First Time in St Thomas - What to Do and See?

St Thomas is the prototypical Caribbean port.... when you see the port, it looks like the Caribbean ports you picture in your mind. It is very pretty. What we have done there....other than the shopping :eek::rolleyes: We like to get off fairly early and head over to Coki beach for some snorkeling and swimming. Coki is a beach that has a great middle area for just playing in the water... then the two sides are some good snorkeling. It is also very gradual entering the water (so good for learning to snorkel) It is also home to coral world. There are vendors there and a restaurant etc. If you go early you can be there before the crowds get there. We usually stay for a coupleof hours then go back to the ship for lunch and to change and then have done an island tour... lots of history there with pirates etc. AThis last time we went on the ferry over to St Johns but I think on your first trip there... you are better off staying on St Thomas.

The champagne and catamaran snorkel excursion Carnival offers is the best excursion ever. The catamaran ride and the crew were wonderful. Snorkeling was like swimming in a giant aquarium. The sea life and water were amazing. Then on the ride back we went in under sail power without the engines running and out came the champagne and rum punch. The ride back to the ship on the open air bus was as much fun as the rest of the excursion. When I go back to St. Thomas I will be sure to do it again.

Here is the link http://www.carnival.com/Activities/Excursion/434013

What sort of things do you like to do? That's the starting place! Have you read up on St. Thomas? If not, get a guidebook and find out what there is...then you can decide what you want to do!

St. Johns beaches are freaking gorgeous....I don't usually recommend or do ship excursions, but to get there, it's the easiest way! If a beach day is what you want, St. Johns will give it to you in spades!!!!!

Just got back from St. Thomas 2 weeks ago. I would highly recommend a daysail with Kathleen and HighPockets. http://www.sailhighpockets.com/ She only takes 6 people max. Absolutely amazing. She asked us where we would like to go and we said "to see sea turtles". She did it. I got to swim within 2 feet of one. Lunch is included. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Look into Godfrey tours. We have used him 3 years in a row. Great day...will pick u up at the ship and bring u to shopping area...give u time to shop...reboard the bus....and onto beautiful stops with fantastic views.....banana dacari ......mountain top stop...botanical gardens with more rum punch...and a beach stop(you can stay on beach and he will pick u up later...or just stay 5-10 min)....back onboard....and back to ship. ..only $35- with free water/soda all day. Fantastic day...very reliable. .GREAT tour with beautiful sites and beach

How is lunch/food included in Godfrey's tour? We want to do his shopping, sightseeing, beaches tour which will be most of the day

No food included...we either get food after shopping, before getting back on the bus, or there is some food for sale at mountaintop, but not that much (snacks..hot dogs...)

The champagne and catamaran snorkel excursion Carnival offers is the best excursion ever. The catamaran ride and the crew were wonderful. Snorkeling was like swimming in a giant aquarium. The sea life and water were amazing. Then on the ride back we went in under sail power without the engines running and out came the champagne and rum punch. The ride back to the ship on the open air bus was as much fun as the rest of the excursion. When I go back to St. Thomas I will be sure to do it again.

Here is the link http://www.carnival.com/Activities/Excursion/434013

I'm interested in this excursion for our Glory cruise in October, but I do not see it offered. I'm hoping maybe they will just add the excursion later?? Our port time is 10-6, I was wondering if you had the same port times & if there was enough time to do some other things close to the ship?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sunny List on does the same tour and is tons of fun. YouTube his tours. When we were in his truck other tours were going by and so jealous! We were singing and dancing while others just drive the roads. He's a wonderful guy and comes highly rated.

Sent from my KFJWI using Forums mobile app

Just got back from St. Thomas 2 weeks ago. I would highly recommend a daysail with Kathleen and HighPockets. http://www.sailhighpockets.com/ She only takes 6 people max. Absolutely amazing. She asked us where we would like to go and we said "to see sea turtles". She did it. I got to swim within 2 feet of one. Lunch is included. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Could you give me an idea of her rates?

that's like comparing renting a mustang versus a lamborghini. some may be just as happy with the mustang especially since it was cheaper. Its just a matter of preference. private sail on a sailboat for the day including a fancy lunch, snorkeling, and swimming with turtles versus driving around in an open air truck seeing the island and visiting a beach.

• 2 months later...

That sounds awesome! I would love love to do this, but not sure if I can come up with 140 pp with 3 kids, me and hubby plus tip. Maybe one day we will get to act retired;( But appreciate we even can go to the islands;)

Edited by ladybug1s

• 1 month later...

I haven't been able to read all the postings, but if no one suggested this, and you have time, this is something I think would be intersting to see in St. Thomas.

The place is called Magic Ice. Everything (people, animals, candles, chairs with pads you can sit on) is all sculptured in ice. At the end of the tour is a long ice bar, and if you want, they will serve you a small drink of run and coke/sprite. When you first come in, they will give you wrappers to wrap around your legs, a wrap around coat, and gloves. Makes me think of how Eskimos dress. Since I am from Missouri, I really didn't need all that warmth, but it was great to see.