Another DCL Industry First replicated by another line

Ex techie

A statement from the line says that, when Anthem of the Seas launches in April, it will allow fans of the main dining room to dine at one of two set times (early or late) with the same group and waiters each night, albeit at a group of four main restaurants that will rotate throughout each sailing. This option can be pre-booked, beginning in early March.

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/news.cfm?ID=6174

I doubt DCL will ever offer Dynamic Dining, but RCI offering both does sound like a good fit for a lot of families.

ex techie

It's more in response to the general dislike of how they did it on the Quantum, but they can't take one DR out of service for traditional dining without messing up the other systems...

How does that matter if certain tables or a portion of the DR is apportioned to rotational dining with the same servers each night?

ex techie

Some of the DRs are smaller so will actually be out of service for dynamic dining one night (depending on demand). If they didn't rotate they would have to take one MDR offline for dynamic dining totally, limiting options. It's a little different there, each restaurant offers the same menu every night (with some minor changes), and you choose which one to go to.

How does that matter if certain tables or a portion of the DR is apportioned to rotational dining with the same servers each night?

ex techie

So if I am understanding, you CHOOSE your dining room which means that you are CHOOSING your menu (each dining room has a different menu)? So it is possible for one room to totally fill up and you be unable to be seated where you choose? That sounds like the Celebrity brunch--couldn't get in as it was "full."

Theoretically yes. But they have a robust onboard online res system, so generally speaking you can get in where you want and close to when you want.

There are also something like 30 dining choices (including casual and for fee)

So if I am understanding' date=' you CHOOSE your dining room which means that you are CHOOSING your menu (each dining room has a different menu)? So it is possible for one room to totally fill up and you be unable to be seated where you choose? That sounds like the Celebrity brunch--couldn't get in as it was "full."[/quote']

Some of the DRs are smaller so will actually be out of service for dynamic dining one night (depending on demand). If they didn't rotate they would have to take one MDR offline for dynamic dining totally, limiting options. It's a little different there, each restaurant offers the same menu every night (with some minor changes), and you choose which one to go to.

Thanks for the explanation!

The servers rotating with the dining party is the same as DCL isn't it?

ex techie

Yes, they definitely mirrored that, but I don't think the intent was to mirror Disney it was to use a Disney idea as part of a solution to their own issues.

Thanks for the explanation!

The servers rotating with the dining party is the same as DCL isn't it?

ex techie

Yes, they definitely mirrored that, but I don't think the intent was to mirror Disney it was to use a Disney idea as part of a solution to their own issues.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion :)

The way I see it is and read it is different, as I see it as the dining options on Quantum are not working, so they are trying imitating a DCL idea/concept (to a point) to try to see if that will work for them. I hope it does.

It would be boring if everyone thought the same wouldn't it!

ex techie

And I've just seen you're cruising on the Anthem! Hope you have a great cruise!

Except they are also keeping dynamic dining on the Anthem as well as rotational, something Disney does not offer. We'll be on the Anthem next year, see how it works out.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion :)

The way I see it is and read it is different, as I see it as the dining options on Quantum are not working, so they are trying imitating a DCL idea/concept (to a point) to try to see if that will work for them. I hope it does.

It would be boring if everyone thought the same wouldn't it!

ex techie

And I've just seen you're cruising on the Anthem! Hope you have a great cruise!

Except they are also keeping dynamic dining on the Anthem as well as rotational, something Disney does not offer. We'll be on the Anthem next year, see how it works out.

Absolutely agree!

I hope it does too and you have a great cruise and great dining experience!

ex techie

Well first, Dynamic Dining has about 12 different free MDR level options, so they have a LOT more variety than Disney...

They also have a great reservation system.

If you are used to dining at decent restaurants, its really a quite good system.

That said, Disney does a much better job with the MDR experience (not necessarily the food, that's subjective) - with the tradeoff being a lack of flexibility.

I'm not sure Dynamic Dining is far beyond Disney, its just a very different approach.

Maybe the DCL site isn't the place to ask' date=' but what is it and how does it surpass DCL? This is an honest question, not a "no way...." post[/quote']

Well first, Dynamic Dining has about 12 different free MDR level options, so they have a LOT more variety than Disney...

They also have a great reservation system.

If you are used to dining at decent restaurants, its really a quite good system.

That said, Disney does a much better job with the MDR experience (not necessarily the food, that's subjective) - with the tradeoff being a lack of flexibility.

I'm not sure Dynamic Dining is far beyond Disney, its just a very different approach.

Interesting....I just looked it up on their web site and watched their video. 18 dining venues, but only 5 are not upcharge! And one is reserved for what I guess is concierge guests. The video touted 3 restaurants, but all 3 were upcharge locations. And no guarantee that you'll be able to get a reservation time at the restaurant of your choice or ANY restaurant that doesn't charge an additional fee--when the reservations are full, that's it and "the system will suggest an alternative."

OK, I like the concept that you can pick a different time each night and you can pick a restaurant based on the menu in that location (from what I understand, the menu in each restaurant remains constant). But I don't like that I would have to make reservations in advance of cruising based on very limited information. Might be interesting though....but don't think my family would go for it. An the ship is UGLY in the video!

Definitely a different approach than DCL.

It's actually pretty easy to change reservations around on ship, so that's not as much a concern except for the smaller venues.

Rumor has it they are moving some venues to no upcharge as part of this, but no confirmation yet.

And of course you can go standby at any venue.

Interesting....I just looked it up on their web site and watched their video. 18 dining venues' date=' but only 5 are not upcharge! And one is reserved for what I guess is concierge guests. The video touted 3 restaurants, but all 3 were upcharge locations. And no guarantee that you'll be able to get a reservation time at the restaurant of your choice or ANY restaurant that doesn't charge an additional fee--when the reservations are full, that's it and "the system will suggest an alternative."

OK, I like the concept that you can pick a different time each night and you can pick a restaurant based on the menu in that location (from what I understand, the menu in each restaurant remains constant). But I don't like that I would have to make reservations in advance of cruising based on very limited information. Might be interesting though....but don't think my family would go for it. An the ship is UGLY in the video!

Definitely a different approach than DCL.[/quote']

FWIW I never found what disney does to be all that groundbreaking. As far as I know, the norm for cruises is that you have the same serving team. All disney did was have you change rooms. Big deal. After you've done it more than once it just feels gimmicky. To me at least.

FWIW I never found what disney does to be all that groundbreaking. As far as I know, the norm for cruises is that you have the same serving team. All disney did was have you change rooms. Big deal. After you've done it more than once it just feels gimmicky. To me at least.

It allows you to dine in different dining rooms. "Normal" cruises put you at the same place in the same dining room every single night. A different view is nice.

Plus their dining room theming is impressive. It's not like moving between three similar venues..

It allows you to dine in different dining rooms. "Normal" cruises put you at the same place in the same dining room every single night. A different view is nice.

It depends. If you're on a cruise that has set dining times you generally have the same serving team (there are of course exceptions such as when the ship also offers anytime dining).

On a cruise that has no set dining times you could wind up with a different service team each night of the cruise.