NCL Pearl vs. HAL Westerdam to Alaska with Children

nt13

We are a family of 4 (my husband and I are in our mid 30s-children are 4 and 8). I am booked on HAL Westerdam for an Alaskan cruise this summer and happy with that choice, but NCL has some specials right now that make the same cruise on the Pearl less expensive. Enough so that I might be able to get connecting rooms rather than all sharing one room on HAL. So now I am thinking about switching my booking to the Pearl. I read mixed reviews on both, so I am having a hard time deciding which is better.

My primary goal is seeing Alaska, but I would like my children to have fun on the ship and in the kids club (I see not as good reviews about the kids club on the Pearl) and with activities we can do together. Food quality is not important to us since our goal is to see Alaska. We would like to see some shows or such as a family, and have time for adults only drinks some nights, and no craziness but decent activities for the kids during the day when at sea. Any input as to which ship might be a better fit? Thank you in advance!

(Cross posted from Alaska forum)

Disclaimer: I really hate NCL

That said, my daughter and I took a cruise to Alaska this summer on the Statendam and she loved it. She and her brother also loved the HAL cruise we took in the Caribbean.

Cabins are larger than on some other ships, there was plenty to do, and food was decent.

I think you need to widen your horizons. I see you want to do a round trip, but have you considered going from Vancouver rather than Seattle? You could still fly into Seattle, if it is significantly cheaper, but taking Volendam or Noordam from Vancouver, you get better times in port, and both visit Skagway, rather than Sitka. Granted, I have never been to Sitka (or sailed NCL other than a one nighter), but I think children would enjoy Skagway more. EM