Deployment Schedule 2016-2017. Let the guessing begin

Cruzin-K

[quote name='kkorman']MIA/FLL: Liberty has been doing 4/5/5 seasonally with pricing that is not heavily discounted. So, the bigger freedom class is able to do it. Celebrity dropped their 4/5/5 on Connie, that opens up capacity for the others in the S. Fla. market.

PR: With Carnival putting the much older, smaller Fascination in PR for the weekly runs, why would Royal be going in the opposite direction and be putting a larger ship there... unless they get rid of the second sailing each weekend? NCL is back next year too, that is a lot of berths back on the weekly route.[/QUOTE]

According to the cruise call list of St. Maarten, Freedom nearly every Sunday calls at St. Maarten from April 2016 - that's only possible if the departure on Saturdays is from San Juan!
And when carnival sends an older ship to PR it does not mean automatically that RCI needs to do so too... [emoji5] Maybe for RCI, the SJU sailings are selling quite well...

Freedom Class did some short runs from Ft. Lauderdale, during WINTER SEASON, ok - but I highly doubt that they would do well with those cruises all year round... I think it would be a waste to deploy such modern ships on such a stupid itinerary, with Freedom Class you could do more really...
And I would not know which Freedom ship should take over those itineraries.
Freedom - to sail from SJU; Liberty - to sail from Galveston; Indy - to sail from either Ft. Lauderdale (7 nights) or Southampton...

And no, Vision is not going to do any short runs from Miami or PC - she is going to replace Splendour out of Venice in 2016... Edited by celebrity_fan

[quote name='John&LaLa']Here's a thought, is it economically feasible to service one ship in a market vs 2 or 3? Just curious, that could play into long term plans[/QUOTE]

I am not sure what you are inferring, so be more specific please.

There have been times when cruise lines deploy only one ship in a port.

If it was a good business decision to deploy 2 ships in Miami, I imagine they would bring another in and do some more elaborate itineraries.

But 1, 2, or 3 ships in Miami -- isn't the real issue -- in my opinion.

[quote name='celebrity_fan']According to the cruise call list of St. Maarten, Freedom nearly every Sunday calls at St. Maarten from April 2016 - that's only possible if the departure on Saturdays is from San Juan!
And when carnival sends an older ship to PR it does not mean automatically that RCI needs to do so too... [emoji5] Maybe for RCI, the SJU sailings are selling quite well...

Freedom Class did some short runs from Ft. Lauderdale, during WINTER SEASON, ok - but I highly doubt that they would do well with those cruises all year round... I think it would be a waste to deploy such modern ships on such a stupid itinerary, with Freedom Class you could do more really...
And I would not know which Freedom ship should take over those itineraries.
Freedom - to sail from SJU; Liberty - to sail from Galveston; Indy - to sail from either Ft. Lauderdale (7 nights) or Southampton...

And no, Vision is not going to do any short runs from Miami or PC - she is going to replace Splendour out of Venice in 2016...[/QUOTE]

Those 4/5/5 cruises did not work last summer on vision. They still require PTO time and all the snow birds are gone. They are also out of FLL which draws a completely different crowd than Miami. I was just making the point that Royal does not look at it as a waste of a ship on these routes. As far as Europe, would Royal have more berths and demand less $$ or fewer and demand more $$$. When then sent all those ships a few years back, pricing was ridiculously low. They pulled back and now pricing is up.

As we learned last year, nothing is set in stone, even after routes are released. No one predicted last year deployments.

[quote name='Paulette3028']I am not sure what you are inferring, so be more specific please.

There have been times when cruise lines deploy only one ship in a port.

If it was a good business decision to deploy 2 ships in Miami, I imagine they would bring another in and do some more elaborate itineraries.

But 1, 2, or 3 ships in Miami -- isn't the real issue -- in my opinion.[/quote]

I really wasn't inferring anything, I was honestly curious if there is economy of scale in having multiple ships in the same port. In other words, there is an investment in personell and infrastructure to service boarding passengers and loading supplies for every sailing. Miami currently has one small ship doing two sailings a week. Ft Lauderdale has 2 big ships doing 2 sailings a week with seasonal expansion. Port Canaveral has 1 big ship and 1 small ship doing 3 sailings a week with seasonal expansion as well.

Will the finance guys in Miami look at the costs to maintain infrastucture for only 5000 passengers a week when there are other choices available? I also question the need for a continued presence in Miami with Ft Lauderdale being so close.

I get it, you are from South FL and I am from Central FL. We both have a preference for our local departure port. And neither one of us is going to change the others mind. :o

[QUOTE=celebrity_fan;45809221

Freedom Class did some short runs from Ft. Lauderdale, during WINTER SEASON, ok - but I highly doubt that they would do well with those cruises all year round... I think it would be a waste to deploy such modern ships on such a stupid itinerary, with Freedom Class you could do more really...[/QUOTE]

Whenever they base a ship out of FLL for 4/5/5 during the summer, families pounce on them and the prices are outrageous. They aren't my favorite itineraries either, but I don't know why you dub these itineraries as "stupid". They obviously work well for them.

And the following is not directed at you Celebrity Fan it just happens to flow from that train of thought...

People's opinions are getting a little out of hand on what would/wouldn't make sense, what would/wouldn't maximize profits, and what various ships are/aren't suited for various routes with virtually no evidence and or support other than individual desires and biases.

I'm just ready to see the deployments instead of everybody's strong-willed "expert" opinions.

Two itinaries that I am interested in. The ABC islands that the explorer did this past winter and the St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Aruba, Curaco that the Adventure and Jewel (San Juan) are doing now. Does anyone know if either of these will be available in 2016

thanks

[quote name='DutchCruiseFan']But it has to much capacity there will be very much discounts as it is hard to get a ship full when sailing very short cruises:(

And as celebrity fan said those ships aren't designed for that kind of itineraries.[/QUOTE]

I think people here live in the past too much, Disney makes a killing doing 3/4 day runs on their brand new ships bigger than voyager and only about 25% of the pax take the cruise with the disney vacation together.

[quote name='Scoobydobe7']Two itinaries that I am interested in. The ABC islands that the explorer did this past winter and the St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Aruba, Curaco that the Adventure and Jewel (San Juan) are doing now. Does anyone know if either of these will be available in 2016

thanks[/QUOTE]

Not sure about the ABC island cruises, but the cruise from SJ should be offered again. Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

[quote name='SaintL']I think people here live in the past too much, Disney makes a killing doing 3/4 day runs on their brand new ships bigger than voyager and only about 25% of the pax take the cruise with the disney vacation together.[/QUOTE]

That could be because of the pricing. A lot of folks can't afford the 7 day versions. :o

[quote name='kruzerci']
People's opinions are getting a little out of hand on what would/wouldn't make sense, what would/wouldn't maximize profits, and what various ships are/aren't suited for various routes with virtually no evidence and or support other than individual desires and biases.
[/QUOTE]

Sorry this is a guessing thread!

[quote name='Ourusualbeach'][/color]

Long term I think that this is the direction that Royal is heading. Celebrity is already building new ships that fit nicely between Radiance and Voyager class that can accommodate the smaller more intimate port intensive cruises.[/quote]

Let's see, at the end of the day the Quantum Class was build on the basis of the Solstice Class, hence maybe RCCL will order a replacement for it's Vision / Radiance Class using as basis the Edge Class. Anyhow, even if RCCL will keep smaller ships in the fleet we will probably see maximum 5 compared to the Vision + Radiance Class combined we have now in the fleet.

[quote name='Paulette3028']Yes it is....just like the title says....and soon the guessing will end...some will be disappointed and others elated and many in between.[/QUOTE]

It's a shame everyone can't be happy though. :o

[quote name='John&LaLa']It's a shame everyone can't be happy though. :o[/QUOTE]

True. It's only a game.
We all try to get an exclusive of which ship is going where.
It's become a yearly ritual. It passes the time until our next cruise.
Like the rest of Cc, if you don't like it, don't read it.

One day, in the next few weeks, the snow will melt away, baseball will begin and oh yeah....cruise deployment schedules will be up!!!
For baseball fans out there, Spring Training has begun, and for Cruise fans out there, the annual deployment schedule guessing game has begun.
It's all good!

[quote name='John&LaLa']That could be because of the pricing. A lot of folks can't afford the 7 day versions. :o[/QUOTE]

True that! Their 3-4 days cost the same as Royals 7 days! But also, people who can afford them will sometimes spend 1/2 a week or a week in the parks and then 3-4 days on the ship to "decompress". Grand folks who want to take the kids specifically On a Disney cruise can probably more easily afford (and tolerate;)) a shorter cruise.

[quote name='Overtyme']One day, in the next few weeks, the snow will melt away, baseball will begin and oh yeah....cruise deployment schedules will be up!!!
For baseball fans out there, Spring Training has begun, and for Cruise fans out there, the annual deployment schedule guessing game has begun.
It's all good![/quote]

I have been wanting to say this on this thread because some days my head hurts from all the guessing and speculation going on here.:)

Now with your spring training/Baseball analogy... I am ready and sure we might see a 'curve ball' or two thrown by RCI when the deployments are announced :):D

I love all the guessing. It does help pass the time until the schedules are released. I want to book something in the Caribbean for fall 2017 and I'm really hoping for the Freedom out of San Juan. Pretty please! :D

[quote name='emmy']I have been wanting to say this on this thread because some days my head hurts from all the guessing and speculation going on here.:)

Now with your spring training/Baseball analogy... I am ready and sure we might see a 'curve ball' or two thrown by RCI when the deployments are announced :):D[/QUOTE]

I have declared an annual holiday to be 'the day pitchers and catchers report to Spring Training' -- so I love any baseball analogy....and surely a curveball or two will be thrown and people will be disappointed that they can't take the cruise they were so hoping to take....only to have to substitute another one.

Such a problem.

[quote name='Cruzin-K']I love all the guessing. It does help pass the time until the schedules are released. I want to book something in the Caribbean for fall 2017 and I'm really hoping for the Freedom out of San Juan. Pretty please! :D[/QUOTE]

Only if I get a ship leaving from Edinburgh to the Baltics and Norway instead of dull Harwich

Sent from my C6903 using Forums mobile app

[quote name='emmy']I have been wanting to say this on this thread because some days my head hurts from all the guessing and speculation going on here.:)

Now with your spring training/Baseball analogy... I am ready and sure we might see a 'curve ball' or two thrown by RCI when the deployments are announced :):D[/QUOTE]Curve ball is good description of a surprise or two that RCI has for us.

[quote name='Paulette3028']I have declared an annual holiday to be 'the day pitchers and catchers report to Spring Training' -- so I love any baseball analogy....and surely a curveball or two will be thrown and people will be disappointed that they can't take the cruise they were so hoping to take....only to have to substitute another one.
Such a problem.[/QUOTE]

A wild pitch could be worse. Or maybe a balk?
Rick

[quote name='Paulette3028']A love the wild pitch idea......that is much more unexpected than a curve ball, which often is the right pitch in the right situation.[/QUOTE]

At this point it feels like a knuckler!!!