Freedom of Seas - Coco Cay

Garavar

We were on the Serenade in January and we did get to tender at Coco Cay, however, some of the crew we had befriended said we were the first ones to get to tender in the last 7 cruises.

We were pretty sure we were going to miss it so it was a fun treat to get to tender there.

I think it would make it better if they had an alternate plan for a stop elsewhere if you don't get to tender since it happens more than occasionally. But - I also understand how many months ahead of time the ports schedule those stops so I'm not sure how that would work. :rolleyes:

Enchantement missed CoCo two cruises in a row ( excluding the present one) and ended up in Nassau 1/2 day early ( was her next scheduled port).

Majesty missed CoCo today and showed up in Nassau ~~12;40pm...staying till tomorrow 5;00pm ( her ''regular'' scheduled stop).

CoCo Cay is one of those when you can go 4-5 times in a row....then miss 4-5 times in a row. I suggest the same challenge affects HAL ( Hal Moon Cay), Princess ( Princess Cays) and every other line having ''their'' Bahamian Island as a tender stop...The whole area is flat, the leeward side is bordered by shalow waters and the windward side is....wide open to the elements. Wind is a frequently negative influence there.

Just the geographical reality of it....

==X=='s Connie missed it once in December and they couldn't go to Nassau...so one day at sea was followed by a quick stop in Freeport ( just to stay on the right side of the law....!!!!).A client reported that to me,stating crews are so used to it they handle the stuff without the blink of an eye.

4 for 4 for us, never missed it thank goodness

one of our absolute faves. We like it better than Labadee cuz the snorkeling is stellar, photographed the only octopus I've ever seen at CoCo Cay:D

We are scheduled to go to coco Cay on the Quantum in March. We definately want a cabana- but cannot reserve on line. We enjoyed the cabana's in Labadee and want the same in coco cay. I know that they might be different, but we still want one for my DH, nephew, his wife and 4 year old daughter.

Who would I go to when we board to arrange a Cabana? We are in a suite so we are supposed to get priority.

Thanks

We are scheduled to go to coco Cay on the Quantum in March. We definately want a cabana- but cannot reserve on line. We enjoyed the cabana's in Labadee and want the same in coco cay. I know that they might be different, but we still want one for my DH, nephew, his wife and 4 year old daughter.

Who would I go to when we board to arrange a Cabana? We are in a suite so we are supposed to get priority.

Thanks

Concierge should contact you a week out. You can reserve it then. You can't reserve actual cabana though, they are assigned as you arrive at location. Get there early for one on the sea wall. I like #4

What happens if you are on 4 night Enchantment with sea day on Tues, Nassau on Wed and coco cay on Thursday and you can't tender?

It becomes a Sea Day, they drive back home in slow motion

Sent from my SGH-T699 using Forums mobile app

Concierge should contact you a week out. You can reserve it then. You can't reserve actual cabana though, they are assigned as you arrive at location. Get there early for one on the sea wall. I like #4

We had #4 on our last cruise. I liked that one a lot too! [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is that the same for the enchantment 3 day cruise where the ship is supposed to be in Coco Cay on Sunday? Meaning if the winds are too high Sunday becomes a sea day and they drive home slowly?

Yep, its terrible

Seems like winter months when winds are the worst are the months they miss Coco Cay.

I don't know anything about weather patterns but I would say January, February seem to be the worst, can't be certain though. Should wait for more experienced cruiser's reply.

Seems like winter months when winds are the worst are the months they miss Coco Cay.

I don't know anything about weather patterns but I would say January, February seem to be the worst, can't be certain though. Should wait for more experienced cruiser's reply.

DH and I had Coco Cay itinerary in February and we made it just fine. :)Cruise before that one we had Grand Cayman itinerary in November and couldn't tender on either side so missed it (which was the only port I really was interested in getting off the ship for). :rolleyes:

Is that the same for the enchantment 3 day cruise where the ship is supposed to be in Coco Cay on Sunday? Meaning if the winds are too high Sunday becomes a sea day and they drive home slowly?

Then Nassau is substituted; a stop in the Bahamas is mandatory.

if no dock space in Nassau, then you're ''treated'' to a nice visit in Freeport.....

Crusing since the 80's and I have never missed a tender port because of bad weather, though I will admit to missing a whole cruise because of it. It was a back to back and due to weather they ran the same cruise twice in a row.

From what I have seen recently you are just as likely to miss a docked port as Coco Cay with all the medivacs going on.

Thanks! On Labadee, they have a dedicated dining area for suite guests- what about coco kay?

Coco Cay has nothing specific for suite guests.

However, there is an upgraded lunch in the cabana area for cabana guests.

Edited by clarea

Labadee has nothing specific for suite guests.

However, there is an upgraded lunch in the cabana area for cabana guests.

Sorry, I did mean cabana guests. It was easier to get a cabana if you are a suite guest in Labadee and I "assume" coco kay. Can you select the cabana on coco kay prior to arriving at the island? If so, which are the best locations? Want to be near the facilities and on the beach. Any other helpful information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sorry, I did mean cabana guests. It was easier to get a cabana if you are a suite guest in Labadee and I "assume" coco kay. Can you select the cabana on coco kay prior to arriving at the island? If so, which are the best locations? Want to be near the facilities and on the beach. Any other helpful information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Note that I fixed my post above and changed Labadee to Coco Cay.

If you are in a Grand Suite or better, I'd contact the concierge about cabanas on Coco Cay. I'm not sure if they will allow you to select specific cabanas.

None of the cabanas on Coco Cay are near the beach. Some are near the water, but there are large, impassable rocks between those cabanas and the water. The cabanas nearest to the beach (sorry I don't recall the specific cabana numbers) are still a bit of a walk to the water.

Note that I fixed my post above and changed Labadee to Coco Cay.

If you are in a Grand Suite or better, I'd contact the concierge about cabanas on Coco Cay. I'm not sure if they will allow you to select specific cabanas.

None of the cabanas on Coco Cay are near the beach. Some are near the water, but there are large, impassable rocks between those cabanas and the water. The cabanas nearest to the beach (sorry I don't recall the specific cabana numbers) are still a bit of a walk to the water.

Thank you again! I was advised about one weeks before the cruise the Concierge is supposed to call me, perhaps then we can reserve a cabana.

We have missed cococay 3 out of 5 attempts. Scheduled to go on Sunday on Enchantment, but with 27mph winds predicted, I highly doubt we'll make it...so that will be our 4th time missing. We've missed in February, June and August. We have rental properties in Cape Canaveral (live in PA) so we prefer to sail out of Port Canaveral. It's pretty disappointing to miss it. They really should post their percentages somewhere about how often they make/miss it instead of their generic disclaimer about substituting/canceling ports.

Hopefully in the future when Cuba becomes fully open for US based ships it will give some better itinerary options for cruises shorter than 7 nights. My wife is a teacher so the shorter cruises over holiday weekends are our only options right now during the winter.

Enchantment cruise director said they've missed 3 of the last 4 attempts in the last two weeks. Hoping for a miracle sunday and we make it!