Train from Brussells to Amsterdam 8:00 - 9:00am

The high speed Thalys service (reservation only) leaves from Midi only. The slower and cheaper Intercity service leaves from Midi and calls at Centraal on the way through Brussels.

We are not familiar with the train schedule there. Could you tell me if we are near Brussells Cenrrall station where is Midi? Or are we able to take train on Thalys from Brussells Centraal?

Midi station is about 25 minutes walk from the Grand Place, Centraal is about 5 minutes walk. You could take one of many trains from Centraal to Midi or the underground (tram) from Bourse station. Probably 5-10 minutes.

The Thalys can only be boarded at Midi in Brussels. One of the reasons it is a fast train is that it doesn't stop very often :)

It would be better to start a separate thread as your question has nothing to do with trains in Belgium, of course :)

But to answer your questions, your hotel is about 40 minutes walk from Buckingham Palace. You will be right next to Gloucester Road tube, which is very convenient for the Palace by either the District Line to Victoria or Piccadilly to Green Park (nicer approach to the Palce through the Park). I'd allow about 20 minutes door-to-door.

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

It would be better to start a separate thread as your question has nothing to do with trains in Belgium, of course :)

But to answer your questions, your hotel is about 40 minutes walk from Buckingham Palace. You will be right next to Gloucester Road tube, which is very convenient for the Palace by either the District Line to Victoria or Piccadilly to Green Park (nicer approach to the Palce through the Park). I'd allow about 20 minutes door-to-door.

Thank you for your response. I realized after I posted on this thread that I was in the wrong place.

Sandra

The high speed Thalys service (reservation only) leaves from Midi only. The slower and cheaper Intercity service leaves from Midi and calls at Centraal on the way through Brussels.

Yes we want to take the Thalys train to Amsterdam and I am thinking we will just take a taxi to Midi Station, we will be at Brussels Marriott at Grand Place. Went online and I guess it is too early to book for August? Since we will have luggage, 2 large and one small carry on we should get 1st class to have more room for the 2 large pieces. Is there good signage for Thalys train? I guess I am trying to have everything figured out before we get there, it says on internet you have 3 minutes to get onto the train.

You'll be fine, but get to Midi (also known as Zuid or South) in good time - it's a pretty big and busy station. The platform for your train will be shown on the indicator boards well in advance and if I remember correctly there will be signs on the platform showing where you carriage will be. 3 minutes from door open to close is actually a pretty long stop by European standards :)

• 1 month later...
You'll be fine, but get to Midi (also known as Zuid or South) in good time - it's a pretty big and busy station. The platform for your train will be shown on the indicator boards well in advance and if I remember correctly there will be signs on the platform showing where you carriage will be. 3 minutes from door open to close is actually a pretty long stop by European standards :)

Should we go a day ahead and check out Midi station? Don't want to miss the train! Will there be information kiosks to help us find our platform? Thank you in advance, Mary

I wouldn't bother going in advance, but I'm very familiar with travelling by train :) Maybe you could pop up to the main station if you were passing through on the metro and had a few minutes to spare. It's a pretty dispiriting place!

Midi is a bit of a rabbit warren, until you get on the main concourse, but there are pretty good signs directing you and good departure boards. I'm sure there will be an information kiosk, but I doubt you'll need it.

I wouldn't bother going in advance, but I'm very familiar with travelling by train :) Maybe you could pop up to the main station if you were passing through on the metro and had a few minutes to spare. It's a pretty dispiriting place!

Midi is a bit of a rabbit warren, until you get on the main concourse, but there are pretty good signs directing you and good departure boards. I'm sure there will be an information kiosk, but I doubt you'll need it.

Thanks you for your supporting thoughts.What is a rabbit warren, not good?? I have read some threads and it makes me nervous. We have traveled on European trains before and did just fine. We got to the train station about an hour or more ahead of time and got on the train in plenty of time. There was a great kiosk for information, very helpful, that was in Paddington Station London.

Edited by 2ashevillesailors

Hopefully this sums up the rough options:

Intercity:

dep Brussel Centraal 0749

arr Amsterdam Centraal 1104

€42

Thalys:

dep Brussel Midi 0752

arr Amsterdam Centraal 0942

€80

(prices for a random date a couple of weeks form now)

You pay for the extra speed. Personally if I were starting near Centraal, and it avoided the extra taxi ride to get elsewhere to start, I'd just take the Intercity. let's assume 20 min + €20 for the taxi ride to Midi, you're looking at €100 v €42 to save an hour

• 2 weeks later...
We will be at Brussels Marriott by Grand Place. I think earlier someone said we could walk to Central Station in approximately 5 minutes?

I've walked it, although not straight (we were meandering and shopping for chocolate :D). Probably closer to 10-15 minutes, but on mostly quite pretty pedestrian streets. With lots of chocolate shops. I'm just saying bring an extra carry-on bag ;).

I've walked it, although not straight (we were meandering and shopping for chocolate :D). Probably closer to 10-15 minutes, but on mostly quite pretty pedestrian streets. With lots of chocolate shops. I'm just saying bring an extra carry-on bag ;).

Are there any particular chocolate shops to go to? I know there are lots of shops.