but thanks for your input :confused::confused:

As a responsible adult, I prefer to be responsible and wash my hands with soap and hot water, often. This actually kills germs and prevents the spread. Washy, washy actually does not. It does give ignorant passengers the false belief they have washed their hands effectively when in reality they have not. If you enjoy the entertainment value, great, but don't try to convince anyone washy, washy helps prevent spread because I believe it actually encourages the spread of germs and diseases.

Well then, bbryan5, let's go ahead and provide the entire quote. They/he/she are simply stating "squirt, squirt", (a.k.a "washy, washy"), is ineffectual vs. a good hand washing with soap and hot water and may actually lead people to believe they have done all that is necessary to sanitize their hands.

Move on, I have. ;)

This is the quote all my posts were referencing. LMB claimed hand sanitizer doesn't kill germs. He/She is 100% incorrect. Never were we talking about noro, but thanks for your input :confused::confused:

If you can pull the quote where I claimed hand sanitizer does not kill germs I will gladly call you vastly more intelligent than I on the subject. You cannot, so you are not.

You clearly lost the argument so you are attempting to alter the narrative. Case closed? Heh heh

Edited by Love my butler

If you can pull the quote where I claimed hand sanitizer does not kill germs I will gladly call you vastly more intelligent than I on the subject. You cannot, so you are not.

You clearly lost the argument so you are attempting to alter the narrative. Case closed? Heh heh

I proved my point. Have a nice night. :D:D:D

BTW LMB:

"pre·ten·tious

prəˈten(t)SHəs/

adjective

attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed."

:D:D:D

HAHA Last time I checked! But according to some, "washy washy" helps spread germs LOL..

Miss you guys!

When is your next cruise? We are booked on the Dawn again, Nov 14, but may squeeze in Bermuda!! We have to get together sometime!! :cool: The DAWN, NOLA to the Western Caribbean was so much fun, but would have been better with you two!! We even met up with a group from Boston that are duck boat operators....