Dawn Room Questions

mcgilson

Need some help deciding which type of room to book for 2/12 Dawn sailing. This is our first cruise. We currently have an interior room on hold, cabin number 8589. How are interior rooms? Will we be miserable w/out natural light for 12 days? any opinions or feedback would be great. Our friends have an obstructed ocean view booked and the price difference is $600 b/w the interior & obstructed. Is it worth the extra $600 to get an obstructed view???

One more question, is there a difference b/w the interior room that faces sideways?? (cabin number 8087). Wondering if that may be a bit bigger?? Thanks for your help!

Welcome aboard - we have a large group of experienced Dawn Cruisers on the roll call for your cruise. This will be my fourth Feb cruise on the Dawn. Here is a link to the rollcall. Only 1200: posts to go thru.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=4577924#post4577924

Only you can decide what cabin you will be comfortable with. Some on our cruise have taken an inside every year. They use the $600 to enjoy other things.

I on the other hand would find the extra $50 a day a good investment for a great location (deck 8) and some natural light. It is important to me to know if it is day or night - sun or rain

Only you know what you will be comfortable with and what your budbet can handle. No matter what cabin you select you get all that the Dawn has to offer.

I can't personally imagine being in an inside room for that period of time, but it really is a personal decision.

As to room sizes, use the NCL booking engine to give you exact square footage. Input as though you are booking the room you are interested in; when it shows you that room's availability, there will be a link for details.

A lot of what you decide is personal preference. You will find some people feel that all they ever do is change clothes and sleep in their cabins therefore they get to use the extra dollars for other things. If this is the way you think, an inside will be fine. The Dawn is a beautiful ship with many places to go.

You will probably find you get about as many people agree with an inside as don't :). Personally, I kind of like having at least a window for some natural light, but if it meant the difference between cruising and not cruising I would take the inside in a minute :D.

I would rather be able to afford two cruises in inside cabins over one in a suite. I usually only sleep and change in the cabin. I have had outside cabins and haven't found the small portholes to be worth it.

Some caveats. All of my cruises have been 8 days or less. Also, DW and I are sailing on the Dawn next month for our 25th anniversary. I got a deal on a balcony that I couldn't pass up. DW will be surprised. I will see if it spoils me. The thought of morning coffee on the balcony does sound good. I can also relax, read, and watch the scenery without worrying about chair hogs.

My entire attitude about this may change next month.

Davy Jones...

"....I will see if it spoils me....."

I will be very surprised if it doesn't. I can't even consider cruising without a balcony now that I've experienced it....especially on longer Caribbean cruises. There's nothing like watching the docking and leaving ports on your own balcony with a drink or a cup of coffee. There's nothing like sitting in the dark at midnite watching the wake and the stars while enjoying a nitecap. Being able to sit there and read, enjoy breakfast or take a quickie nap is wonderful. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Happy cruising!

As others have said, it boils down to personal preference - some people cannot tolerate inside cabins while others actually prefer them. I fall into the latter category. Not only is it much cheaper but the total darkness is extremely conducive to a good night's sleep. The $600 difference for an obstructed view is absolutely not worth it to me.

Need some help deciding which type of room to book for 2/12 Dawn sailing. This is our first cruise. We currently have an interior room on hold, cabin number 8589. How are interior rooms? Will we be miserable w/out natural light for 12 days? any opinions or feedback would be great. Our friends have an obstructed ocean view booked and the price difference is $600 b/w the interior & obstructed. Is it worth the extra $600 to get an obstructed view???

One more question, is there a difference b/w the interior room that faces sideways?? (cabin number 8087). Wondering if that may be a bit bigger?? Thanks for your help!

Do you mean an obstructed view window or balcony ? That can make a difference. If it's a window you don't get the added benefits that those spoke having coffee, reading, relaxing etc. If it's a balcony you can do those things but may not have much of a view for arriving/departing ports.

We had inside cabins on our cruises 1999 and before, and was fine with it. These were ships that did not have balconies and when we did have a window the 2nd time on the Horizon, we felt it wasn't worth it. My husband read and relaxed up on deck in a quiet area while I was getting ready for dinner. We both got ready early in the morning and grabbed coffee and enjoyed the quiet expanse of the upper decks coming into port or views of the ocean. Just lovely and private !!

We did have balconies on the Dawn and Legend and enjoyed them but we probably don't use it as much as others do; so it depends on your habits. Keep in mind you will only use the balconies in the Carribbean going out of NY in Feb. (as we did on 2 cruises) so it just may not be worth it. The balconies are very small and you really can't have a meal out there just coffee or drinks. For our S. Car. cruise we were probably up on deck about half the times for ariving/departing ports and once in the secluded hot tub (nice) !Again depends on your habits.

I did explore an inside sideways cabin on the Dawn and it looked quite roomy. The storage was the same as for the std. balcony cabin but the bathroom did not have the partitions; which I would have preferred. With the partitions, you really can't fit 2 people in there anyway and I felt like I was in a closet. For the right price I would stay in this type of cabin and just use the public deck areas more.

Remember to pack a night light (we use the button glow type- not too bright) and for our cruise in Oct. (back to inside) we'll try the suggestion here on CC to leave the TV on to the ships view channel, with the volume off. You should be able to at least see a modified sunrise and know when it's morning.

We'll let ya know ....

Either way have a great cruise, you should enjoy it ... we just love the Dawn ...

AC Cabin 9500 is 314 sq ft with a 212 sq ft balcony. AC Cabin 10002 is 275 sq ft with a 212 sq ft balcony.

Both have the same furnishings and amenities.

You have to choose, do you want a larger cabin or a larger balcony? Remember, you're in the bow of the ship. It's windy when they are sailing.

We had cabin 9502 booked for 9/4 but was offered and upsell to an Owners Suites 10506 and took that.

I think Shoreguy is on his way to Dover, England to sail the Jewel back to New York on 9/4.

Whatever you choose, you win.

Happy Sailing.

happy traveler 60

Actually an aft suite, either Category AE or AD would be a downgrade. The bow suites are the better cabins. The balconies on the Aft are only 74-78 sqft.

We stayed in 9236 in May, It was great, but have to try the bow now. Will be in 10506 tomorrow.

We'll let you know how bad the wind really is.

Happy Sailing,

I got an obstructed view for $40 per person over the inside category rate. I'm doing the 12/1 Dawn. I would not pay $600 for the difference between the categories.

Wow, that's great !! Now that's a deal I would jump on ....

We're paying $600 p/person more for the balcony cabin for our POAm cruise next year... I don't know... it's Hawaii, probably the last time there, but we don't spend that much time in the cabin especially with this port intensive itinerary... I can't see lulling in the morning and when we get back to the ship the upper decks should be empty until 6 pm .. $1200 can buy a lot of drinks, and all our excursions for the week ... time to reconsider .. ;)

Archived