Considering Ms Prinsendam and Ms. Ryndam, new to Holland, please help!

gam888

We are considering an European cruise in May with either Ms. Prinsendam, 19 days, or with Ms. Ryndam, 14 days. We have sailed with Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Cunard, Carnival and Disney before, but have not tried Holland America yet. We like to do a little bit of dancing after dinner, (very basic ballroom and also dancing to top 40's music). I am a bit concern about the size of Ms. Prinsendam, being the smallest and with limited amenities. I looked at her deck plan and could only see a dance floor on the lower promenade deck 7. Is that the only dance venue she has? Usually any ship has at least two dance venues but since she only holds 850 guests, I am not sure if that is the only dance venue onboard? If that is the case, what kind of music does the house band play? Is there a DJ playing taped music in between? What are the activities during sea day? Same questions I have regarding Ms. Ryndam, she is a bigger ship than Prinsendam, but how many dance venues are on the ship? Is the program "Dancing with the stars" held in both of these ships?

I am picking these two ships based on their itineraries, but I would like to balance the ship experience with the port experience as well. We are in our late 50's and still young at heart, so we would like to pick a ship that offers good after dinner activities after watching the performances. By the way, what is the entertainment like, and what is the food like? Any dancing lessons on board? Any info are welcome. Thank you in advance.

We have cruised several times on Holland America, a great experience,on Ryandam,Eurodam twice, and then on Veendam and recently on Prinsendam, Prinsendam is delightful...older certainly, but a perfectly set out ship, not too large,and the atmosphere the best. Depending on your itinerary, we were Norway to the Arctic regions, so other passengers adventurous and keen to see everything,not just there for the food and drinks...Dancing I think yes, as formal or as relaxed as you like, and that is the way of all cruises really..

Holland America is traditional, and has Crows Nest for viewing in all weathers, a very great asset on ships ,and not on them,all by any means. Comparing to Princess, a very good experience too,in different ways, as was Azamara. It really is different strokes for different folks, but it is all wonderful...Whoever you choose to travel with.

Our last two HAL cruises with on Ryndam and Prinsendam, both 14 days. We had a better experience on Ryndam which was roughly half the price of Prinsendam. The Ryndam was in better condition, food and service were about the same on both. We thought Ryndam was a good value but thought Prinsendam was over priced.

Edited by sammiedawg

There are usually people dancing in the Ocean Bar on Prinsendam. I am quite sure there is some sort of dance contest that culminates in a final competetion. The Crow's Nest is mostly for listening, but I have seen people dance up there.

I would choose your cruise based on itinerary. I've never sailed Ryndam. Isn't she the ship that will be sold?

As far as Prinsendam being overpriced, it is more expensive, because it is small. She has the highest repeater rate, which I've heard from officers onboard on each of our 4 cruises with her. Some people are unhappy sailing on an old ship, so be advised!! We sail her exclusively on HAL, as others do as well.

On a port intensive cruise, you may not be dancing late into the night....

Hi Gam,

I think that you and DH have reached the age where you will appreciate the more relaxed, yet active, environment of The Prinsendam.

My Lady Wife and I think that she was the nicest ship we have been on.

However, there has been some fairly recent concern voiced over how well she is being maintained, and I suggest that you do some research.

Ira

Hi Gam,

I think that you and DH have reached the age where you will appreciate the more relaxed, yet active, environment of The Prinsendam.

My Lady Wife and I think that she was the nicest ship we have been on.

However, there has been some fairly recent concern voiced over how well she is being maintained, and I suggest that you do some research.

Ira

In defense of how well she is maintained, she is no different than the rest of the HAL fleet. I've read complaints about almost every HAL ship. Sometimes there will be issues. Prinsendam is maintained probably even better, because she is HAL's money maker. I think she compares favorably with the luxury ship we sailed on.

I've sailed each ship more than once, and would be happy on either one again. I'm disappointed that I can't squeeze in another cruise on the Ryndam before she leaves the fleet. :(

The Prinsendam does feel a lot smaller than the Ryndam---which is not terribly large by today's standards! Both have the Ocean Bar for dancing at night. There is a dance floor in the Crow's Nest on the Prinsendam, and you may be able to get the piano player to play some requests so you can dance there; you won't find a band up there, though. There is also a dance floor in the Crow's Nest on the Ryndam, but it is more likely going to be recorded music for disco dancing.

I have found a higher level of service, with better quality food, better presentation on the Prinsendam, but the Ryndam was not lacking. On the Prinsendam I found the crew knew my name, and what I wanted, by the end of the first full day, and went out of their way to be sure I had it promptly.

Choose by itinerary. Or, try the Ryndam now, while you can, and sail the Prinsendam another time.

Edited by RuthC

Thank you everyone for replying my post. It seems like people like both of these ships. We are willing to try different things, and having said that, we are more accustomed to the large to mega ships, so just worry that we would find Prinsendam too small. Indeed, she has a 14 day European itinerary, and it's only around $100 less than the 19 days European itinerary Ryndam offers for the same cabin type. So I suppose that means Prinsendam is also more expensive compared to Ryndam. One of the ports Ryndam visits is Harwich, in the middle of the cruise. (it's really a back to back cruise they put together). I researched this port and have found very few interesting to do. So if we end up not getting off the ship, we might end up having 4 sea days in a row. (there are 2 sea days before Harwich, and one after that). I am concern that would be a bit boring to spend 4 days on the ship. (DH and I like to go on shore and explore, we are not much of the lounge around the pool type). Can anyone please share with us what they did in Harwich? Thanks!

Thank you everyone for replying my post. It seems like people like both of these ships. We are willing to try different things, and having said that, we are more accustomed to the large to mega ships, so just worry that we would find Prinsendam too small. Indeed, she has a 14 day European itinerary, and it's only around $100 less than the 19 days European itinerary Ryndam offers for the same cabin type. So I suppose that means Prinsendam is also more expensive compared to Ryndam. One of the ports Ryndam visits is Harwich, in the middle of the cruise. (it's really a back to back cruise they put together). I researched this port and have found very few interesting to do. So if we end up not getting off the ship, we might end up having 4 sea days in a row. (there are 2 sea days before Harwich, and one after that). I am concern that would be a bit boring to spend 4 days on the ship. (DH and I like to go on shore and explore, we are not much of the lounge around the pool type). Can anyone please share with us what they did in Harwich? Thanks!

You should probably ask that on the section about ports. You can put in a search. People who have sailed other cruiselines will be able to answer your question.

IMHO, I believe you made the right decision. I don't think you would have been happy on a small ship. There is a huge difference between sailing large and small ships with the types of activities offered. Those of us who prefer Prinsendam like small ships and don't mind that she doesn't offer many extras.