Missing Luggage at Disembarkation

hurwitz5

Luggage tags are quite tough. If they were ripped off deliberately, both could be ripped. I always treat servers very nicely, on land or at sea, to ensure my toothbrush would not be used for cleaning the plunger and to ensure the waiter's fingers would not be dipped in my soup.

Luggage tags are NOT quite tough ANYMORE. I was on Equinox last week and was putting tags on my bags and two of them ripped off while I was attaching them. One of our bags was not in the designated section when we left the ship. We found it in a separate section with a bunch of other bags with no luggage tags. Just another one of the cruise ships downgrades.

For those that self disembark now because of lost luggage, etc...I have a question. Can you take large suitcases on a self-disembark (as long as you can manage them yourself)? We have an early flight (not too early, at 12 noon), but would like to do a self disembark. We each have a large suitcase on wheels and a carry on and can manage ourselves, just want to make sure that it's okay.

Thanks!

We agree that putting 2 luggage tags (in different location) is a good thing. The odds of having two tags ripped are pretty remote. Have no idea if the cruise line would forward mis placed luggage, or whether somebody at the port would have a new wardrobe :). But as a very frequent traveler we always use two ID tags, 2 cruise line tags, etc...plus we put written contact info (name, address, phone, e-mails, etc) inside each piece.

Hank

We disembarked from the Summit Jan 31st and someone took my husband's VERY DISTINCT duffle bag from our designated area. We looked everywhere---through all the designated areas----3 times. We approached 4 different Celebrity representatives to ask for assistance and they all proceeded to say that it either 'wasn't their problem' or to go and look throughout the other areas to see if it was there----this after us telling them we had already looked. We even scanned the lineup to get through customs to see if someone had it there.

Long story short, I have spent over 4 hrs contacting both Celebrity and Delta airlines. Delta became involved because the person who 'took' the bag went on an excursion and left it there. Lucky for us, the honest driver saw the abandoned bag and tags (btw, the luggage tags were on the bag) and dropped it at the Delta counter. Delta apparently took the bag but had no where to send it.

The bag is supposed to be en route to Westin, FLA as of yesterday and we haven't heard anything since.

There is no system in place to ensure your luggage is not 'taken/stolen'. We found the fact that not only did our bag go missing, Celebrity reps were unhelpful and wanted to disassociate themselves from the matter.

We're still unsure if we will be receiving the bag and from now on, we will be in possession of our luggage at all times.

I find the 'security' regarding this issue to be of concern. There is nothing to stop someone from putting something in your luggage and creating a customs nightmare for you.

Really? :eek: You must have stiffed your stateroom attendant. That will do it every time. :rolleyes:

It was while boarding! Honestly!

Seriously, my point is that no method of labelling your luggage is fool proof. Despite having extremely distinctive luggage with a very distinctive luggage tag, one of or cases was taken in error at the end of our latest cruise by someone who had the same distinctive luggage [black printed with white spots and shocking pink bows] and shocking pink tag. Our case was larger and had two, rather than one, handle. I guess that the other person thought "no one else will have luggage like mine". I, luckily, am more obsessive about our luggage and could see at 10 yards that it was not our case.

We have now devised a method to make our luggage even more distinctive [which I am not going to share on Cruise Critic because, with our luck, we would meet the one person who adopted our good idea for their luggage ...] but were so pleased to read here a couple of days ago that suite luggage is now getting distinctive labels and a separate area for luggage at disembarkation as this reduces the number of fellow passengers who could mistake our luggage for theirs.

One thing I do to keep disembarkation tags from coming off our luggage is to take the backing paper off of both ends of the tag so that the joint has adhesive surface against adhesive surface without the backing paper in between. Wrap tag around handle and then remove the one end of the backing paper that is marked to be removed and use that as a template to remove same amount of backing paper from other end which provides a stronger tag joint when the ends are put together.;)

Edited by robtulipe