MSC lies again

modes

They said that they will sail year round from Miami after the ship comes back from dry dock in Oct. 2015, well it appears that was bull because she will be returning to the Med in late April 2015 and be in the Med until end of Oct. 2016 from there who knows what will happen. They also said that they signed a 3 year contract with the port of Miami to sail year round.

Why is that a problem?

Is that you want to be able to sail on her all year round and without having to travel to Europe to do so at some stage.

Ive sailed on the Davina from Miami and it took me 18 hours in the air to get there, so I really am looking forward to my next trip in May which is from Rome and only 8 hours flying time from where I live.

I do however love leaving from Miami and will do so again next year.

They said that they will sail year round from Miami after the ship comes back from dry dock in Oct. 2015, well it appears that was bull because she will be returning to the Med in late April 2015 and be in the Med until end of Oct. 2016 from there who knows what will happen. They also said that they signed a 3 year contract with the port of Miami to sail year round.

Really old news. I e been booked on one of the Med sailings on her since last year.

Who knows why they changed their minds. Suspect some of the unbelievably low fares they've been offering in the US to fill her may be the reason. They can command much higher rates in Europe. I'm sure they intended to keep a ship all year round in the US, but a business can't just blindly stick to a plan if it is not working and they're not getting the revenue they had hoped for.

Really old news. I e been booked on one of the Med sailings on her since last year.

Who knows why they changed their minds. Suspect some of the unbelievably low fares they've been offering in the US to fill her may be the reason. They can command much higher rates in Europe. I'm sure they intended to keep a ship all year round in the US, but a business can't just blindly stick to a plan if it is not working and they're not getting the revenue they had hoped for.

I agree that any business must adapt to changes in the market that affect bottom line, but I wonder what was the cost of cancelling the contract with port of Miami, assuming there was such a contract. Was any public statement made explaining the change of port strategy?

Divina's Caribbean itinerary had little variety, and much competition. How many ships can sail the same itinerary over and over? The Miami, San Juan, St. Thomas sailings are too common, and thus saturated. MSC would do well to add some variety.

Divina's Caribbean itinerary had little variety, and much competition. How many ships can sail the same itinerary over and over? The Miami, San Juan, St. Thomas sailings are too common, and thus saturated. MSC would do well to add some variety.

I'm new to sailing, and my first cruise was on Divina this year. We enjoyed the ship and the cruise, and would happily sail Divina again if she had more North American itineraries in 2016. Sailing someplace other than Nassau would also be a treat. Nothing wrong with Nassau itself, but it seems like every line serving the Caribbean sails to Nassau. Then it becomes a competition based on price or ship amenities since everyone's going to the same ports.

Most cruiselines reposition to Europe for the European Summer, which by the way is low season in South America or Caribbean. I find that to be OK. If MSc lied about it? Well.... You might be able to sail with other cruiseline if you wish to sail in the Caribbean on low season. Why do you miss MSC?

Modes ... Divina has sailed year round from Miami and will do until it leaves in April. when the ship arrives back later in the year it will again sail from Miami, so far the itineraries only go up to April 2016 so what is the problem.

I have sailed in the Yacht Club on the Divina and in the Haven on Ncl. The mere presence of the Divina has substantially lowered NCL's fares out of Miami. I just booked a great fare on the NCL Escape which included the dinner package, drink package, $350 credit and the Haven for 4 people at slightly above $5,000. Without the Divina sailing from Miami full or part time, this deal does not exist on NCL. MSC's competition with NCL is great for cruise consumers,

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The Divina did sail year-round from Miami. Nothing lasts forever.

I am hoping the MSC forum will rebalance, for a time, once the Divina has returned to the Med.

Looks like it already has, the traffic hear has gone to zilch! ;)

:confused: Just deal with it

I'm quite happy about that, more business in the Med.

In prespective, since this is really old news, MSC made a great move. The Euro has devalued against the Dollar, so more American people will choose travelling to Europe, and obviously less Europeans will go to America / Caribbean.

Modes ... Divina has sailed year round from Miami and will do until it leaves in April. when the ship arrives back later in the year it will again sail from Miami, so far the itineraries only go up to April 2016 so what is the problem.[/quote IT will go back to the MED at the end of April 2016, so that is not year round.
Edited by riclop

Modes ... Divina has sailed year round from Miami and will do until it leaves in April. when the ship arrives back later in the year it will again sail from Miami, so far the itineraries only go up to April 2016 so what is the problem.

Do your homework it's going back to the med in April 2016.

Modes ... I have done my homework and as i said previous the UK site only goes to April and does not show anything beyond!

At the end of the day they are making less money than they would in the Med so that may be the reason for it, what will be interesting is to see how many of you new cheerleaders of Divina will still sail on it once prices increase!

Modes ... I have done my homework and as i said previous the UK site only goes to April and does not show anything beyond!

At the end of the day they are making less money than they would in the Med so that may be the reason for it, what will be interesting is to see how many of you new cheerleaders of Divina will still sail on it once prices increase!

Wouldn't it be fantastic if we could get anything like the prices on this side of the pond that MSC offers in the US, Sid? The only time we get serious discounted rates is in Winter when the weather isn't very attractive!

Like I said after April 2016 it is going back to the med. Check the German site it's all there, it's called doing your homework.

Like I said after April 2016 it is going back to the med. Check the German site it's all there, it's called doing your homework.

Also announced that Germany is getting a second Fantasia class ship based there, so that is no doubtbthe reason for not bringing one to the US in summer 2016. Very high demand in Germany and high prices for Baltic cruise, Fivina replaces the one going to Germany in the Med - again high demand and prices (especially July and Sugust), compared to heavily discounted fares in the Caribbean because if too much competition and perhaps the European line not appealing universally in the US and there you have it.

It invariably comes down to money.

They still have 2 ships in the Caribbean in the winter, albeit the other one appeals more to Europeans as it doesn't sail out of the US.

Also, I believe it was announced that one of the new-builds would be replacing the Divina in the U.S..

I suspect the Divina US experiment was more about collecting data to inform the interior design and operation of the new ships and introducing the brand there than actually making money in the short-term.

The stated aspiration of wanting to build the 'iPhone' (by which I understand 'most profitable') of cruise ships could well be realised. Shorter, fatter, taller and slower ships, fast food, free water, free children, free grandparents, fake-friendly service, towel animals and gratuities on top of gratuities.

Carnival should be concerned. MSC does not have their legacy (previous guest issues) in the US and can be relatively nimble on their feet when they hit the US market for real.

Edited by Skipper Tim

Modes ... MSC have been known to show a ship on a certain itinerary in a certain country only for them to change not just the itinerary but also the ship! Divina may well go back to the Med because MSC see better revenue there than what they would get during the summer months.

But they may also be trying to get North Americans to travel!

Edited by sidari

MSC is introducing their line to the US market with the low prices on Divinia. These low prices will not last as they build their fan base. If you want to sail them at these prices, do so in the next year or so. prices will go up, or, at a minimum, more up sells on-board.

The new ships are designed for warm weather - expect to see one in Miami.

Wouldn't it be fantastic if we could get anything like the prices on this side of the pond that MSC offers in the US, Sid? The only time we get serious discounted rates is in Winter when the weather isn't very attractive!

If you book through a US travel agency and can pay in US$, you might be able to get a better price that way ...

MSC is introducing their line to the US market with the low prices on Divinia. These low prices will not last as they build their fan base. If you want to sail them at these prices, do so in the next year or so. prices will go up, or, at a minimum, more up sells on-board.

The new ships are designed for warm weather - expect to see one in Miami.

We hope you are right.

I'm new to sailing, and my first cruise was on Divina this year. We enjoyed the ship and the cruise, and would happily sail Divina again if she had more North American itineraries in 2016. Sailing someplace other than Nassau would also be a treat. Nothing wrong with Nassau itself, but it seems like every line serving the Caribbean sails to Nassau. Then it becomes a competition based on price or ship amenities since everyone's going to the same ports.

Ours didn't stop at Nassau, we went to Great Stirrup Cay instead (NCLs private island).