RCI Luggage Valet

duegwb

Has anyone recently used this service? We used Carnival's version of this last year and it was a nightmare. I had to go to guest services several times to get my boarding pass and paperwork we needed. It took forever for us to get off the ship. We also weren't on the list of approved people in a group; even though we paid for the program.

Have used this a couple of times and was a breeze. Last month from IOS we had our boarding passes and luggage tags in the cabin the last day delivered by our steward, along with more instructions about debarking. We were free to exit the ship anytime after 8:30.

Have used this a couple of times and was a breeze. Last month from IOS we had our boarding passes and luggage tags in the cabin the last day delivered by our steward, along with more instructions about debarking. We were free to exit the ship anytime after 8:30.

We're coming off IOS this summer and I was looking for a way to not have to carry my bags everywhere. I thought of renting a car for the fay, but this option is cheaper I think. We didn't get off the ship until almost 1030 due to someone on the list not being there. Do you have to meet in a certain spot on the ship before disembarking?

Used it for the first time on Oasis for a Ft. Lauderdale departure last week. Would not hesitate to do it again. It was incredibly easy. We got our boarding passes delivered to our cabin along with luggage tags and walked off the ship with ease, not having to juggle luggage. It is a fantastic service.

That said, there was a guest on the Oasis last week who lost her luggage when she had been selected for a customs check and her bags never made it to the airport. They did finally make it home to her, but I guess when I do it again, and IF we were chosen for a customs random check, I'd be more aware of where my bags were. Her bags never made it to her customs check either. I suspect this is a very rare occurrence, but if it's your bags, it's a big deal.

Edited by cruisingram1

We just used Luggage Valet on our cruises last month. It was seamless and we claimed our luggage at our home airport LAS. Couldn't be happier.

Because we're Pinnacle it was complimentary. It's also free if you are in a Grand Suite or above. :)

Edited by rednancy1

Used it for the first time on Oasis for a Ft. Lauderdale departure last week. Would not hesitate to do it again. It was incredibly easy. We got our boarding passes delivered to our cabin along with luggage tags and walked off the ship with ease, not having to juggle luggage. It is a fantastic service.

That said, there was a guest on the Oasis last week who lost her luggage when she had been selected for a customs check and her bags never made it to the airport. They did finally make it home to her, but I guess when I do it again, and IF we were chosen for a customs random check, I'd be more aware of where my bags were. Her bags never made it to her customs check either. I suspect this is a very rare occurrence, but if it's your bags, it's a big deal.

I wonder how they pick you for a random customs check? When they do that, I would imagine they would notify you about it before you leave?

I wonder how they pick you for a random customs check? When they do that, I would imagine they would notify you about it before you leave?

No problems with luggage valet (which was free with my suite). When opening my bags at home I found a customs inspection card in one of them. Not sure why that bag was picked. Perhaps the container of seashells we had collected on Sanibel Island prior to our cruises?

• 2 weeks later...

We used it February 8th when we departed Allure. The information provided on the LV form stated that flights must depart after 11:30AM, however we were still able to use the service even though our flight departed FLL at 11:29AM. :p What a great service that worked flawlessly.

Edited by cruisenfever

Used it on our Alaska cruise Seattle round trip. It was great. Got our tags early. We had a late flight and daughter stayed in Seattle over night. We were able to go with daughter without worry about our bags. Could have used our time to tour Seattle.

Just an FYI regarding the LV charge which is $20pp for up to 2 checked bags.

Everyone who signs up for LV, with eligible flights on participating airlines, will be charged the $20 fee even if the service is complimentary because of your cabin category (GS and above) or your C&A level (PC Members).

These charges are adjusted the night prior to debarkation to reflect those pax that are eligible for complimentary service and the credit will show up on your final statement.

Used it multiple times in multiple ports, never a problem. I wish it was available in more places (San Juan).

You are correct about wishing it was available in San Juan. I remember our AOS cruise from San Juan about 10 years ago. We disembarked AOS and caught a cab to the airport. The airport was absolute bedlam, lines, lines, more lines - long ones, too. We didn't feel like dealing with this, we summoned a porter/sky cap. He let us know right off the bat the "protocol". He said "you help me, I'll help you." I may have even "prepaid", gave him an oversized tip/"service fee". We bypassed all the lines, he took us right to the ticket counter, with bags. I saw a little discussion between the sky cap and the counter agent, some money may have even changed hands....BOOM, the bags were put on the conveyor belt, and we were at a very short security line. Had to save us at the very least a half hour.

You are correct about wishing it was available in San Juan. I remember our AOS cruise from San Juan about 10 years ago. We disembarked AOS and caught a cab to the airport. The airport was absolute bedlam, lines, lines, more lines - long ones, too. We didn't feel like dealing with this, we summoned a porter/sky cap. He let us know right off the bat the "protocol". He said "you help me, I'll help you." I may have even "prepaid", gave him an oversized tip/"service fee". We bypassed all the lines, he took us right to the ticket counter, with bags. I saw a little discussion between the sky cap and the counter agent, some money may have even changed hands....BOOM, the bags were put on the conveyor belt, and we were at a very short security line. Had to save us at the very least a half hour.

Similar experience with my first cruise from San Juan. Arrived to an unexpected long line which wrapped around the whole airport for the Agriculture Inspection, went back outside, found a porter/sky cap, provided a nice tip and *snap* my bag was scanned and I was in front of the check in desk before I could blink. Next time I will plan better so as not to add inconvenience to those waiting in the long lines but it got me on my flight in time. Would love it if LV was added for this port!

Just an FYI regarding the LV charge which is $20pp for up to 2 checked bags.

Everyone who signs up for LV, with eligible flights on participating airlines, will be charged the $20 fee even if the service is complimentary because of your cabin category (GS and above) or your C&A level (PC Members).

These charges are adjusted the night prior to debarkation to reflect those pax that are eligible for complimentary service and the credit will show up on your final statement.

I have never understood why they do this, do you know why? RCI IT?

I have never understood why they do this, do you know why? RCI IT?

I was told that everyone must be charged when they initially sign up because not everyone is entitled to the complimentary service. Once they have their list, then they can go through and see who is eligible and adjust those SeaPass Accounts accordingly.

Bottom line is...... it's just too complicated for their computer system to handle!!:D

Similar experience with my first cruise from San Juan. Arrived to an unexpected long line which wrapped around the whole airport for the Agriculture Inspection, went back outside, found a porter/sky cap, provided a nice tip and *snap* my bag was scanned and I was in front of the check in desk before I could blink. Next time I will plan better so as not to add inconvenience to those waiting in the long lines but it got me on my flight in time. Would love it if LV was added for this port!

How much was your tip? Just curious.