Oasis review -First time cruisers- Jan 24 Eastern

We completed a wonderful cruise yesterday on Oasis of the Seas.

Spent months reading many reviews, and spending much time on this addictive board. So wanted to a do a review from a new cruiser perspective and also from a family with a 3.5 year old. Saw many threads that had many issues, concerns and tips and want to let you how some of them turned out for us (tips, service, drinks, crowds etc.)

First off after much debate we choose not to do the mouse, as it was 70% more expensive, yet we kept second guessing ourselves that we made a mistake taking a 3.5 year on a more adult themed ship rather than Disney. To keep give you a quick preview, the 3.5 year cried leaving the ship (mommy's eyes were moist too)

We had a good time an found lots of positives. Rather than say thing were bad would be more fair to say that we found room for improvement for Royal and for us on how to plan and enjoy a cruise.

oh yea one more thing not a pro photographer, took pictures with my iphone 6, many others have posted much, much better pictures than I took but if you curious and I have a picture of part of the ship you are interested, I'll posted others won't torture you with amateur iphone 6 pictures :)

So on to the Review

Travel -

We are from Toronto, so that means flying down. I had enough points for 3 tickets, yay! Because these are reward tickets could not get tickets the day before the cruise, could only get it the day of, NOT yay!

Initially, I was not worries, then I was reading a nice thread about when to fly out and the worried started.

So in the in the end good news, flight leaves on time, get there there on time so far so good

What about our bags..... waiting....waiting only our few people left waiting for bags and not a single bag has come out yet. Now I have visions of the that poor lady that posted her review where they lost her bag and she spend a week without her bag. She gave us a great idea to cross pack, but if none of your bags show up cross packing is a bust! DW is starting to panic and I the usually calm one, feels his BP rising :rolleyes:

Finally our bags come out and the carousel stops, literally the last bags off the plane

So got there on time all our bags got there, would I ever do it again, HELL NO!!! To much stress and the worst part an this is to the parents out there we had to get up at 2:30AM with a 3 year. Felt we were behind the 8 ball whole cruise trying to catch up sleep had a tired kid most of the trip.

Lesson learned. Can you get away with same day flying sure, but personally would rather pay for a hotel room and get their earlier and truly enjoy the trip.

Transfer to Port Everglades.

Attention all Parents traveling, Florida is now enforcing child seats on TAXIS!:confused: We had planned on taking a taxi to the Ship. I don't like take her without a seat but I wasn't going to take our expensive child seat for 10-15 minute. When she was a baby was another thing for trip this year we winged it and thought we could do it again. NOPE lined up and told they wouldn't take us. Then we go to the Shuttle service and guess what, they would take us on the shuttle either :eek:. How the heck were we going to leave the airport!!!

RCL to the rescue :D. The RCL shuttle would take us without a seat, was the most expensive option, but it got it there. DW and I said if that our trip glitch then that ok here is the $33.50(They were nice did not charge us for our DD) and get us to the ship :D.

Parent do your homework make your calls if you are not going to bring a child seat.

Boarding -

Let me just echo every other reviews. Embarkations is smooth super quick and extremely organized.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about what you thought about the Oasis. We're thinking of sailing her in November - and have only sailed on the smaller ships. I'm a little nervous about the "big" ships. Let me know what you thought about the # of people, crowdedness (is that a word??) etc.

Thank you!

Michelle

I'm looking forward to hearing more about what you thought about the Oasis. We're thinking of sailing her in November - and have only sailed on the smaller ships. I'm a little nervous about the "big" ships. Let me know what you thought about the # of people, crowdedness (is that a word??) etc.

Thank you!

Michelle

My husband and I have sailed both Oasis and Allure and are heading back on Oasis in May. We have never felt "crowded" on the larger ship. This past summer I sailed on one of RCCL smaller ships and I did not enjoy it, because I felt claustrophobic. We feel that the Oasis class provides not only amazing amenities, but also plenty of elbow room.

Happy sailing~

We completed a wonderful cruise yesterday on Oasis of the Seas.

First off after much debate we choose not to do the mouse, as it was 70% more expensive, yet we kept second guessing ourselves that we made a mistake taking a 3.5 year on a more adult themed ship rather than Disney. To keep give you a quick preview, the 3.5 year cried leaving the ship (mommy's eyes were moist too)

I am soooo glad to hear there as this is us too (except out kids will be 10.5 and 6.5 years when we go). Did the price comparisons and $2000 difference (and worse depending if the dollar takes a dive). So we booked Allure but spent the next couple weeks also second guessing if we did the right thing. But..the more and more I read, the more excited I am and know these ships are amazing for kids. So glad to hear that your 3.5 year old felt the same! Look forward to hearing a full review....and would love to see any pictures you'd like to share. Can never see too many (gets me even more excited) and I'm sure you have some unique ones too.

PS - We're from Toronto too

Edited by LuCruise

Ok here we go again, Little one is in bed.

So we have an easy embarkation and we are on Oasis around 11:30, rooms available for 1pm lunch and exploration. Let's talk about room and ship size and layout hot topics for Oasis ;)

Cabin -

This one is room for improvement for me! Didn't do enough research before we booked. Asked around and went the cheap route got an inside cabin. I got a great deal on an inside cabin and figured not going to be in the room much so why pay more. When I asked around the boards most said balcony only a few said inside was ok, had to live it to have a real opinion.

So first note inside cabin are in the front of the ship this matters when we talk about layout. First impression was OMG it's small feels like a closet! By the end of the cruise felt cosy and comfy. It was 3 of us in cabin little one is small enough we didn't open the pull out or it would have been TOO tight. Good shower, wonderful pressure DW won't stop talking about it. Best part is closet and storage. We were able to unpack into all the storage space and put away the bags, so that make the room functional and not cluttered. If not for the closet cabin could not have been functional.

So what's the room for improvement. Well, heard people posting about how much they like looking at the ocean and on and on. and how having breakfast on balcony is nice and on on, every review and pictures balcony. I was thinking who cares, well it seems I do. Ended up falling in love with looking out at ocean, wanted to have breakfast with a view. So every time wanted to see the ocean had to leave the room. Other thing is in the morning it was pitch dark, had no concept of night and day, this a bit odd we are all used to windows. We were ok, but really felt it was missing. Let me echo another sentiment if you have kids they can be sleeping and adults can sneak on to balcony.

Over all we were happy, but could have done with more. If your budget can't support it, honestly you will still have a good time. If your budget can support it upgrade.

Saw request for some pics. DD boarding

IMG_2707.jpg.c5b8162fe710dbac364f7d7644adea5b.jpg

IMG_2709.jpg.7bd13347ed7c5371409a215f9d5b594c.jpg

Ship Size, Layout crowds

Yup it's a big SHIP. If you have mobility issues you might not like it.

So big ship, the good layout and this plays into room selection. So let's talk :D

Deck 5 Royal promenade open area located in center of the ship At either end you will find two banks of Elevators

Deck 8 Is the famous Central park located directly above the Royal Promenade

Deck 6 is The boardwalk it' Aft Starting at AquaTheater to bank of elevator at start of Royal Promenade.

What's in the aft(Back) of the ship:

Aquatheather, Sabor, Johnny Rockets, customer service, Focus(Pictures), MDR. WindJammer, Sports Zone, H2O, Mini Golf, Flow Rider

What's forward: Adventure Ocean (Kids Club), Opal Theater, Comedy theater, Vitality Spa, Dazzles and Solarium

Everything else is roughly center (Forgive me I'm sure I forgot some)

So what it's looking like Heavy towards Aft. Especially to eat! So we had a forward room. Kept going back and forth along the ship.

Room to Restaurant and then if we want back to the room to change or drop off DD at Kids club back to Forward. So kept going Forward/aft, aft/Forward. For what we were using we would prefer to be Center or Aft rather than forward.

Walking back and forward along the room hallways sucks. It's a bit narrow, cabin attends usually working and don't know why but it felt longer. We like best to walk across the park, it was least crowed. Royal promenade you always get stuck around the main shop in the middle. They have frequent sales and that attracts crowds and if you're in a hurry you get stuck there. I would also cross the ship topside Deck 15 or 16, but park was the best.

Did I mention crowds oh no 6000 people on board, it's crowed?:confused:

Ok, so I read many many threads and opinions on this and they seem to fall into into one of 3 opinions:

1. I hate large ships, will never same sail them, HATE OASIS class

2. Never felt like there are 6000 guess, no crowds

3. Too crowed don't like, won't do oasis class again.

So how did reality play out for us. Mostly 2, but yes let's be realistic there were some crowds.

Most times you really don't feel there are that many people, like I said above would usually cross the ship in the park because it always felt empty. BUT there are times people are about and certain areas sure have crowds like when the sales go on in they royal promenade.

So here is your warning and when you get on don't freak out!! Right before Muster drill, everything closes and everyone is not in there room they are on their way to muster station so yes for about 30-60 minutes, it is and feels crowed. The only time central park was full. That is only because everything is closed and everyone is on the move. Please, please don't think that is what the cruise will be like. Venues open and the 6000 people spread out and you won't feel that way again. To me even on Sea days I we found lounge chair, and a good one in Solarium.

On one last thing for tonight

Elevators people love to hate. Sometimes you get lucky sometimes you wait a bit, can't remember every waiting more than 3-4 minutes. When I have in a hurry I would take the stairs. To be fair I used the Forward bank of elevators more often as it was closer to our room. So maybe the aft bank are busier, but it didn't feel like that to me when we were using it.

Happy Cruising more to come

Great tip about the car seat! We have a 4.5 flying in to cruise with us in March. She wasn't sure whether or not to bring booster seat, car seat, or skip it. Now we know to check FL laws. Was it an issue on excursions?

Great tip about the car seat! We have a 4.5 flying in to cruise with us in March. She wasn't sure whether or not to bring booster seat, car seat, or skip it. Now we know to check FL laws. Was it an issue on excursions?

This new enforcement was for Florida, we were ok elsewhere. When we came back had a late flight going out so to avoid the issues we rented a car with a car seat. To be specific forgot to mention it's for kids 5 and under. Cabs and the airport shuttle will not take kids under 5 without a car seat and guess what they don't have them, so you have to bring your own.

Private shuttle like the RCI, car rental and hotel shuttle should be ok, but I would still call if you are not planning to bring your car seat/booster.

Thanks for the review Duke_Mazer.

From your same town as you. Got 2 x 2 year olds and it's good to know about the car seat situation for taxis. I did not know as the last time I went to Florida (about 1.5 years ago), the car seat law was not enforced.

Damn...$33.50 for the shuttle with RCI. I was hoping to avoid going that route as we've got 12 people (8 adults and 4 kids) going!! Anyone have any recommendations for a cheaper way to get to and from the ship that is less costly than the RCI shuttle? Aieeeeeeee....

Thanks for the review Duke_Mazer.

From your same town as you. Got 2 x 2 year olds and it's good to know about the car seat situation for taxis. I did not know as the last time I went to Florida (about 1.5 years ago), the car seat law was not enforced.

Damn...$33.50 for the shuttle with RCI. I was hoping to avoid going that route as we've got 12 people (8 adults and 4 kids) going!! Anyone have any recommendations for a cheaper way to get to and from the ship that is less costly than the RCI shuttle? Aieeeeeeee....

Not sure if you can get away with this with your 2 year olds but our two kids were able to sit in booster seats. We took them on the plane with us with no extra charge. We just left them with the stewardess and she stowed them for us. Picked them up as we got off the plane. Between 4 adults to carry them, taking them wasn't any problem as they aren't as cumbersome to take as a car seat. If you can do that, you could get away without paying that $33.50 each. :eek:

Not sure if you can get away with this with your 2 year olds but our two kids were able to sit in booster seats. We took them on the plane with us with no extra charge. We just left them with the stewardess and she stowed them for us. Picked them up as we got off the plane. Between 4 adults to carry them, taking them wasn't any problem as they aren't as cumbersome to take as a car seat. If you can do that, you could get away without paying that $33.50 each. :eek:

Just checked and FL law seems to be car seats 0-3 and booster seats 4-6.

Well that stinks! :( I still think, with that many adults to help carry them, car seats would be the way to go instead of taking the shuttle. I've seen many families at the airport taking car seats. It's free to take them on an airplane. And the RCL shuttle is outrageously expensive! But maybe someone else has a better idea. ;)

Ok here we go again, Little one is in bed.

Cabin -

So what's the room for improvement. Well, heard people posting about how much they like looking at the ocean and on and on. and how having breakfast on balcony is nice and on on, every review and pictures balcony. I was thinking who cares, well it seems I do. Ended up falling in love with looking out at ocean, wanted to have breakfast with a view. So every time wanted to see the ocean had to leave the room. Other thing is in the morning it was pitch dark, had no concept of night and day, this a bit odd we are all used to windows. We were ok, but really felt it was missing. Let me echo another sentiment if you have kids they can be sleeping and adults can sneak on to balcony.

Over all we were happy, but could have done with more. If your budget can't support it, honestly you will still have a good time. If your budget can support it upgrade.

Saw request for some pics. DD boarding

DH and I love our ocean view balcony....one year we did the rm w/ the port hole view and vowed we would never do again. That balcony is very important to us and we hang there 1st thing in the morning, for morning coffee, going in and out from port, watching people run to the ship, last min, before the ship takes off :p, watcing other ships coming in and out of port, waving to folks on other ships in port, in the middle of the night, watching the ship returing to the home port.....and so much more.

I know there are lota folks who this is not important to and they are very satisfied w/ the inside cabin, but for us...we budget and plan $$ for this once/yr luxury to ourselves.

Happy sailing~

Ship Size, Layout crowds

Elevators people love to hate. Sometimes you get lucky sometimes you wait a bit, can't remember every waiting more than 3-4 minutes. When I have in a hurry I would take the stairs. To be fair I used the Forward bank of elevators more often as it was closer to our room. So maybe the aft bank are busier, but it didn't feel like that to me when we were using it.

DH and I "try" to use the elevators only when exhausted at night....using the steps help us to work off some of the weeks indulgences. I would hope that folks would save the elevators for the elderly, those w/ precious cargo in strollers, folks w/ physical disabilites...and those who just can't take one more step, :D but it is unfortunate to see the teens, not within the parents watchful eye, playing on the elevators and holding them up from others who do need them.....just my opinion.

So got you on board, in your room, around the ship and you are no longer worried about crowds :cool:

This next parts is for parents

Adventure Ocean (kids Club) -

Adventure ocean is Deck 14 forward can't miss it. Heard many good things about it and glad to say they were true for us.

So you may or may not know this, but the programs are split. They have toddlers, 3-5, 6-8 and 9-11 then teen stuff. Each group have their own separate room, with separate entrances. They have a science lab, arcade and a kids theater. Very nice area and it's CLEAN.

Kudos for the cleanliness as it's a kids area. One more nice thing for 3 year old they give you a phone (no extra cost) so if they need to get a hold of you, they can call. To bad they only do it for 3 year old.

They have Morning session till noon, afternoon session until 5pm

and then evening until 10pm. Then a late night from 10pm to 1am.

The late night will cost you $7/hr.

There is also in room babysitting until midnight for $19/hour.

Our little one is 3.5 so she was in the Aquanauts, the room all the way in forward right. Nice big room, had a nice slide, table chairs, some toys and again clean.

OK, so you need to register them on day one, we did it after lunch was a quick and easy. They will give your little one a lanyard and they will punch a hole in her sea pass. Seen many tips to go to Customer service desk to get that done, but line first day was long, so after they did my Daughters ask them to do ours too which was great!

Also speaking of first day. FREE arcade first day at 7:30pm don't miss out as games are $1-$3 usually so take advantage. Take note there are no sessions the first day.

When you check them into the club they ask for your room number to check you in and same to check you out. Each session has theme.

On our second day they was a tigers and butterfly and circus theme and at the end they had a Circus of the Seas, we thought it was a kids show :D. So we showed up 30 minutes before, and the theater is closed. I go to the Aquanauts room to see kids face painted and dress up. Wait a minute is not a show for the Kids. It's a show BY the kids with the parents in the audience. So DD had 30 minutes to get ready and she was part of show. They were so cute! So the theme session would lead to some shows like a Pirate show (funniest one) and a talent show (all age groups were in that one together). Beware of the Kung Fu Panda training. The face painting give them black eyes, looks cute but really hard to remove around the eyes.

Our DD loved it so much kept asking us to go back. She didn't go as much as she wanted. There is a lot to do on the ship and we never able to leave her in for long periods, sometimes for only 30 minutes and only did that because she was begging to go back. Heck on the last day we skipped the ice show because just want some down time at the pool and no more running around. Did get around to the mini golf till the second to last day too. Honestly that is good thing about this size ship, our Daughter seem to always have something to do.

They have a dark light puppet show which DD loved, heck I like it, music and voices almost sounded like a G-Rated Avenue Q.

You get a kids compass with the regular compass and requires some planning. As we found some event conflicted. To each his own we some kids there almost the whole day others did what we did put them in for some time. Our biggest issue was that our DD bedtime was 8pm so we had to be flexible. On one day we just had to give her nap. We wanted to do so much but had make sure to pace it for little one too.

In room babysitting is an option to put little one to bed earlier but it's costly.

One disappointment for us was that there were some things that we wanted to see that we couldn't as they just started to late. Quest was one of them starting 11:30pm. We just could not leave are little on up till 1am

To be Con't

One option that you might consider on future RCI cruises (that have them) is a Promenade Room. We have done this three times (Navigator, Explorer, Independence) when balconies cost too much or the weather too cold to enjoy them.

I am claustrophobic and can't do a windowless room. A PR room gives you a window and when we had one on the 7th/8th floor, we couldn't really hear much noise from below.

The are also centrally located, so it cuts down on the walking (both forward/aft and up/down).

The best part- they are usually only a little bit more pp than an inside. I think the most we paid to upgrade was $20/day.

Cheers,

Ship Size, Layout crowds

Yup it's a big SHIP. If you have mobility issues you might not like it.

So big ship, the good layout and this plays into room selection. So let's talk :D

Deck 5 Royal promenade open area located in center of the ship At either end you will find two banks of Elevators

Deck 8 Is the famous Central park located directly above the Royal Promenade

Deck 6 is The boardwalk it' Aft Starting at AquaTheater to bank of elevator at start of Royal Promenade.

What's in the aft(Back) of the ship:

Aquatheather, Sabor, Johnny Rockets, customer service, Focus(Pictures), MDR. WindJammer, Sports Zone, H2O, Mini Golf, Flow Rider

What's forward: Adventure Ocean (Kids Club), Opal Theater, Comedy theater, Vitality Spa, Dazzles and Solarium

Everything else is roughly center (Forgive me I'm sure I forgot some)

So what it's looking like Heavy towards Aft. Especially to eat! So we had a forward room. Kept going back and forth along the ship.

Room to Restaurant and then if we want back to the room to change or drop off DD at Kids club back to Forward. So kept going Forward/aft, aft/Forward. For what we were using we would prefer to be Center or Aft rather than forward.

Walking back and forward along the room hallways sucks. It's a bit narrow, cabin attends usually working and don't know why but it felt longer. We like best to walk across the park, it was least crowed. Royal promenade you always get stuck around the main shop in the middle. They have frequent sales and that attracts crowds and if you're in a hurry you get stuck there. I would also cross the ship topside Deck 15 or 16, but park was the best.

Did I mention crowds oh no 6000 people on board, it's crowed?:confused:

Ok, so I read many many threads and opinions on this and they seem to fall into into one of 3 opinions:

1. I hate large ships, will never same sail them, HATE OASIS class

2. Never felt like there are 6000 guess, no crowds

3. Too crowed don't like, won't do oasis class again.

So how did reality play out for us. Mostly 2, but yes let's be realistic there were some crowds.

Most times you really don't feel there are that many people, like I said above would usually cross the ship in the park because it always felt empty. BUT there are times people are about and certain areas sure have crowds like when the sales go on in they royal promenade.

So here is your warning and when you get on don't freak out!! Right before Muster drill, everything closes and everyone is not in there room they are on their way to muster station so yes for about 30-60 minutes, it is and feels crowed. The only time central park was full. That is only because everything is closed and everyone is on the move. Please, please don't think that is what the cruise will be like. Venues open and the 6000 people spread out and you won't feel that way again. To me even on Sea days I we found lounge chair, and a good one in Solarium.

I LOVE to hear that your little one had so much fun.....Our 2 will be 5 and 3 years old at the time, we are going on a much smaller ship but so far everything we have heard about the staff at Adventure Ocean is very promising that they will have so much fun!

DOH! That means 2 car seats and 1 booster seat for 3 of 4 kids. The oldest just missed it.

Now i'm really wondering.....Thanks for all the info, folks! I'm going to think about this one a little more.

Sorry have had a busy week, did not have time finish review

Food---

One the best bit of advice I got on this board was try as many places. Did not do them all but did our best.

So review is coming from Foddies, that are not picky, not snobby(will eat a burger) and a also reviewing child options and food

MDR - So we only had two dinners here and I will say it's an area for improvement. My Wife real did not like her diners, they were seafood based, mine were ok. She got a large shrimp entree that was more like a 4 regular shrimps and a side. What we got at chops for an Appetizer was a Giant Scrimp that was amazing. MDR has a nice atmosphere and Good service, but falls short of the service and Food quality of the Special Restaurants. The famed banana creme brulee I've heard so much about was always served warm and runny/ To be honest it's mass produced and feels like it. It's not bad, just think there are other better option on board. For kids was not happy with Mac N Cheese. Looked and tasted like Kraft dinner and you could see a process cheese slice on top. Our little girl did not like the food and ask to go windjammer.

Windjammer - Honestly gets a lot of poor marks in other reviews, for us Honestly found the food quality better than the MDR. Example is that Mac N Cheese, was made from scratch our Daughter liked it way more.

They ribs on some night, rice with crab. We had dinner there on two nights and some lunches. After a long first day and a long day in St. Thomas was nice to go in shorts and have a nice meal. DW and Daughter wanted to here instead of MDR for second formal night because the like the food so much more there. If you're looking to skip on the Speciality restaurants and not liking the food in MDR, you will be surprised by quality and options in Windjammer.

Sabor - Big surprise of the cruise. Great food, well priced and great staff. Had an amazing waiter helped us how to order and his choices were bang on. Our little one wanted a lemonade like she got in MDR or Windjamer but they didn't have it. Amazing waiter made her a lemonade from Margarite mix and limes (no alcohol of course) She loved it, so did I :D. Best dessert on ship we got there. With the combo meal you get a tray of deserts about 5 different ones, soooo good. I thing it's a must for lunch or dinner. No special child menu, but little on had one my quesedilla's she loved it.

Chops - We loved it. Very good Filet. What stood out for us was the truffle corn. Ya I know corn, but one bite and I told my wife you have to try this, it's the best corn I ever had. Again great service, amazing wait staff we got very friendly with. My wife was so stuffed did not know if she wanted a dessert, he brought out a small peice of cake for her to try. So attentive and friendly, loved it. Ok childs menu. We got her a grilled halibut, we are lucky have a 3 year old that likes fish. Honestly portion was HUGE for her, it was a full adult size. She only ate 1 piece of fish we had the rest it was that good.

Giovanni's - Least favorite of the Speciality restaurants. Food was good, but not great like the others. Service was also so so. Waiter seems a bit flustered and busy. Will echo what others said, the mushroom risotto is amazing and a mush try. Chile menu was good, but portion size was crazy! I could not have finished my 3 year old meal. For an Appy she was getting pizza bite, ended up being a whole pizza that could would have been to much as a full meal for child. Then she good pasta in a very good alfredo sauce, again big portion by adult standards. When manager asked my how the dinner was I told him it was wonderful, but they need to adjust their portion sizes for kids. We felt so bad to put so much food in the garbage.

Park Cafe -THE SECRET IS OUT!!! Not so busy for Breakfast, but for lunch it's busy! Winjammer was showing green for lunch, but Park Cafe was red. Bit of work to find seats. There is a reason it's busy. It's perfect lunch spot. Great made to order salads and good panni's and famous beef sandwich.

Wipeout Cafe - Burgers and Hot dogs basic nothing special for lunch

Solarium Bistro - Ok for lunch but liked the options better at Windjamer

Breakfast - I will echo other post, that Oasis does it poorly.

MDR had eggs benny that are just ok. Our little one loves quiche and would not eat it in MDR and I tried it and understood. It was runny and not very good. WJ has a ok mix, you can get fried eggs, omlettes and famous powder scrambled eggs. Park Cafe has breakfast sandwich. Wipeout also has omlettes. We liked Johnny Rockets it was never busy and also had omlettes. So they used powered eggs in all scrambled and they used them to for omlettes. So here is your tip. One these places wont' say which but that is how you keep a secret. But if you as nice they will make you a omlette with real eggs. They did it for my DW and then ask for us too.

Sorento's pizza was nothing special kids like it.

One last thing TRY the chicken Roti in Promenade cafe it was amazing.

Nice balanced review on eating - one comment regarding Giovanni's and kid's meal. Yes, it is a good size, but my 11-year-old grandson ate the whole thing! Remember the kitchen doesn't know it's for a 3-year-old! If you are concerned about wasting food (which I agree with) mention it to your waiter that you would like a "small child's meal." I've seen lots of parents eat up the leftovers from their kids!