Questions about DIY Santorini...driver? Rent car? Itinerary?

lawgirl

Hello. We are in Santorini in Mid Sepember, 7 am to 5 pm . Five ships in port, totalling about 6000 pax. Our goal is to see scenic areas, visit 2 or 3 wineries and have lunch in Oia.

At first we were going to rent a car and we still may. But, we have some concerns about finding wineries and whether it will be crazy busy in Oia. Not sure times wineries open... And how long will it take to get back to Fira/cable car area .... How long lines are to get on cable car to get tender....

Any help on these questions or concerns would be appreciated! Any suggested itinerary if we drive ourselves?? Suggestions for wineries along drive around ouside of island? I believe we would head south out of Fira area, then up east coast to Oia, then south back to ship. What time do we leave Oia to make it back on ship by 4:00 or a bit after?

Finally, would we be better off hiring a driver and car....not a tour, just a driver who can take us places. Anyone done this and any driver recommendations?

Thank you! Sorry for so many questions!

My suggestion is to post on Trip Advisor to get the information you need about the island, time frame for using a car to visit wineries.

Also look at your cruise line tours. I know when we were in Santorini, those who had booked a ship tour to visit wineries were tendered first and went to another area to debark to catch their bus. They only had to use cable car to get back to ship by tender at the end of day.

The line for cable car by late afternoon was blocks long. It was amost 100 degress in mid Sept when we were there and we took the terrible option of walking down the donkey path to reach the tenders. Our ship was the first big ship in the caldera that morning, we got up to Fira by 9:00 am and by 10:30 Fira was very crowded so we kept walking up and found a great artist studio, bought wine glasses and had great views at every turn walking back down. Had lunch on a roof top cafe in Fira.

A young couple on our ship rented motor scooters in Fira and had a great day exploring Santorini on their own. Many options, but be aware this island will be crowded by afternoon in both Fira and Oia.

We were in Santorini last June and rented a car from Tonys, 35 euros plus 10 euros worth of gas. We got priority tender tickets and were up in Fira by 8, picked up the car and were in Oia by 9.30, which gave us about an hour before the crowds descended.

Parking wasn't a a problem at all, though later on it got crowded.

We then drove to Santo winery around noon where we did a wine and cheese tasting, they also have what if arguable the loveliest view of the caldera. Not to mention free wifi!

We had wanted to go down to the black sand beach but decided against it as it was pretty hot by then, so we turned in the car and had a leisurely lunch at Fira, got back to the ship around 4ish. Luckily we didn't stand in line too long for the cable car down, seeing my elderly mother someone asked us to go right up to the top of the queue, which was pretty decent of them. Once down at the dock DH stopped for a cold beer at one of the tavernas there, I later read that they have some great Greek snacks too.

Tony's

Rent A Car & Moto

Firostefani -Santorini-Greece

Tell 0030---2286022863 Fax 0030--2286024113

http://www.santorini.com/rentals/tonys

http://www.travel-to-santorini.com/h...ira/hotelthira

email thiragr@otenet.gr

owner: Dacoronias Antonis

We were in (well, on) Santorini in 2006 and are going again in late September this year. I can't believe it, but so far I cannot find any other ship there the same day we're there. In 2006, there was only one other cruise ship which arrived after we did. Because it was relatively quiet that day, we didn't have problems with lines for the cable car. I don't remember when we went back down after our day driving around, but it was likely not less than an hour or two before the last tender. Here's what we did, and plan to do:

2006:

Had something like an 8 - 5 day on Santorini. We took the cable car up. (I don't think the boat to Oia ran back then, and we wouldn't have been interested, anyway.) We had planned to rent a car. We ended up seeing an ATV (4 wheeler) and my husband really wanted to drive that thing. It lacked power and wasn't too comfortable for me in the back, but at least it was safe and we did manage to putter around the northern half of the island. We found it easy to navigate as there aren't that many roads. I think you need an int'l drivers' license to rent one of those, and KNOW you need one for a car. The rental place may not require it, but you'll be in trouble without it if stopped. Oia stole our hearts, but we also toodled around a bit, stopping for lunch, stopping to buy baklava at a place that sold 40 varieties, and we drove down to a beach (not the red or black sand beach, however, which are south). We spent a little time in Fira (or is it Thira? I get the names mixed up!) and then took the quad ATV back and rode the cable car down. There ARE buses to Oia if you aren't up for driving - although I'm guessing there won't be large numbers of people on the roads, even with 6000 pax calling on Santorini that day. There will probably be the boat, too, although it sounds a tiny bit iffy to me. I've seen recent posts that say a taxi to Oia one way is 20 euros and another that says 30. Anyway, I would try to get on the first tender (it takes a while), and probably go to Oia first (however you get there) as I suspect it will get more crowded the later it gets. It's around a half hour drive up there. I would also look at the ship's excursions to see when they go to Oia, Santo Winery, etc. and plan accordingly. Then again, most shore excursions go out in the morning, so perhaps Oia would be less crowded in the afternoon - but then you'd worry about getting back in time! There are some gorgeous churches in Fira (Thira?), so I wouldn't ignore Fira.

tomsportguides.com has a good port guide on Santorini.

This year we are thinking of just renting a small car from Tony's, or I may cave and let my husband get the quad again. If you rent one of those, though, go for at least 150 to 200 cc's, as Santorini does have some hills, and a bit of power is needed. The one we rented (not from Tony's) was an old beast with 100 cc's at best. By the way, I'm 64, so those quads are not just for young people - although after riding on it for a while, I was ready to get off and stretch my legs and rest my butt! We will likely go to Oia first, and then maybe down to the area near Akrotiri as I am a big lighthouse nut and there's a decent lighthouse on the tip of the island. I am also very interested in the town of Pyrgos, which looks scenic. According to viaMichelin.com (great for directions, by the way), to drive to Oia, Pyrgos and Akrotiri (ruins, not lighthouse) and back to Fira is 48 kilometers and an hour and a half with no stops. I haven't been to Santo Winery, but have seen great pictures taken from there. (My focus is photography, so I'm always looking for nice scenery.)

Here's info I've compiled: Bus web site: ktel-santorini.gr. Tix are 1,50 to 2,50€. There are scooter rentals near Folklore Museum (3€) on road to east of 25 Martou about 10-15min. walk from north part of Fira. Buses depart for Oia (25m) twice hourly, usually on top & bottom of hour, 1,60€. Taxi is about 20€. Bus to Akrotiri leaves about once/hour & takes 30min., 1,80€. Have to walk back up road minute or two after being dropped at bus stop.

Enjoy whatever you do! I know we will.

Edited by roothy123

Last year we took the pricey ship's excursion thinking "being first off" was so worth it. Imagine our surprise after visiting Oia and arriving at the Santos winery to see our friends just leaving. They had taken the tender/cable car then car rental from Tonys. And were 10 steps ahead of us - at their own pace - the entire way. Guess what we're doing this year??????

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Last year we took the pricey ship's excursion thinking "being first off" was so worth it. Imagine our surprise after visiting Oia and arriving at the Santos winery to see our friends just leaving. They had taken the tender/cable car then car rental from Tonys. And were 10 steps ahead of us - at their own pace - the entire way. Guess what we're doing this year??????

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Ha! That's funny! They wouldn't have good instructions on how to get to Tony's, would they? I know I'm going to get lost in that tangle of streets in Fira, and not beat anyone anywhere!

Did you get tendered to the ferry port a little south of the cable car and donkeys, and then put on a coach to climb up the winding road up the cliff to begin your excursion? That in itself may have added time to the whole process. At least if there's a short line for the cable car, it doesn't take long to get up top to Fira!

Ha! That's funny! They wouldn't have good instructions on how to get to Tony's, would they? I know I'm going to get lost in that tangle of streets in Fira, and not beat anyone anywhere!

It did take us a while to figure out where Tony's was, its not as close to the cable car station as he says. He does send a map when you book but its not really to scale and we had to ask. Maybe we went the long way round but it took us 10-15 minutes to get to his place, stopping to ask all along. But we were still ahead of the tours in Oia, there was one other ship in port that day apart from us. Oia is drop dead gorgeous, we spent 2-3 hours there, ideal, as it was like a zoo by the time we left a little before noon, also pretty hot, even June 2nd week.

It did take us a while to figure out where Tony's was, its not as close to the cable car station as he says. He does send a map when you book but its not really to scale and we had to ask. Maybe we went the long way round but it took us 10-15 minutes to get to his place, stopping to ask all along. But we were still ahead of the tours in Oia, there was one other ship in port that day apart from us. Oia is drop dead gorgeous, we spent 2-3 hours there, ideal, as it was like a zoo by the time we left a little before noon, also pretty hot, even June 2nd week.

Thanks, plus I saw your other post with instructions.

Actually, Tony's is not technically in Fira but Imerovigli so I'm not surprised it's 10-15 minutes away from the cable car. That's still fine, but I was searching for better directions as I get lost easily. In 2006 we made reservations for a car at a place that was closer, easily to find, and fairly reasonably-priced, but now I don't remember the name of the company.

Directions to Tony's would be great!

Also, we really want to do lunch in Oia, so I thought we would end our day there. We did this with a rental car last time and it worked well, but I can't recall how many ships were in port.

Questions:

(1) has anyone gone south to beaches/Santos first and then north to Oia?

(2) any recommendations for restaurant with a great view for lunch in Oia? Should we make reservations?

(3) any thoughts on traffic back to Tony's and what time we should leave Oia to get back on ship by 4:00 or a bit after, considering lines for cable car and tender.

Thank you all for the great advice!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Also, we really want to do lunch in Oia, so I thought we would end our day there. We did this with a rental car last time and it worked well, but I can't recall how many ships were in port.

Questions:

(1) has anyone gone south to beaches/Santos first and then north to Oia?

(2) any recommendations for restaurant with a great view for lunch in Oia? Should we make reservations?

(3) any thoughts on traffic back to Tony's and what time we should leave Oia to get back on ship by 4:00 or a bit after, considering lines for cable car and tender.

1. I went to the winery before i went to Oia. To answer your earlier question, you will have no trouble finding anything. There are few roads there.

2. For dinner reservations, i would check on the number of ships in port. If there are 2 or 3, you should be okay……5 or 6 would be an issue. I had dinner in Oia at 5ish, and there was no-one there. Earlier will be busier. But most people don't necessarily eat out ashore.

3. Traffic is not an issue. Cable car lines again will depend on number of ships in. Remember, the ships are not necessarily leaving at the same time. (ours was 1-10PM).

I think I know how to get to Tony's Car Rental (with help from prish and Google) but it's a bit hard to tell you, as I don't think all streets are signed well (or at all!) However, if you go to maps.google.com and ask for directions using "Santorini Cable Car 847 00" (minus quotes) and "Hotel Thira, Main Street, Fira, Greece 847 00" you should be able to bring up a map with blue dots showing where to walk. (Make sure you select the Walk icon instead of the car, and push the blue magnifying glass, plus "Details"). From the cable car it looks to be a left turn once outside the building, going past what looks like an alley, and then turning left on the first real street. I'm not sure what street this is, but it is NOT 25is Martiou, the main street (with, I believe, Hertz and a couple other rental places). You can usually right click on a part of the route and then click "What's here" to get a street view, which might be helpful. Anyway, on the street that runs west of Maritou, go past the Monastery that will be on your left and continue until you have to make a turn at a T-intersection. Turn right and follow that street downhill a short way until you see Hotel Thira on the left (assuming it's still there, and still called that - sometimes Google maps are not entirely up to date!). Tony's is there. If you're lucky, you can zoom in and right click to pull up a screen shot that shows Tony's sign. If you don't see Tony's and keep walking downhill you'll end up on 25 Martiou. It looks like there are cars parked over on the other side of the street in a lot there - Tony's perhaps?

If you end up early on getting to 25 Martiou instead of making the left turn close to the cable car station, you can just turn left on Martiou and walk up until you see the street with Tony's on your left and the dirt lot with cars on your right.

According to Google maps, it is a 7 to 9 minute walk either way you do it, although 10 might be more reasonable!

Don't forget you're supposed to get an international driver's license to drive a car in Greece. For an ATV, however, nothing's required, per Tony. I think Tony handles gas like most European places do - require you to bring the car back the way you found it, which is normally not full. That means you may have to gas up before leaving the Fira area, but I would not fill up the tank unless you really think you'll go all over the island. It's a fairly small island. I think we put 10 euros in the ATV we rented and that was all we needed, although perhaps 10 euros bought a lot more gas in 2006 than it does today!! Have fun!

Edited by roothy123