ANC to Seward Itinerary Question

Djaye

Is it possible to do this itinerary in one day, getting into Seward in time for dinner? We are not hikers.

Leave ANC early a.m.

Stops at major points along Turnagain Arm

Stop at Alyeska and tram to top

Stop at AK Wildlife Conservation Ctr

Stop at Portage Glacier

Stop at Exit Glacier

We could do Exit another day while in Seward, if we ran out of time. Any comments appreciated.

Thanks!

You would have time for everything but maybe Exit Glacier.

At the Portage Glacier: The glacier it self can't be seen from the road. So I recommend the one hour Portage Lake Glacier Cruise. It's relatively inexpensive and gets you right up to the glacier.

Yes, you could include the list, if it doesn't matter when you get to Seward?

As for the Arm, frankly, it's mostly a "drive", stopping at all the pull offs is going to probably get old by time you get to Bird Creek. :) Belugas are rare to see and so are bore tides, which could take up a lot of time. Portage Glacier can be an hours stop, interesting exhibits, ranger programs, and the boat tour as mentioned. It hasn't been reported that the Conservatory takes a lot of time?

There are ranger programs at Exit that may be of interest, so check the schedules perhaps with your visit timing.

I read a trip report where a traveller spent 11 hrs on this drive !

A lot will depend on the weather and what you see/experience along the way. ie a walk on the Potters Marsh boardwalk could take 15 minutes, or if there's a moose at the end you might spend an hour).

Keep in mind that it's only about 125 miles from Anc to Seward ..... if you're running out of time ( or energy) Exit Glacier is just a shuttle ride away tomorrow.

p.s. I recommend Summit Lake Lodge for an ice cream break. It's about 30 miles past the Wildlife Conservation Center.

p.p.s see if your library has the MILEPOST. If so, make a copy of the pages for Seward Hwy. When I drive in Alaska, I find the Milepost to be invaluable. The mileposts are marked for the typical sights, but also the milepost where moose are often sighted or where you'll find a stream filled with salmon .