Iceland or North Cape on the Prinsendam

bobbisailsolo

Debating two cruises on the Prinsendam and one on the new Koningsdam for next summer (2016) I can't make up my mind, and I can't afford both... Looking for some thoughts on which might be more interesting and scenic. I will be traveling solo, so unless I hook up on some tours on the roll call, I will be pretty much have to do the shore excursions through HAL, or just walk about the ports on my own(which is fine if there's enough to see). Here are links for the itineraries. I really like the Koningsdam itinerary, because it has both norway and iceland, plus some Scotland, which Ive not yet visited, but it's a large ship with 2500 passengers. I know its not going to get in close to the ports, like the Prinsedam can, and I would expect the scenery up the coast of Norway would be beautiful. Can anyone share some thoughts on this?

Bobbi

http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/CruiseDetails.action?webItineraryIdForAudit=E6K21S&fromSearchVacation=true&destList=EN&dateCode=&flexibleMonths=false&noOfFlexibleMonths=1&portCode=&shipCodeSearch=&voyageCode=K636A

http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/CruiseDetails.action?webItineraryIdForAudit=E6NS20&fromSearchVacation=true&destList=EN&dateCode=&flexibleMonths=false&noOfFlexibleMonths=1&portCode=&shipCodeSearch=&voyageCode=P640

http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/CruiseDetails.action?webItineraryIdForAudit=E6N20S&fromSearchVacation=true&destList=EN&dateCode=&flexibleMonths=false&noOfFlexibleMonths=1&portCode=&shipCodeSearch=&voyageCode=P632

(Will be posting on the northern europe forum as well)

Debating two cruises on the Prinsendam and one on the new Koningsdam for next summer (2016) I can't make up my mind, and I can't afford both... Looking for some thoughts on which might be more interesting and scenic. I will be traveling solo, so unless I hook up on some tours on the roll call, I will be pretty much have to do the shore excursions through HAL, or just walk about the ports on my own(which is fine if there's enough to see). Here are links for the itineraries. I really like the Koningsdam itinerary, because it has both norway and iceland, plus some Scotland, which Ive not yet visited, but it's a large ship with 2500 passengers. I know its not going to get in close to the ports, like the Prinsedam can, and I would expect the scenery up the coast of Norway would be beautiful. Can anyone share some thoughts on this?

Bobbi

http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/CruiseDetails.action?webItineraryIdForAudit=E6K21S&fromSearchVacation=true&destList=EN&dateCode=&flexibleMonths=false&noOfFlexibleMonths=1&portCode=&shipCodeSearch=&voyageCode=K636A

http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/CruiseDetails.action?webItineraryIdForAudit=E6NS20&fromSearchVacation=true&destList=EN&dateCode=&flexibleMonths=false&noOfFlexibleMonths=1&portCode=&shipCodeSearch=&voyageCode=P640

http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/CruiseDetails.action?webItineraryIdForAudit=E6N20S&fromSearchVacation=true&destList=EN&dateCode=&flexibleMonths=false&noOfFlexibleMonths=1&portCode=&shipCodeSearch=&voyageCode=P632

(Will be posting on the northern europe forum as well)

If you have not done the North Cape cruise DO IT!

We're doing the Iceland etc... this summer, but only because we have cruised Norway, in my case including a North Cape cruise.

Any or all of the three itineraries is excellent; I could flip a coin and be happy with the results.

But of the three itineraries, I would prefer the second---the one that goes to Longyearbyen and the Polar Ice Cap. That is one exotic cruise, and not everyone can say they have been there. It is a real kick to be in the pack ice, and look around in that flat light. Everything is various shades of grey, without a hint of color.

Take the other itineraries some other time---but do take them. All of these cruises are wonderful.

I would choose the second cruise you mentioned (out of the 3). I like the idea of the north cape AND you will be in Edinburgh in Aug., where you could take in the Royal Tattoo. I didn't see what time you leave, but I would guess the ship would leave late. It was a treat to see it. It's only done in August.

Just checked....HAL did plan for people to see the Royal Tattoo...you depart at 1 a.m. This is a great itinerary. However, one time in Iceland was enough for me!

Edited by LindaM
edit

Those are all great cruises. Two thoughts: Weather can be a factor. There is a chance that you may not be able to land at every one of those ports. Second, while I love the Prinsendam, I don't recommend booking an inside on her as they are really, really small.

Those are all great cruises. Two thoughts: Weather can be a factor. There is a chance that you may not be able to land at every one of those ports. Second, while I love the Prinsendam, I don't recommend booking an inside on her as they are really, really small.

I was able to secure an outside single. Its smaller than a regular outside, but has a full view. They are located very forward on the main deck i believe.

Any or all of the three itineraries is excellent; I could flip a coin and be happy with the results.

But of the three itineraries, I would prefer the second---the one that goes to Longyearbyen and the Polar Ice Cap. That is one exotic cruise, and not everyone can say they have been there. It is a real kick to be in the pack ice, and look around in that flat light. Everything is various shades of grey, without a hint of color.

Take the other itineraries some other time---but do take them. All of these cruises are wonderful.

Oh, that sounds lovely. My todo list just grew.

still undecided but i did eliminate the 2nd cruise... northern isles on the prinsendam... i looked at pics of the spitsbergen ports and they just didnt appeal to me. So now Ive narrowed it down to the North cape on the Prinsendam, which Im partial to for the scenic cruising.... and the northern isles & viking sagas on the Koningsdam which is about $1500 cheaper (equating to 7 excursions)... so its sounding better and better. Both ships have single outside full view cabins, which is a plus...

I have a northern lights roundtrip cruise booked for next winter on Hurtigruten, but I know norway will be totally different in the summer as opposed to winter. So what would you do?????

still undecided but i did eliminate the 2nd cruise... northern isles on the prinsendam... i looked at pics of the spitsbergen ports and they just didnt appeal to me. So now Ive narrowed it down to the North cape on the Prinsendam, which Im partial to for the scenic cruising.... and the northern isles & viking sagas on the Koningsdam which is about $1500 cheaper (equating to 7 excursions)... so its sounding better and better. Both ships have single outside full view cabins, which is a plus...

I have a northern lights roundtrip cruise booked for next winter on Hurtigruten, but I know norway will be totally different in the summer as opposed to winter. So what would you do?????

I would choose the new ship for $1500 less, our one Prinsendam experience was not worth the premium per diem paid. Not to mention the ship is very old in the tooth.

Either itinerary is excellent (I have been to most of these ports, as well as the ones on the itinerary you eliminated), several times. Personally, I prefer the 2nd one shown, for 20 days to North Cape. The further north you go in Norway, the more interesting and scenic it gets. The ports are not as visited as the more southerly ports are, and you get a real feel for the country.

Take the other cruise another time.

I am one of those who love the Prinsendam; obviously I haven't sailed the Koningsdam as she isn't in the fleet yet.

The Prinsendam is small enough to get into these ports and not dump so many tourists there at once. The ship itself is intimate, comfortable. You get to know the other passengers; the staff and crew get to know you, what you like. You are not lost in the crowd, which is likely to happen on the larger ship (it does on the Vista and Signature ships), so service is better.

Ruth , really appreciate your reply, since you've done both North Cape and Iceland. Looking at pics northern Norway looks beautiful... What did you think about the ports in Iceland? And the cruising to get there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking at pics northern Norway looks beautiful... What did you think about the ports in Iceland? And the cruising to get there?

No doubt about it, there can be a few bumps during the ride to Iceland, but that's true of any ocean. You know you are at sea.

Southern Iceland looks very different from northern Iceland.

Parts of Reykjavik look as if you were on the moon---it's that desolate. In my mind's eye, brown is predominant, with hints of black volcanic rock. Trees were brought in to make it a little more attractive, and there is green grass. It's an interesting city, with historical places to visit. You can see geysers, and make the mandatory tourist stop swimming in the Blue Lagoon.

Up north is more mountainous, green covers the land. Akureyri is smaller than Reykjavik, but is still a city. There's a garden there which is noted as being the northernmost (something; I forget) type of floral garden. It was lovely. I took a bus tour out of Isafjordur that took us out to bubbling lava fields (just smell the sulfur!), a place where the North American and European tectonic plates meet (that was fun---to have one foot on each continent :D), a massive waterfall, and a few other places. A very interesting day.

Yep, I'm leaning towards that. Why do so many people like the prinsedam?

Prinsendam is an old, elegant ship reminicent of the older ships ie The Norway. She is nothing like the newer ships. She was built with more expensive, quality materials. And, she is small. You can get from the dining room to the show lounge in a couple of minutes, I would guess! Or from your cabin to the Lido very quickly! That is important to some people who are willing to pay a premium to sail her. Her itineraries are usually interesting because she can get into smaller ports. Her passengers are generally well traveled, many staying on for a month! To me, it's a completely different cruising experience. We will have sailed her 5 out of 27 cruises. It's just different. Some people here don't notice the difference, or it's not important to them. They don't mind sailing a large ship. Prinsendam is for people who enjoy sailing a small, old ship and don't mind paying the premium. She isn't perfect. Our last cabin had a broken mirror and worn carpeting, along with rotted wood under a cabinet. I don't think many cabins are like that, or we would hear more here.

You do get people here who were expecting something different and are resentful they spent a premium to sail her. So, if money is going to be an issue, I would suggest sailing a larger, new ship.

Prinsendam is an old, elegant ship reminicent of the older ships ie The Norway. She is nothing like the newer ships. She was built with more expensive, quality materials. And, she is small. You can get from the dining room to the show lounge in a couple of minutes, I would guess! Or from your cabin to the Lido very quickly! That is important to some people who are willing to pay a premium to sail her. Her itineraries are usually interesting because she can get into smaller ports. Her passengers are generally well traveled, many staying on for a month! To me, it's a completely different cruising experience. We will have sailed her 5 out of 27 cruises. It's just different. Some people here don't notice the difference, or it's not important to them. They don't mind sailing a large ship. Prinsendam is for people who enjoy sailing a small, old ship and don't mind paying the premium. She isn't perfect. Our last cabin had a broken mirror and worn carpeting, along with rotted wood under a cabinet. I don't think many cabins are like that, or we would hear more here.

You do get people here who were expecting something different and are resentful they spent a premium to sail her. So, if money is going to be an issue, I would suggest sailing a larger, new ship.

I am one who was underwhelmed with the experience for the premium price paid on Prinsendam. Food and menus were standard for the fleet. Service was standard for the fleet which can be strained due to staffing cutbacks. the Lido was understaffed, no tableside service other than a guy bussing tables. I have no problem spending more money for a premium experience but this musty old ship is not premium.

Also check out the cruise critic member review section. The reviews were reorganized last year and ships within each brand are ranked statistically based on member reviews. The Prinsendam was dead last in satisfaction for a good while, now it is in the bottom two or three. The member reviews reflect a good cross section of cruisers.

I am one who was underwhelmed with the experience for the premium price paid on Prinsendam. Food and menus were standard for the fleet. Service was standard for the fleet which can be strained due to staffing cutbacks. the Lido was understaffed, no tableside service other than a guy bussing tables. I have no problem spending more money for a premium experience but this musty old ship is not premium.

Also check out the cruise critic member review section. The reviews were reorganized last year and ships within each brand are ranked statistically based on member reviews. The Prinsendam was dead last in satisfaction for a good while, now it is in the bottom two or three. The member reviews reflect a good cross section of cruisers.

As I've said before along with others here who enjoy Prinsendam, we feel those reviews are biased. They were written by people who feel they spent too much on Prinsendam. Your opinion is your opinion. I don't feel she is musty or her public rooms are old and shabby. I am entitled to my opinion as you are yours. I do believe people go on Prinsendam expecting a fancy perfect ship. We don't pretend she is. We just like her and you don't. Can't we agree to disagree? I will say your assessment of the service is totally off the mark. The service on Prinsendam is much better than our 2 cruises on Regent. We may have had not so great service a few times, but it was rare. I read reviews before our first P cruise, which could have been 9 years ago. I'm glad I didn't pay attention to them, although I was concerned. What I don't understand is how she could have the highest HAL repeater rate if she was as bad as you say she is. I know you like to discuss this as I do...would you care to explain that???

I want to thank everyone for all the advice given. It has really proven helpful. After reading all the comments, I've decided to do the north cape on the prinsendam. Here's my thoughts... First, I think the scenery will be nicer. As much as I would love to stop in Scotland, as I've never been, I plan on doing that on a land tour one day. And Iceland just doesn't do it for me at present time.. Now, I realize the Prinsendam is older and possibly a bit worn.. which makes it difficult to justify spending significantly more.. But as a single senior cruiser, I just don't think I want to deal with all the people (2500) on the Koningsdam. I like low key. So I'm thinking the Prinsendam will be better suited to my cruising style. I guess I'm just a boring person.. Lol. Hopefully my casual attire won't put anyone off, as I see not reason to dress up just to walk the halls by myself. As the scenery will be the main attraction on this cruise, I'm going to try and forego excursions as much as is feasible, although I definitely plan on doing the flam railway and something for Oslo. So tomorrow I'll let my "personal consultant" know which to book. I'm going with the guarantee outside single, and considering there are only two available it's a crap shoot where I'll end up... Hopefully it won't be the cabin with the rotted wood!

So any suggestions for a pre cruise hotel in Amsterdam???

I want to thank everyone for all the advice given. It has really proven helpful. After reading all the comments, I've decided to do the north cape on the prinsendam. Here's my thoughts... First, I think the scenery will be nicer. As much as I would love to stop in Scotland, as I've never been, I plan on doing that on a land tour one day. And Iceland just doesn't do it for me at present time.. Now, I realize the Prinsendam is older and possibly a bit worn.. which makes it difficult to justify spending significantly more.. But as a single senior cruiser, I just don't think I want to deal with all the people (2500) on the Koningsdam. I like low key. So I'm thinking the Prinsendam will be better suited to my cruising style. I guess I'm just a boring person.. Lol. Hopefully my casual attire won't put anyone off, as I see not reason to dress up just to walk the halls by myself. As the scenery will be the main attraction on this cruise, I'm going to try and forego excursions as much as is feasible, although I definitely plan on doing the flam railway and something for Oslo. So tomorrow I'll let my "personal consultant" know which to book. I'm going with the guarantee outside single, and considering there are only two available it's a crap shoot where I'll end up... Hopefully it won't be the cabin with the rotted wood!

So any suggestions for a pre cruise hotel in Amsterdam???

Bobbi, you will love Norway, we did it two years ago on the Ryndam, which we thought was a nice ship. Funny that you talked about a land tour of Scotland, we finally did one with CIE tours and it was terrific.

We've stayed twice at the Hotel Pulitzer, part of the Starwood luxury collection. It is a five minute walk to the Anne Frank House and ten minute walk to the main square where a lot of the guided walking tours depart. It is an older hotel property in immaculate condition. The concierge staff is great.

I recommend the HAL's hotel The Marriott. It's very nice and in a great location. The best part is, you won't have to worry about transportation. The concierge printed our boarding passes for us as well. Delta has several direct flights to AMS from DTW. You will find that HAL has some competetive prices. You find the flights you want, then have your TA call HAL for prices. I like the protection in case summer storms in the D cancel flights. We are from the same area, it appears!

I think you made the right choice. To me, the size of a ship is very important. P is so easy to get on and off of. Don't worry about rotted wood. It is from moisture from the fridge. We've had 4 cruises on P. This was the first time we had any issues with our cabin. And, don't worry about attire. People are very casual, even at dinner,especially with this type of scenic itinerary. I think you are going on with the right expectaions about P. I will be anxious to hear your impression. I think you will be very satisfied.

Edited by LindaM
edit

We're also considering the Prinsendam which is in August that includes the Polar Cap and Longyearbyen or the Koningsdam Voyage of the Midnight Sun which is in May that doesn't do the Polar Cap/Longyearbyen but cruises North Cape and goes to Honningsvag.

The Koningsdam doesn't do Iceland but we would do a pre-cruise stay there.

This area is totally new to us! I know weather is a crap shoot on any cruise and Ports get missed. One concern though is if we book the Prinsendam with the Polar Cap and Longyearbyen could there be a good chance of not being able to Cruise the Polar Cap and missing Longyearben. Also, how does Cruising North Cape and Honningsvag compare to Polar Cap, etc?

Do you know which month is a better time to go? May or August?

We also love the Prinsendam and appreciate the small Ship experience. The Koningsdam though is considerably less in pricing.

Thank you! Any input would be appreciated! :)

Eileen

Not having been to either, I googled all the ports and looked at the pics. There is not much to see on Longyerabyen, IMO... That's why I chose the prinsedam itinerary in jun doing the north cape. Also look at the current cruises for 2015 and study the shore excursions. That may help you make up your mind. I really like the aug 14 itinerary on the Koningsdam...but decided I'd rather concentrate on just Norway. There seem to be several 2 day sea days that are not designated sea days...which seemed like a waste to me considering it's probably too cold to hang out at the pool.. So if I'm going to be cruising, I'd rather have it scenic...

One concern though is if we book the Prinsendam with the Polar Cap and Longyearbyen could there be a good chance of not being able to Cruise the Polar Cap and missing Longyearben. Also, how does Cruising North Cape and Honningsvag compare to Polar Cap, etc?

Do you know which month is a better time to go? May or August?

When I took this cruise we had to miss one port because of a medical emergency. We were heading to the Polar Ice Cap when we had to return to (IIRC) Longyearbyen to drop the sick passenger off, then headed north again to reach the ice. Getting to the ice floes must have been very important to the captain, as he made that the second priority, after helping the sick woman.

We cruised around for a long time trying to find the ice, and were within a half hour of turning back when he found the ice. :) We were 500 miles from the north pole! :D

We stayed there quite a while, with the front end of the ship all the way in the ice to about 1/3 the length of the ship. There was an officer hanging over the bow, with several people holding on to him. He was closely watching the ice and what it was doing to the ship. The neat thing is that on that ship you can see the bow from the same deck---there is no full barrier between the promenade and the bow, just a half wall that you can easily look over.

Eventually we backed out of the ice very carefully and headed south.

I think the only reason for missing the polar ice would be if it had receded so far that it couldn't be reached in the time allowed, or some other extreme reason such as illness.

North Cape itself is different. It is high on a cliff, frequently shrouded in fog. When I was there it would have been easy to step off the edge if there hadn't been a fence. Couldn't see a thing!

The ship does scenic cruising later, usually after the fog has lifted (twice out of two times I was there).

The town of Honningsvag has some interesting places to go. There was a neat ice bar a short walk from the pier the last time I was there. It was fun. :D

I liked Longyearbyen. There was an interesting museum to tour in town. A little further out there is a bar that has some claim to fame that I don't recall.

This is the town where the seeds of every plant known are kept so that they don't become extinct.

I would rather go in August than May. In May there is still going to be too much snow and ice in many of the ports further north. I've been in both months, as well as July, and really prefer later over earlier.