Missing Luggage at Disembarkation

hurwitz5

We just got off the Silhouette on February 1. Our friends requested early disembarkation

because they had an 11:00 am flight from Fort Lauderdale Airport. They arrived at the luggage area, section #4, at 8:30 am and found only 1 if their 2 large pieces of luggage. They panicked because they needed to get to the airport, yet they didn't want to leave the terminal without their piece of luggage.

The missing piece was eventually found 1/2 hour later (at 9:00 am) and our friends luckily made their flight. The missing bag was in another area of the baggage area because their Celebrity baggage tag was missing. This is a good reason to put 2 Celebrity tags on each piece of luggage - just in case one tag falls off or is ripped off.

What would Celebrity have done with the missing piece of luggage if it wasn't found in time for passengers to leave the terminal in order to make their flight? Would Celebrity pay to ship a 40 - 50 lb. bag to its owners or would the passengers pay for shipping the bag? Has anyone had this experience?

Luggage tags are quite tough. If they were ripped off deliberately, both could be ripped. I always treat servers very nicely, on land or at sea, to ensure my toothbrush would not be used for cleaning the plunger and to ensure the waiter's fingers would not be dipped in my soup.

We just got off the Silhouette on February 1. Our friends requested early disembarkation

because they had an 11:00 am flight from Fort Lauderdale Airport. They arrived at the luggage area, section #4, at 8:30 am and found only 1 if their 2 large pieces of luggage. They panicked because they needed to get to the airport, yet they didn't want to leave the terminal without their piece of luggage.

The missing piece was eventually found 1/2 hour later (at 9:00 am) and our friends luckily made their flight. The missing bag was in another area of the baggage area because their Celebrity baggage tag was missing. This is a good reason to put 2 Celebrity tags on each piece of luggage - just in case one tag falls off or is ripped off.

What would Celebrity have done with the missing piece of luggage if it wasn't found in time for passengers to leave the terminal in order to make their flight? Would Celebrity pay to ship a 40 - 50 lb. bag to its owners or would the passengers pay for shipping the bag? Has anyone had this experience?

I always put identification in the bag with my phone number. This also helps the airlines locate bags that go missing if the tag is ripped off by accident.

Has anyone left the cruise terminal without their luggage, because it was lost (not in the designated area)? If the bag is finally found in the terminal, what did Celebrity do with the bag? The cruise passengers we know almost left the terminal without their bag because they had a flight to catch.

Yes. Had bag picked up by another passenger. Celebrity tracked down the passenger and the bag was delivered to us via FedEx. Presume the other passenger paid. We now carry our bags off. too many problems with people not looking carefully (or at all) and picking up another persons' luggage.

Yes. Had bag picked up by another passenger. Celebrity tracked down the passenger and the bag was delivered to us via FedEx. Presume the other passenger paid. We now carry our bags off. too many problems with people not looking carefully (or at all) and picking up another persons' luggage.

Yes, we had similar happen to us on our latest cruise. The other person was told plainly by the officials that it was their responsibility to make good the mistake and cover the cost of returning our case and getting their own. Once that pint was made, the woman's husband returned to the port in a taxi to make the exchange.

Has anyone left the cruise terminal without their luggage, because it was lost (not in the designated area)? If the bag is finally found in the terminal, what did Celebrity do with the bag? The cruise passengers we know almost left the terminal without their bag because they had a flight to catch.

We got off the Silhouette last fall and my husband luggage was missing.We were very early off the ship because of a problem at home. We waiting many anxious hours and finally left for our drive home to NC. Celebrity was very helpful at the port. About 5 hours into our drive we received a cell phone call from Southwest Airlines that our luggage was at the Dallas airport? They could not figure out how it got there since we were not passengers on SW. A Celebrity passenger took our luggage by mistake, checked it through to Dallas and then just left it there. It caused quite a stir. We actually thought we would never see it again but between SW and Celebrity we eventually received it by FedEx.

Moral of the story: always put some sort of identifier on your luggage and your own name tag in addition to the Celebrity tags. It did not stop someone from taking our luggage but it was instrumental in its return to us.

We can not say enough good about the Celebrity and SW employees involved in this mess. They went above and beyond.

Not sure what happened to the luggage left at the port by the person taking our bag and by the way there was no similarity between the pieces of luggage.

We were told they said ' the porter ' did it?

My bag was not in the terminal, but another black bag with a silver ribbon almost like mine was left. I filled out a lost luggage form. I tried the number on the left luggage, but no answer. We had to leave to catch our flight.

Celebrity found the bag on their shuttle ( the person must have realized their mistake and lucky for me just left the bag )

Celebrity shipped the bag by DHL after I filled out the custom forms required to get my unattended bag through customs.(ROME) NO charge to me.

Good Job Celebrity.

Connie

Luggage tags are quite tough. If they were ripped off deliberately, both could be ripped.
The disembarkation tags are not that strong. Cruising friends of ours had the tags ripped off a piece of luggage twice, two cruises in a row. The bags were found in a different claim area. Now they bring the clear tape for wrapping packages and cover the baggage tags to make them stronger.

The missing bag was in another area of the baggage area because their Celebrity baggage tag was missing. This is a good reason to put 2 Celebrity tags on each piece of luggage - just in case one tag falls off or is ripped off.

I cannot tell you how many times this has happened to me - at least 4. So now I put 3 tags on each bag and reinforce them with packing tape. It's a pain to do all that at the end of the cruise, but much better than walking around the terminal looking for your bags. As a matter of fact one time not only was our cruise tag missing but our own personal luggage tag was missing off the bag. Thank goodness the bag was yellow and monogrammed with my initials.

I find that the disembarkation tags come off with just a slight pull and are no where near as sturdy as the ones they send in the mail for embarkation.

I have voiced my concerns to Celebrity each time this has happened, but yet, the disembarkation tags are still very flimsy.

Luggage tags are quite tough. If they were ripped off deliberately, both could be ripped. I always treat servers very nicely, on land or at sea, to ensure my toothbrush would not be used for cleaning the plunger and to ensure the waiter's fingers would not be dipped in my soup.

A diner noticed that when all the diners were served their coffee, and soup the waiter had her thumb in the liquid and questioned why. The server responded because her thumb was cold. The diner being rather disturbed about that made a sarcastic remark that she should stick it up her a$$. The waiter being very quick said she does when in the kitchen. :eek: ;) :D

happy cruising 🌊🚢🚢🌞

You can go on Amazon and purchase plastic luggage tag holders. They worked well the last few cruises.

Also, if you remove your automatic tips from your account, you better self disembark as your luggage just might not make it to the pier. :eek:

In addition, to the plastic luggage tags which work great, buy distinctive or ugly luggage! I have never seen my luggage on any flight or cruise ever. Mine is a blue print and I also wrap a neon green luggage strap around it, plus I have bright pink personal luggage tags in addition to the cruise line tags. Very easy to spot.:)

Luckily, we have only had one bag misplaced at disembarkation in all our cruising...also had to wait for the airport bus once for others with misplaced luggage.

We have walked off early with our luggage (each with 1 wheelie suitcase & 1 hand carry on ) on our last two cruises (7 and 5 days) .We plan to do the same on all cruises from now on even on longer cruises,

Will pack less, repeat more, use laundry and find a way to fold the tux if dh wants it instead of a dark jacket for formal night.. (we eat in BLU).

There's less stress having to get suitcases out by the door the night before, hoping we find them shore side, and lining up for customs ....starts to back up rather quickly...

It does require getting up early and lining up for walking off, but the line moves along once the ship is cleared. Some prefer to linger and suites now have a new option...but we like to get going on disembarkation day!

Two years ago we got off of our Norwegian Cruise in Quebec City and quickly got off the boat with our luggage and headed to the hotel. We gave our 4 bags to the valet to store in the luggage room until our room was ready. A Norwegian sponsored tour came to pick up passengers for a city tour ending at the port to board the cruise ship we had just departed from. When we came back at 3:00 pm, one of our bags was missing with all our clean clothes in it. We were staying in Quebec City 3 more nights. I desperately tried to contact the boat (they were leaving at 7 pm) to see if the bag had been brought to the boat. It took 3 days to finally find out that the bag was on the ship sailing back to Boston. We did eventually get the bag back (damaged) by FedEx. The bag was not put in a box. It was a hassle to get Norwegian to pay for it. The most disturbing part was that they loaded a bag on the ship that did not belong to a passenger.

My last cruise we had one of our bags put in the wrong area. Thankfully it was large enough and distinct enough for me to see it. I put bright green duct tape on the corners to make it stand out! :) It definitely helped in this case!

Our last cruise we could not find one of our bags. We had two identical ones and they are unique so I knew no one took it by mistake. I was in a panic as we are both disabled and had special transit waiting for us at the exit. After waiting as long as we could we had to leave without the bag after filling in the needed paperwork and having staff look all over for it.

5 hours later we got a call that the bag was found on the ship. It was never taken off by the crew. Strange as both bags were left out the night before .....

Long and short of it... we live an hour from the port and it was delivered by taxi an hour or two later.....

I was so happy I cried when I got it back... Thank you Celebrity for finding it.

Our next cruise we will make sure our bags are easy to spot (need to buy a new bag as the one that was lost was damaged)