Staff for Dinner

wilfros

We have just found out that a very good friend of ours will be working on Magic the week we sail. Are we able to make arrangements to have her join us for a dinner during the cruise. If so how do we go about organizing this?

We have just found out that a very good friend of ours will be working on Magic the week we sail. Are we able to make arrangements to have her join us for a dinner during the cruise. If so how do we go about organizing this?

I believe she would have to make arrangements through her workplace (supervisor, etc) to join you. I'm not sure whether she would be able to join you in the MDR at your regular table. If your table is full, they would have to move you to another table. Or you could maybe make reservations at Palo to include her.

If you are traveling Concierge, contact the Shoreside Concierge people and ask them how to arrange it.

If you're not Concierge, I'd suggest a visit to Guest Services once onboard.

It depends on what department, etc. your friend is in. We have a friend who is sometimes on a ship that we are on. I sent him a note thru GS which (as required) was delivered to his manager. The manager quizzed him as to how he knew us, etc.(we did not meet while he was employed), and denied him the ability to contact us in any way. Not knowing this, I wrote another note and gave it to someone I knew to be a friend of his on the ship--seems it went thru the same process. I later saw the friend and asked whether he knew if our friend had gotten the notes. He told me yes, they had been delivered and explained that the manager deemed it a policy violation for him to communicate with us while we were guests on the ship.

We later saw our friend by the adult pool (yes, he's one of THOSE CMs). He saw us, dressed, and came over. I said that I'd love to talk with him, but to please not get into trouble on our account. He pointed out that there was no possible violation at the pool as we were both fully dressed and he was standing the requisite 6 feet away from a female guest....and we had a nice chat. He didn't badmouth the manager, but basically said that he had to abide by the rules the manager made and he was terribly sorry that there was no way for him to tell me that earlier.

Why this might matter...in my first note I gave him our table number and dining rotation and suggested he join us IF permitted and his schedule allowed. Now the real funny thing--on a different cruise, different manager, he did have dinner with us.

I DO know that if a family member is a guest, a CM is sometimes allowed to eat with them.

Bottom line--I can't quote you the rules, but it seems to me that it has a great deal to do with the manager. And I know there are very strict rules about CM and guest "fraternization." It does make a difference whether the CM is someone you met on a previous cruise when he/she was working (in which case contact will be denied) or someone you met under other circumstances (in which case you might be permitted).

Just a thought, but Techie can probably give us the accurate scoop on policy.

Edited by moki'smommy

I believe she would have to make arrangements through her workplace (supervisor, etc) to join you. I'm not sure whether she would be able to join you in the MDR at your regular table. If your table is full, they would have to move you to another table. Or you could maybe make reservations at Palo to include her.

If you are traveling Concierge, contact the Shoreside Concierge people and ask them how to arrange it.

If you're not Concierge, I'd suggest a visit to Guest Services once onboard.

This is partially correct.

Depending on the CM's position, unless they were a 4 stripe or above they would submit an application to their line manager, who would then process that through their departmental head. Hotel, Entertainment, Engineering, so the Hotel Director, Cruise Director, Chief Engineer, Staff Captain.

Contacting shoreside Concierge will do you absolutely no good whatsoever.

If the CM is staff (deck crew, hospitality, cleaning) it is unlikely they will be permitted to dine as they will have assigned duties during the dining times.

If the CM is a YAC, Entertainment Tech, Entertainment Cast (Stage, Fury or Cruise Staff), or a vendor such as the Photog's, Spa, then they may be permitted as long as that it does not interfere with their schedules or cause unnecessary disruption to their duty's and managers are usually a little more flexible, but it still depends on the Cruise Director/Hotel Director signing it off that it will not cause a disruption to either the Ent's or Hotel dept.

Bear in mind that if the CM is a Main Stage or Fury, they will most likely be performing during the dinner service times.

If they are a Bridge Officer, or 1 1/2 - 2 stripes Engineering, they stand a very good chance.

The correct procedure is for the CM to apply to their line manager where appropriate in advance of the cruise, and for the Guest to speak to Guest Services when they board to also request and confirm that they wish to dine with the CM.

If you are related in someway, that helps a great deal. Just friends doesn't usually cut it.

As always in Guest areas, only 3 1/2 stripes and above may consume alcohol in a Guest area unless permitted by a 4 stripe and above.

This is the information is correct to the best of my knowledge.

HTH's

ex techie

It depends on what department' date=' etc. your friend is in. We have a friend who is sometimes on a ship that we are on. I sent him a note thru GS which (as required) was delivered to his manager. The manager quizzed him as to how he knew us, etc.(we did not meet while he was employed), and denied him the ability to contact us in any way. Not knowing this, I wrote another note and gave it to someone I knew to be a friend of his on the ship--seems it went thru the same process. I later saw the friend and asked whether he knew if our friend had gotten the notes. He told me yes, they had been delivered and explained that the manager deemed it a policy violation for him to communicate with us while we were guests on the ship.

We later saw our friend by the adult pool (yes, he's one of THOSE CMs). He saw us, dressed, and came over. I said that I'd love to talk with him, but to please not get into trouble on our account. He pointed out that there was no possible violation at the pool as we were both fully dressed and he was standing the requisite 6 feet away from a female guest....and we had a nice chat. He didn't badmouth the manager, but basically said that he had to abide by the rules the manager made and he was terribly sorry that there was no way for him to tell me that earlier.

Why this might matter...in my first note I gave him our table number and dining rotation and suggested he join us IF permitted and his schedule allowed. Now the real funny thing--on a different cruise, different manager, he did have dinner with us.

I DO know that if a family member is a guest, a CM is sometimes allowed to eat with them.

Bottom line--I can't quote you the rules, but it seems to me that it has a great deal to do with the manager. And I know there are very strict rules about CM and guest "fraternization." It does make a difference whether the CM is someone you met on a previous cruise when he/she was working (in which case contact will be denied) or someone you met under other circumstances (in which case you might be permitted).

Just a thought, but Techie can probably give us the accurate scoop on policy.[/quote']

All of the above is correct.

For the Ent's department, your Company Manager if Main Stage, Character Manager, or Departmental Manager, and Technical Production Manager and to an extent the Cruise Director play a massive part in them agreeing the dining permission.

Being Disney, it is a long convoluted drawn out process, with lots of paper shuffling and rubber stamping.

Hence why in my post above I recommend the CM notify their line manager at least a week in advance.

ex techie

Given all your replies plus the fact that she is just joining the ship 3 weeks before our cruise I think it best to just say "Hi" when we see her and not rock the boat so to speak.

I never imagined it would be such a production and we most certainly do not want to single her out over something as simple as a meal in the dinning room.

I am glad you pointed all this out so that we were warned beforehand.

Sorry ex techie but I don't know the names of the departments. She is going to be a youth coordinator (I believe) and will be working with the kids. I hope that explains it for you.

Ah, a YAC, Youth Activities Councillor thats good!

She will have deck privileges so if her off duty time permits, she will be able to join you in Guest spaces such as the pool deck, Cove Cafe and lounges without having to acquire permission, just be in "Disney Look" attire appropriate to those spaces.

Unfortunately she will not be able to eat food from any Guest area though, and will have to stick to water, soda's or coffee.

Hope you manage to catch up with them!

ex techie

Department makes a huge difference as some staff are permitted to eat in MDRs (entertainment staff come to mind - most are not). If that's the case it will be a whole lot easier to arrange.

Where did you hear that Loonbeam?

2 stripe and above Ent's techs & YAC managers always have had pool deck food privileges.

And that was widened to some Ent's techs in the past couple of years due to challenges of getting to the Crew Mess during service times before or between shows.

MDR's require permission from the line manager, Cruise Director & Hotel Director AFAIK.

ex techie

Think I phrased that wrong. Meant to say Entertainment DID, most OTHERS do not... I wasn't sure on youth crew.

Where did you hear that Loonbeam?

2 stripe and above Ent's techs & YAC managers always have had pool deck food privileges.

And that was widened to some Ent's techs in the past couple of years due to challenges of getting to the Crew Mess during service times before or between shows.

MDR's require permission from the line manager, Cruise Director & Hotel Director AFAIK.

ex techie

Think I phrased that wrong. Meant to say Entertainment DID, most OTHERS do not... I wasn't sure on youth crew.

No worries! All cleared up!

No Ent's staff all the way up to TPM or Youth Activities Managers have MDR privileges without prior permission from the CD.

Some are allowed Quick Service on deck.

I will say that most other cruise lines DO allow Ent's staff this privilege, DCL are very strict, and ONE of the reasons why they do sometimes struggle to keep good Ent's staff when other lines offer many more perks.

Listings that show available since Oct '14......

http://dcl.disneycareers.com/en/search-jobs/jobsearch-results/?jqs=%5B%7B%22c%22%3A%22Shipboard%252CBS%22%2C%22co%22%3A%22Disney%2520Cruise%2520Line%22%2C%22jc%22%3A%22Theatrical%2520%252F%2520Shows%2520%252F%2520Stage%2520Production%22%2C%22q%22%3A%22%22%2C%22r%22%3A%22%22%7D%5D&cid=11794

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

I think the CDs may be a little relaxed at least for lunches. On our last dream cruise we dined with two of the singers at lunch one day and another on a different one.

Because of the Rotational Dining and fixed tables as well as schedule, I would not expect to see them at dinner.

But yes, it does seem to be more common to see them on other lines.

No worries! All cleared up!

No Ent's staff all the way up to TPM or Youth Activities Managers have MDR privileges without prior permission from the CD.

Some are allowed Quick Service on deck.

I will say that most other cruise lines DO allow Ent's staff this privilege, DCL are very strict, and ONE of the reasons why they do sometimes struggle to keep good Ent's staff when other lines offer many more perks.

Listings that show available since Oct '14......

http://dcl.disneycareers.com/en/search-jobs/jobsearch-results/?jqs=%5B%7B%22c%22%3A%22Shipboard%252CBS%22%2C%22co%22%3A%22Disney%2520Cruise%2520Line%22%2C%22jc%22%3A%22Theatrical%2520%252F%2520Shows%2520%252F%2520Stage%2520Production%22%2C%22q%22%3A%22%22%2C%22r%22%3A%22%22%7D%5D&cid=11794

ex techie

I think the CDs may be a little relaxed at least for lunches. On our last dream cruise we dined with two of the singers at lunch one day and another on a different one.

Because of the Rotational Dining and fixed tables as well as schedule, I would not expect to see them at dinner.

But yes, it does seem to be more common to see them on other lines.

Sounds very much like the "Principle" main Stage performers have managed to secure additional benefits.

I doubt the Fury's have, and they, IMO, are the ones that really deserve that privilege.

ex techie

Wasn't main cast, backups if I recall. Honestly woudln't have recognized them if someone hadn't said something.

Might just be that CD being more permissive than others too. I know for sure I would be unless I had reasons not to.

Sounds very much like the "Principle" main Stage performers have managed to secure additional benefits.

I doubt the Fury's have, and they, IMO, are the ones that really deserve that privilege.

ex techie

We noticed A LOT of crew eating lunch in Cabanas on the 14 night cruises last summer. It seemed the rules had been significantly relaxed from our previous experiences. This included entertainment staff and low ranking "suits."

On the other hand, the ship wasn't full nor were the dining spaces.

The only CMs we saw in MDRs were dining with their families--we've seen that before.

We have seen YAC eating with their families in the MDRs on previous cruises...one even explained to us that it was a special deal as her family was cruising that week.

Edited by moki'smommy

Wasn't main cast, backups if I recall. Honestly woudln't have recognized them if someone hadn't said something.

Might just be that CD being more permissive than others too. I know for sure I would be unless I had reasons not to.

Could be a new contract perk to attract the right level of performers?

ex techie

I had the pleasure of speaking with an entertainment CM on my last cruise. I met her because I was assigned to the same dinner table as some long-time friends of hers. They had arranged for her to join us in the main dining room one night for part of dinner (sitting in an otherwise empty seat that wasn't being used that cruise). I don't know the process involved, but she did have to provide her crew ID, presumably to pay for the food she ate (but I don't know how much).

Later on she joined us in the post Pirate Night / fireworks buffet. She indicated that her group had earned some special privileges. I don't don't remember the details but it seems like managers are able to grant those privileges for work well done, etc. The right to eat in the guest buffet area (such as Cabana's or Beach Blanket) for a certain number of days can be one of those perks.

I take it DCL has specific dining areas for entertainers, YACs, etc. I have sailed Holland America several times and since they seem to have fewer of those types of employees they don't bother building them their own dining room and instead have them eat their meals in the Lido buffet.

f dinner (sitting in an otherwise empty seat that wasn't being used that cruise). I don't know the process involved, but she did have to provide her crew ID, presumably to pay for the food she ate (but I don't know how much).

Later on she joined us in the post Pirate Night / fireworks buffet. She indicated that her group had earned some special privileges. I don't don't remember the details but it seems like managers are able to grant those privileges for work well done, etc. The right to eat in the guest buffet area (such as Cabana's or Beach Blanket) for a certain number of days can be one of those perks.

I take it DCL has specific dining areas for entertainers, YACs, etc. I have sailed Holland America several times and since they seem to have fewer of those types of employees they don't bother building them their own dining room and instead have them eat their meals in the Lido buffet.

Yes, DCL has almost another "city" beneath the guest areas. There is both a crew mess and an officer's mess, a crew gym, bar, pool, etc.

And yes, individuals or teams can earn special privileges that include things like dinner at Palo, being able to attend pirate buffet, etc. Funny that when they earn Palo, they are specifically told how much to tip. I would expect that since it is a reward, that reward should include the tip as well.

If a CM is permitted to eat at Palo with family, they (or family) does pay the upcharge for them. I don't believe there is a charge if they are permitted to eat in the MDR (but I have no "hard" information on this.) We were certainly never told by either DCL or our friend that there would be a charge for him joining us. Of course, we did add a bit to the tip, but we usually do that anyhow.

Yes' date=' DCL has almost another "city" beneath the guest areas. There is both a crew mess and an officer's mess, a crew gym, bar, pool, etc.

And yes, individuals or teams can earn special privileges that include things like dinner at Palo, being able to attend pirate buffet, etc. Funny that when they earn Palo, they are specifically told how much to tip. I would expect that since it is a reward, that reward should include the tip as well.

If a CM is permitted to eat at Palo with family, they (or family) does pay the upcharge for them. I don't believe there is a charge if they are permitted to eat in the MDR (but I have no "hard" information on this.) We were certainly never told by either DCL or our friend that there would be a charge for him joining us. Of course, we did add a bit to the tip, but we usually do that anyhow.[/quote']

I think my sister did sign something each meal she ate with me in the MDR. And unless things have changed since last February, they have to pay for their own Palo meal. I know she had gotten permission to do brunch with me but opted not to do dinner there because she'd have to pay for it, and when I said I would have she said "No, they won't let you" - and they can get in trouble if money is seen changing hands to reimburse them for it.

WOW, I'm surprised that family can't pay for their Palo charges....but DCL rules are pretty strict. And yes, you can't give money to non-tipped CMs or they are required to turn it in to their manager--depending on department it is donated to a charity or used for a department party.

I never saw the cast members we ate with being charged. I think they just need to identify themselves to help with usage counts, etc. There may be a backend accounting process too to move funds from crew to passenger services.

Also, I don't think they have bar/charge privileges in the MDR.

Yes' date=' DCL has almost another "city" beneath the guest areas. There is both a crew mess and an officer's mess, a crew gym, bar, pool, etc.

If a CM is permitted to eat at Palo with family, they (or family) does pay the upcharge for them. I don't believe there is a charge if they are permitted to eat in the MDR (but I have no "hard" information on this.) We were certainly never told by either DCL or our friend that there would be a charge for him joining us. Of course, we did add a bit to the tip, but we usually do that anyhow.[/quote']

I think my sister did sign something each meal she ate with me in the MDR. And unless things have changed since last February, they have to pay for their own Palo meal. I know she had gotten permission to do brunch with me but opted not to do dinner there because she'd have to pay for it, and when I said I would have she said "No, they won't let you" - and they can get in trouble if money is seen changing hands to reimburse them for it.

Thats a real shame :(

You could have transferred the money into your sisters bank account though if you'd have known.

ex techie