Popcorn gluten free at MUTS??

ldl05

The topic speaks for itself😄! I am going in my 1st Princess cruise this month, and was wondering if anyone knew if the popcorn served at MUTS was gluten free?? Thanks for the info!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The topic speaks for itself😄! I am going in my 1st Princess cruise this month, and was wondering if anyone knew if the popcorn served at MUTS was gluten free?? Thanks for the info!

All products made from corn are gluten free . Corn doesn't have any gluten unless mixed wheat in baking. They don't add anything to the popcorn except what is in the mix (salt ).

All products made from corn are gluten free . Corn doesn't have any gluten unless mixed wheat in baking. They don't add anything to the popcorn except what is in the mix (salt ).

http://www.thesavvyceliac.com/2010/10/18/movie-theater-popcorn-a-gluten-free-do-or-dont/

Worth reading this article ... depending on the oil and the seasoning used, it can have gluten in it.

" Let’s face it– popcorn is one of those simple (read: gluten-free) snacks that can easily be made complicated (read: gluten-filled) by an additive to the oil or seasoning." More info on the link.

And do you know if the salt mix is GF? Or if the popcorn is popped onboard or brought on prepopped? I am fully aware that corn products are GF, but being Celiac, I'd just like to know ahead of time... Thank you again for any helpful info!

Edited by ldl05

They actually bring a popcorn popper out . The kernels (that I have seen) come from a container . They don't add anything to the kernels .

If they add something like caramel it might not be gluten free.

You can always ask one of the chiefs (tall white hat) and they probably can get you an answer .

I've read that the fortified wheat grown now is different from the wheat grown in the past. No reason to assume it wouldn't affect some peoples' systems.

The misery and even harm resulting from eating gluten is not worth it to a Celiac.

Not speaking from my own experience, but that of some of my friends.

I am not celiac, but if I eat to much yeast , I get yeast infections.

I wonder if the ships could just put out a popcorn machine for the gluten free folks, that eliminates oils or anything else that would contain gluten. I mean really how much are the popcorn machines.

It might be worth a suggestion, all they can say is no.

No, I do not think there is a special popcorn for me on the ship. I was simply asking if anyone knew an answer to my question. If it can't be answered, I'll just bring my own.

Many people have gone gluten free because it has been put forward as cure or solution for health issues. Some well known TV Doctors push a gluten free diet to deal with health issues .

Five years ago there was very little in the store that was gluten free . Now there are gluten free muffins , cookies etc in the stores.

Those that need gluten free products in few years might find these products disappearing from the stores.

No, I do not think there is a special popcorn for me on the ship. I was simply asking if anyone knew an answer to my question. If it can't be answered, I'll just bring my own.

They legally can't pop your popcorn for you. It's a legal liability to deal with health issues from the popcorn. All product on the ship is supposed to supplied by the cruise line. That said people still bring their granola , protein bars etc on board.

If you get sick from your popcorn , who liable for the medical bill . I have seen fruit and vegetables confiscated on embarkation day and in ports .

They can't control the source of illness if everyone brings their own food on board.

If you do bring it on board , when the cruise ends you won't be able bring back ashore.

But do you have an answer to my question about popcorn? That was all I was inquiring about....not your opinion on gluten free.

I have food allergies. The staff on board (head waiter, chef, etc) have been great working with me when we cruise so that I do not get anything I might be allergic or intolerant to.

I know you will be able to find the answer from a reliable source once you board the ship. I see from the responses that the popcorn can vary ship to ship on how it is made and what is added to it.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise. On our last Princess cruise there was quite a bit of gluten free items. We met a woman on board who had celiac disease (mild form, so could tolerate some gluten). She said the hardest place to eat was at the buffet as the regular servers seemed to have a difference of opinion on what was gluten free and what was not. In the dining room, her meals were prepared specifically for her (like they did for me with my food allergies).

When you sit down to dinner the first night ask for your head waiter to discuss your dietary needs. My DD has reactions to gluten and to lactose so it makes for some special food needs to keep her from having to deal with the GI reactions.

The head waiter on our last Princess Cruise did a fantastic job of being everywhere we dined when we dined and made sure her dietary needs were met. Because there were several with special diet needs like hers, the chef made several special items for that population. Perhaps they will pop popcorn for you where it doesn't get gluten contamination.

Enjoy your cruise.

And do you know if the salt mix is GF? Or if the popcorn is popped onboard or brought on prepopped? I am fully aware that corn products are GF, but being Celiac, I'd just like to know ahead of time... Thank you again for any helpful info!

Helpful info would come from asking Princess special needs dept. All cruise lines are very conscientious when it comes to intolerance or allergies to food.

There's a place to put in your dietary restrictions on the Princess site after you book a cruise. If you put that you are gluten-free, you'll get an email confirmation. You can then respond to that email with your question about the popcorn. Corporate should be able to get you a response sooner than you being on board.