help me survive 5 in deluxe ov, dream

Yep...i am a lunatic. Booked a 7 day in a deluxe ov on the dream. It will be 4th of july weekend and it is not a cheap cruise. Kids have few shore excursions in mind and yada yada...i ended up with an extra teenager.

Have you ever done this? 2 adults, 2 teens, and a tween. At least we have an extra bathroom, right???

Any advice to make this,go smoother appreciated!!!

Even with the extra shower, I would recommend using the gym showers as a back up, especially if all 5 of you are trying to get ready at the same time for an early shore excursion or dinner. You might also want to establish a lights out time so that the 5 of you actually get some rest. And finally, I would recommend removing the robes from the closet and place the life jackets under one of the beds. You will need as much closet space as possible.

Would also recommend an over-the-door clear plastic shoe holder. Not for shoes--but for small things: undies, hair brushes, , toiletries, sunglasses, iPhones, etc. Helps keep the clutter to a minimum.

We always take one on our cruise!

CeleBrat

Thanks for the replies...also...my sister booked with one other person across the hall in an upper lower....she packs light and said i could store some things,under her bed yada yada....

Who has done this before??

Who thinks i can survive?

My pvp assured me that although tight, these rooms are made for 5 people

We've done it with our kids before. Luckily, we didn't spend much time in our room (and certainly the tweens didn't). Hubby and I took the big bathroom to get ready in. The kids got the small bathroom to get ready in. We also used the shoe holder on the back of the bathroom door for the kids.

There won't be a lot of floor space, but it really wasn't bad at all. The only dilemma we ran into was toilet time. If you had to "do your business," go somewhere else. ;)

LOL..You do read of folks who survive..great discussion tips already..each person can have a small version of those shoe hangers..in the way of a jewlerly hanger that can be used for each souls stuff...like nail clippers, jewelry, pers care, pills, everything...that can hang by each persons hangables. Then evenly divide and designate shelf and drawer space. Maybe all shoes in the person's suitcase and under all beds. Each soul take a beach bag to take with hanger or hanging toiletry kit to gym showers with needed clothes..stagger getting ready times on ship days. Yes rest times in the cabin..even nap times if needed...people can chat anywhere..not rest. But there are the sleeping on the shipo lounger options in quiet places for naps. GET AWAY YOURSELF FOR ME TIME. You might take 2/4 of those larger shoe bags..perhaps one can go on each side of bathroom doors...

Dirty towels in one area..Personal wipes for hygeine when out of towels. Dirty clothes plan..in with shoes in a laundry bag...or one big bag and folks do clothes once or something..though I hate doinng laundry on trip you can on Carnival..others can chime in with particulars...

These rooms are set up for 5 and that is good..keeping it neat helps and all can help with that..make sane packing lists. But above all...you are not camping..remember this..just sleeping in a room together...and everything you need to eat and drink is elsewhere on the ship!! Maybe air freshener..and everyone having the hand wash stuff..that just helps not giving each other a cold...

You will have a wonderful time..memories forever..

Get a massage for yourself...LOL...Sarah

Edited by sjn911

LOL..You do read of folks who survive..great discussion tips already..each person can have a small version of those shoe hangers..in the way of a jewlerly hanger that can be used for each souls stuff...like nail clippers, jewelry, pers care, pills, everything...that can hang by each persons hangables. Then evenly divide and designate shelf and drawer space. Maybe all shoes in the person's suitcase and under all beds. Each soul take a beach bag to take with hanger or hanging toiletry kit to gym showers with needed clothes..stagger getting ready times on ship days. Yes rest times in the cabin..even nap times if needed...people can chat anywhere..not rest. But there are the sleeping on the shipo lounger options in quiet places for naps. GET AWAY YOURSELF FOR ME TIME. You might take 2/4 of those larger shoe bags..perhaps one can go on each side of bathroom doors...

Dirty towels in one area..Personal wipes for hygeine when out of towels. Dirty clothes plan..in with shoes in a laundry bag...or one big bag and folks do clothes once or something..though I hate doinng laundry on trip you can on Carnival..others can chime in with particulars...

These rooms are set up for 5 and that is good..keeping it neat helps and all can help with that..make sane packing lists. But above all...you are not camping..remember this..just sleeping in a room together...and everything you need to eat and drink is elsewhere on the ship!! Maybe air freshener..and everyone having the hand wash stuff..that just helps not giving each other a cold...

You will have a wonderful time..memories forever..

Get a massage for yourself...LOL...Sarah

what wonderful advice Sarah!!!! Thank you so very much!! I will take all of the above advice.

Yep...i am a lunatic. Booked a 7 day in a deluxe ov on the dream. It will be 4th of july weekend and it is not a cheap cruise. Kids have few shore excursions in mind and yada yada...i ended up with an extra teenager.

Have you ever done this? 2 adults, 2 teens, and a tween. At least we have an extra bathroom, right???

Any advice to make this,go smoother appreciated!!!

simple, get rid of the extra teenager :D

hehe seriously though... consider using the showers in the spa when needed for getting ready... store bags under the beds... maybe bring a few extra hangers (plastic throw away kind from dollar store etc)... post it notes to let each other know where you are if you think that'd be a hassle... ask the steward to 'unmake' the couch bed during the day so you have somewhere to sit... toiletry bags for each person so there's not a sprawl in the bathroom... multi strip or plug in plug extender to get more outlets for charging things... some swear by those over the door shoe organizer things (though i've never used one - never had 5 in a cabin either though)... and perhaps most importantly - set some ground rules up front - in terms of clutter, mess, what to do with this or that, etc. evaluate the space you'll be sharing for your cruise, and come up with some things which will make it more workable for you all up front.

good luck :eek:

what wonderful advice Sarah!!!! Thank you so very much!! I will take all of the above advice.

Oh gosh..thank you for asking...it is inspiring family travel memories..

I am a major auntie and great auntie..LOL...and oldest of 4 girls...we camped in a trailer until I was around 12 or so and then we did more the summer cabin thing...my folks did take all grandkids on a 12 year old trippy trip but I as the oldest had least of the cruise type trips until adulthood (except the study abroad and travel that summer of 1980 at 20 that left me forever thirsty for travel) and I soon will finally do more God willing...

I have abt 7 cruises now between 20 and 55...

I am just going off memory on how we did it in that trailer..very similar deal...yes those baggies are cool ideas and mom used the old ones with twistie ties LOL.. Yes for heavens sake.....I never flush those personal wipes or fem products..I like 2 kinds of wipes..one for one thing and one for the other..LOL. I think if ever affordable the bidet in a home is a wondeful thing and helps folks sharing those..suites..they have them..the top ones. But your room is better because of this killer two bathroom idea.

I think your effort and love for doing this is fabulous and letting the kid have a friend who needs one, wonderful..I so wanted to do a cruise with my folks and sisters even as adults..now just hoping to get my dad on one,,I am grateful for my memories,,but just so happy families can do this..you will never regret these memories with them now!!!

Mom passed 2012 and all memories flood in..and now are more of a comfort than sad...I forever have a thankful perspectve on the "crowded" times..LOL..Sarah

RE the wipes..I never travel without..or go out without a tiny pouch of them...a friend taught me that..it helps so much when "not your turn for the shower" at our family cabin now with soooo many and travelling or getting stuck at airport etc.

PS..a first aid kit, with all the little travel complaint possibilites helps and cuts and burn remedies..etc spread out between group or in common bag and pop allowance per person or cabin, can get that aat port and send on in cheap bag or box I think..if you can get carrey help with the folks at pier for money saving....OR just keep it to water, lemonade, tea and a personal mug or glass for all to bring...and the free ice cream is fabullous for all to cool off and treat at any time in lido.

Edited by sjn911