Mendenhall Glacier Blue Bus tickets

lauren0309

Is it advisable to purchase your tickets online beforehand or can tickets easily be bought in Juneau. Is the bus ticket booth near where you get off the ship? I'm talking about a shuttle. I would rather not walk into town to get a regular bus if its a far walk.

Edited by lauren0309

Do these drop you off right at the park entrance? I think I read somewhere the bus drop off is like a mile away?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forums mobile app

The city bus drops you off about a mile from the Visitor Center. The shuttle companies drop you off nr the Mendenhall Visitor Center. (the city bus is about $4 RT as opposed to the shuttle at $20 RT)

Edited by mapleleaves
fare

How easy is it to get just the shuttle bus back from Mendenhall? We will be on a whale watching excursion and will be dropped off there at the end but will need to get back to the pier? Where would we get tickets to return or can we just pay the bus driver?

How easy is it to get just the shuttle bus back from Mendenhall? We will be on a whale watching excursion and will be dropped off there at the end but will need to get back to the pier? Where would we get tickets to return or can we just pay the bus driver?

I believe you just pay the driver. We actually purchased round trip from the white bus company. But we wished we had just paid for one-way. When we were ready to leave, the blue bus was there, but since we had already paid for the white bus, we waited a little while longer for the white bus to come back.

Someone else asked about where the ticket booths were: From what I remember the little booths along the dock where you purchase the shuttle tickets were really close to where we had lunch. We ate at Twisted Fish in the Taku building. it was delicious.

Edited by Cheryl H

We are doing the same thing. I contacted the shuttle bus company to make sure if we get dropped off there from our tour (tour does not give us enough time to explore) will we be able to get a shuttle back & do we need to purchase prior to going on our tour. They messaged me back yes we can get on the shuttle back and we just pay the bus driver at The Glacier

We are doing the same thing. I contacted the shuttle bus company to make sure if we get dropped off there from our tour (tour does not give us enough time to explore) will we be able to get a shuttle back & do we need to purchase prior to going on our tour. They messaged me back yes we can get on the shuttle back and we just pay the bus driver at The Glacier

Thanks for this information. Just what I was looking for regarding one-way transportation back to downtown from Mendenhall!

The city bus drops you off about a mile from the Visitor Center. The shuttle companies drop you off near the Mendenhall Visitor Center. (the city bus is about $4 RT as opposed to the shuttle at $20 RT)

So which city bus stop would that be? We were just checking the online Juneau bus schedule: http://www.juneau.org/capitaltransit/pdfs/busschedule5.pdf

Thanks for the info on another option.

• 4 weeks later...

I was speaking with my daughter about the "blue bus" and she said that when she was in Alaska a couple years ago, they bought R/T tickets on the "blue bus". Although it was supposed to run every 1/2 hour (so she was told), they waited almost 2 hours for a return trip back to the ship. She told me that another bus took pity on them (as the driver had seen them waiting and waiting) and took them back free.

Might be worth buying just one way tickets so all your options are open.

It greatly depends where your ship is docked, as all the shuttle buses pick up at the tram. There are no booths at the AJ dock.

You can pay the driver at Mendenhall, The City bus is a walk from the cruise ship docks, and takes at least an hour. this bus runs once per hour, so be certain to know the return times.

Plan on the shuttle buses running until 6pm. And if you are there later, be certain to have cab numbers with you and call them a half hour before you need them, there are no cab lines at Mendenhall.

You can have long waits at peak return times from Mendenhall, so don't just think, you'll get a certain timed bus. Allow extra time. There can be very long lines, and the buses only hold so many people. I have personally had to wait through three buses.