Construction of Luminae on Summit?

Smurfette76

Greetings!

With recent word that construction of the suite restaurant Luminae has commenced on the Equinox and will last for the next three sailings, I'm wondering if anyone knows when the other ships will begin construction. I ask because we are sailing on the Summit on March 21st, two weeks before the suite restaurant is due to open. We will most certainly enjoy our cruise no matter what, but it would be nice to be prepared for construction in the MDR.

Thanks in advance for any insight! Happy sailing everyone!

Greetings!

With recent word that construction of the suite restaurant Luminae has commenced on the Equinox and will last for the next three sailings, I'm wondering if anyone knows when the other ships will begin construction. I ask because we are sailing on the Summit on March 21st, two weeks before the suite restaurant is due to open. We will most certainly enjoy our cruise no matter what, but it would be nice to be prepared for construction in the MDR.

Thanks in advance for any insight! Happy sailing everyone!

Not sure what you can prepare for.....

I guess since they are removing tables and chairs from the MDR to build the new restaurant, the dining room will be more crowded.....likely they have found a way to fit (squeeze?) tables closer together so that should help...and perhaps waits at select dining will be longer....oh, and blu will remain crowded with longer waits as they seat suite passengers at any time.

But...nothing you can do about it....just smile and drink a little more.

...likely they have found a way to fit (squeeze?) tables closer together so that should help...

I'm not sure how you would consider squeezing tables closer together to be a "help".

Another thread said suite pax (at least some of them) are getting complimentary seating in specialty restaurants. If so, that would help the MDR from getting as crowded. But on the other hand those non-suite passengers who like to go to the specialty restaurants won't be happy about the extra crowds.

Nothing you can do. When you take a portion of the dinner seating out for construction, somewhere else is going to have to pay the price with crowding. All Celebrity can do is decide who they want to tick off.

The dining situation on the Summit can use all the help it can get. The food is very mediocre, service weak, and the seating is extremely tight. In our experience, once you're seated, don't even think about getting up for any reason.

Thanks everyone.

I won't let it worry me too much. It will be what it will be. We chose the Summit for the port intensive itinerary and because we got an good deal on a nice Sky Suite. This trip will be about land based adventures and tropical scenery. I love the ritual of getting ready for dinner at sea, and while I'm a foodie I will keep my expectations at bay given the uncertain circumstances. So long as we don't have to eat sawdust from the construction in the MDR we'll be A-OK! :D And if there isn't any construction it will be a pleasant bonus! Here's to hoping perhaps the suite dining restaurant will be open early! (Not holding my breath for that, though.)

Happy travels!

Thanks everyone.

I won't let it worry me too much. It will be what it will be. We chose the Summit for the port intensive itinerary and because we got an good deal on a nice Sky Suite. This trip will be about land based adventures and tropical scenery. I love the ritual of getting ready for dinner at sea, and while I'm a foodie I will keep my expectations at bay given the uncertain circumstances. So long as we don't have to eat sawdust from the construction in the MDR we'll be A-OK! :D And if there isn't any construction it will be a pleasant bonus! Here's to hoping perhaps the suite dining restaurant will be open early! (Not holding my breath for that, though.)

Happy travels!

Since you in suite you can eat in BLU as well...

• 1 month later...

Re: OP's question: we are sailing today, March 7 on Summit and received a letter in our cabin saying that the construction was going on and they are extending the hours of select dining "in order to reduce delays". Talking to the hostess, she would not say how much reduced seating there was but basically said we should not plan on dining between 6:30 and 9:00. She had a map of tables on her podium with a bunch crossed off, from which I would estimate that 30-40% of tables that are usually used for select will not be used on this cruise. It seems like regular seatings and Blu shouldn't be affected.

Re: OP's question: we are sailing today, March 7 on Summit and received a letter in our cabin saying that the construction was going on and they are extending the hours of select dining "in order to reduce delays". Talking to the hostess, she would not say how much reduced seating there was but basically said we should not plan on dining between 6:30 and 9:00. She had a map of tables on her podium with a bunch crossed off, from which I would estimate that 30-40% of tables that are usually used for select will not be used on this cruise. It seems like regular seatings and Blu shouldn't be affected.

Thank you for the live update! It is appreciated. We will keep our expectations at a reasonable level and will hope for the best. It seems that the construction hasn't been a huge hinderance to the MDR on other ships so hopefully the same will hold true for the Summit. Being told to not plan on dining between 6:30 and 9:00 would be annoying that's for sure. I hope that was just a suggestion and that things work out positively for you. We have proactively made Select reservations for our preferred times on formal nights in the hopes that will help.

Best wishes to you for a wonderful cruise!

Edited by Smurfette76

Since the construction is on the lower level used for set time dining it's hard for me to imagine it affecting select dining, unless they have shifted fixed diners to the balcony.

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU

We were on Equinox during the construction of Luminae and there were no problems whatsoever with dirt, sawdust or anything like that. Celebrity tried to alleviate crowding by providing the top suites with free dining in the specialty restaurants. While some tables appeared to be closer together, we didn't see it as a problem.

We are on the Summit Mar 14 in a sky suite and found out this weekend we are being given unlimited speciality dining:) all of our reservations are now made! Construction is supposed to start during this weeks sailing (3/7) and I have heard they have been lasting around 3 weeks. I would call the captains club and see if they have heard anything about your sailing the week before.

We are on the Summit Mar 14 in a sky suite and found out this weekend we are being given unlimited speciality dining:) all of our reservations are now made! Construction is supposed to start during this weeks sailing (3/7) and I have heard they have been lasting around 3 weeks. I would call the captains club and see if they have heard anything about your sailing the week before.

We are on the same sailing in a Sky Suite. Haven't heard anything yet about that.

i am going on my first celebrity cruse on the summit in may. I'm reading these boards about restaurants for this class and that , we are in an ocean view cabin does that mean icant eat in certain restaurants ? i don't mind paying for a specialty restaurants if its great . Am i going to feel like I'm in second class?

We are on the same sailing in a Sky Suite. Haven't heard anything yet about that.

Call!! When we called they said o you haven't heard yet? If not there should be a note in your room... But this way our reservations are already made.

i am going on my first celebrity cruse on the summit in may. I'm reading these boards about restaurants for this class and that , we are in an ocean view cabin does that mean icant eat in certain restaurants ? i don't mind paying for a specialty restaurants if its great . Am i going to feel like I'm in second class?

You will have access to the main dining room which I personally still find to be amazing! Everyone will have their own opinions on food and quality but I have no problem eating in mdr all week. There are the two specialty restaurants on the summit (plus bistro on 5). It is personal preference if you would rather eat there. We normally eat one or two meals in a specialty restaurant. There are sample menus online so you can look to see if they are something you are interested in and plenty of reviews here on cc on quality and service!!!

Call!! When we called they said o you haven't heard yet? If not there should be a note in your room... But this way our reservations are already made.

Thanks. I did speak with Captain's Club rep this morning and (for what it is worth) they were not aware of this arrangement. They did say if there was anything being offered like this on a ship-by-ship basis, we'd get a letter in our cabin.

We already have two dinners booked at Normandy. One because of normal suite amenities and one through my travel agent. I think that will be plenty for the week since the entrees in Normandy can be on the heavy side. We've already eaten in QSine on a prior Summit cruise and thought it was a nice novelty but not a "must do". I have loved the MDR on all past cruises and expect the same this time.

We will be on the Summit beginning April 11, 2015. I was wondering how the week went concerning the dining room? Hopefully, they will have the suite dining room finished and all the kinks worked out by our sailing. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

We will be on the Summit beginning April 11, 2015. I was wondering how the week went concerning the dining room? Hopefully, they will have the suite dining room finished and all the kinks worked out by our sailing. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I am also on the April 11th cruise. Hope it is up and running and new menus are in place.

Summit's "Go Live" date is April 4.

Talking to the hostess, she would not say how much reduced seating there was but basically said we should not plan on dining between 6:30 and 9:00. She had a map of tables on her podium with a bunch crossed off, from which I would estimate that 30-40% of tables that are usually used for select will not be used on this cruise. It seems like regular seatings and Blu shouldn't be affected.

Looking at deck plans, basically the Lunminae space has taken 13 6-tops (78 seats) and 1 10-top out of service or construction, total of 88 seats removed on Summit. It appears that once complete, about 50 seats will be in the space once it opens for a total net loss of about 25 seats.

So the plan showing tables crossed off in select would seem to be just simply booked/reserved tables, since Luminae is being built in the Fixed seating portion of the MDR, not the upper Select dining portion.

Since the construction is on the lower level used for set time dining it's hard for me to imagine it affecting select dining, unless they have shifted fixed diners to the balcony.

My guess is they change the capacity controls for MDR and Select dining for the construction period, removing some slots for fixed and adding slots to Select, thus adding load to Select dining. We know they stopped taking specialty restaurant reservations for the construction periods a month or so ago, if not farther out.

My apologies upfront for taking the thread slightly off-topic... but I didn't really see your questions/concerns being addressed.

My first Celebrity cruise was on the Century. Next two Celebrity cruises were on the Millennium. Then a cruise on the Reflection and now two more cruises (one taken, one booked) on the Constellation. I have stayed in stateroom categories from inside cabins to low-end suites. Never did I feel like I was "second rate" and neither will you. Go on your first cruise without any expectations and enjoy the experience for what you find (not what people tell you it should or should not be).

Lots of offerings for dining. Your assigned dining room will be the MDR (main dining room). If you want to eat in a specialty restaurant, those are options as well (for a cover charge). The Oceanview Cafe offers a variety of cuisine options and flexible times for dining with a minimum of restrictions regarding the dress code. You will find burgers/hotdogs/french fries at the mast grill from late morning through early evening. Also, the Aqua Spa Cafe have a mix of free and "pay" offerings to consider.

Just go, have fun, and enjoy yourself. Then you can decide if cruising is fun and makes sense for you to consider on a future vacation. If the answer is yes, stop by the Future Cruise Sales area to meet a representative and have them explain to you the benefits of booking while on board the ship.

Enjoy your cruise!! :)