How to pop the question?

T-N-C

Hello all, We are set to go on a cruise this spring break on the Carnival Dream. My son is bringing his girlfriend and he wants to pop the question while we are on board. Does anyone know how we can get a hold of the cruise director ahead of time or how we can go about doing this a unique way.

Hello all, We are set to go on a cruise this spring break on the Carnival Dream. My son is bringing his girlfriend and he wants to pop the question while we are on board. Does anyone know how we can get a hold of the cruise director ahead of time or how we can go about doing this a unique way.

John Heald's blog.

Awww, awesome! Contact John Heald via his FB page. He will help set it up or get you in contact with the CD. You may need to remind him a couple days before you sail though. You also might want to consider gifting them a romantic dinner with a bottle of champs in the Steakhouse that evening. :)

What week in March? We are on the 15th and would love to see this! Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Just a question, is his GFs parents going to be on the cruise also? If not, they may be hurt that his parents were included and not hers.

Does she like big gestures? If my DH had proposed to me in public I would NOT have liked it. I tend to cringe more when I see public proposals, IMO something like a proposal could be done with some bubbly and a sunset and have a romantic private proposal.

Thanks for all the tips so far. He was hoping to use the Jumbotron (I think), and yes it is for the 15th :D

Yay! Are you on our roll call here or on our FB group? It would nice to keep up with this for when and where it's happening! (You prob don't want to put it on FB for her to see though). :eek:

We were on the Breeze for New Years and the cruise director was picking women out of the audience for the show. He picked a young and old. Then asked who they were on the cruise with, when the younger women said her boyfriend he then asked her if they were staying in the same cabin? He then called her boyfriend up to better understand why they were living in sin and that is when he got down on 1 knee with the ring. It might sound a little strange but how the cruise director did it everyone was laughing the entire time. When she said yes the entire theater cheered!

I would also be very uncomfortable being proposed to in public. To me, this should be a private moment between two people. Not everyone likes this type of surprise. Maybe the proposal can be private and then have an announcement that your son and gf just got engaged. I agree with another poster that your son should be sure this will go over well. You don't mention the girls parents. They won't be there but you will.

I would never want such a private matter to be so public. I would be completely humiliated at the kind of attention strangers may give after the proposal. Are you sure that this gal is up for this kind of thing?

I say go for the gusto. Every girl wants a proposal they will never forget.... Most people nowadays want to have pictures of the special moment and it's not such a "private" thing anymore.

No - They don't. Not all of them.

Does she like big gestures? If my DH had proposed to me in public I would NOT have liked it. I tend to cringe more when I see public proposals, IMO something like a proposal could be done with some bubbly and a sunset and have a romantic private proposal.

I agree-- something more romantic..more private would make it more personal.

but I think giving a photographer a heads up a day before the cruise-- go pose for a picture then drop down on a knee with the box in hand-- all captured in pictures

Steakhouse....Have the waiter bring out a "special covered dish" with the ring under the cover? Like more adventure. Do it at the top of the water slide.....(Taking the plunge). Does carnival have a secret deck? Piano bar purposal? Lots of options. If he knows his girlfriend well enough to marry her (not judging on this, just saying), he should have a pretty good idea what she likes and go from there.

My intial idea was to purpose going up the top of the hill of Cedar Points (Ohio) tallest coaster, but was afraid I'd drop the ring. Opted for a romantic dinner instead. I'm sure she preferred the later, though the 1st would have been plenty cool.

I say go for the gusto. Every girl wants a proposal they will never forget.... Most people nowadays want to have pictures of the special moment and it's not such a "private" thing anymore.

Every girl does want a proposal she will never forget but that doesn't mean it has to be this HUGE event. Mine was unforgettable, the night before our last cruise, we had appetizers and margaritas and went for a walk on the beach and he did it with the sunset. It was perfect and maybe 2 people saw it? I'm just saying it depends on the girl. Don't go BIG thinking that's just what you do. Go BIG if she would like big and go small if she would like small.

I hope it goes well for your son! Freshly engaged is a great way to spend a cruise!

Every girl does want a proposal she will never forget but that doesn't mean it has to be this HUGE event. Mine was unforgettable, the night before our last cruise, we had appetizers and margaritas and went for a walk on the beach and he did it with the sunset. It was perfect and maybe 2 people saw it? I'm just saying it depends on the girl. Don't go BIG thinking that's just what you do. Go BIG if she would like big and go small if she would like small.

I hope it goes well for your son! Freshly engaged is a great way to spend a cruise!

I agree, your son should know what his girlfriend would like and he should propose how she would prefer. There are many good ideas on this post. If she wants small and romantic, I would probably do the photographer pose suggestion. If she like big, I say flash mob.

Like others have suggested, get in contact with John Heald...he will help you out (:

Personally I would LOVE to be proposed to in public on my cruise. AND it's happening (shhh I'm not supposed to know). I'm sure he wouldn't do such a public proposal if he was worried she might dislike that or say no...I mean, he is taking it public and I'm sure he thought about all of that first.

I wish I could be on your sailing to see it!

Like others have suggested, get in contact with John Heald...he will help you out (:

Personally I would LOVE to be proposed to in public on my cruise. AND it's happening (shhh I'm not supposed to know). I'm sure he wouldn't do such a public proposal if he was worried she might dislike that or say no...I mean, he is taking it public and I'm sure he thought about all of that first.

I wish I could be on your sailing to see it!

Congrats!

I proposed to my GF while parasailing in Grand Cayman a couple weeks ago on the Pride (lucky I didn't fumble the ring). It was a special moment at 600ft for just us. I gave the camera to one of the boat guys and they took a bunch of the pics for me.

She definately did NOT want a public thing, but she never saw this coming.

I have a thread with our story on here, but I wont hijack your thread with the link.

It takes courage to do this and I wish them all the happiness and cant wait to hear what is decided to be done :)