Progreso on our own ?

Joie

can you just walk around the area and shop, eat and maybe sit on the beach for awhile, or should we sign up for a beach excursion ?

We are going in a few weeks and it's my daughter and myself and taking a 15 yr old granddaughter. Really don't want to go to the ruins. Would like to just see the area if it's safe for us.

any info greatly appreciated.

The pier has a very well deserved title of being the longest in the world. It is approximately 5 miles long.

Some cruisers here have written about having positive experiences going to town on their own. We have been there twice and booked cruise line sponsored shore excursions both times to make the best use of our time. The first time we booked an excursion to the Mayan Ruins of Uxmal, and the second was to Chichen Itza.

Here is a link to a very well-written and informative article about Progreso

http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/newport.cfm?ID=91

I hope this helps. Happy cruising.

Progreso is not the glitzy tourist town but that makes it more interesting. Take the bus to town and walk a few blocks away from the beach. This is how the locals live. Hundreds of stores and little shops with bargains galore, especially if you can speak a little Spanish. Then there are the mom and pop eateries. Some of these are fantastic.

You are dropped off about two blocks from the beach when you first arrive. If in doubt on directions you can ask a local at the straw market dropoff place. Most vendors there speak English. There is a long street that runs along the beach called the Malecon. Bars, stores and eateries the full length. Crowds thin out the farther you go. Walk until you see a spot that you like and find a palapa with a shade and enjoy. There will be a waiter to serve you right on the beach.

The vendors were getting a little pushy on our last trip but they are only trying to make a living. A polite gracias no will usually get you a little peace for, perhaps, ten minutes. Then the second shift vendors move in.;)

thank you for the replies. We've been to Jamaica and know about the local vendors......hope they are not worse than that......but we know they are trying to make a living so patience is good.

We stopped in Progresso last week when we were on the Elation. The cruise ship talk tells you to take a tour because there is not much to do. We went on our own. Took the bus they provide into town. Went walking around down toward the beach. Had lunch and drinks on the beach. It was beautiful. Walked a little further and found massages for $10 for 30 minutes. Sat on the patios of some establishments and talked with Americans that live there for the winter. I can't wait to go back and do it again. Shopping was good for souvenirs. We felt very safe there

• 2 weeks later...

Work4vacation: What bus did you take into town, and was it the town of Progreso? I have been to Merida and on the Beach Break excursion, but was looking for something a little more on our own. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Work4vacation: What bus did you take into town, and was it the town of Progreso? I have been to Merida and on the Beach Break excursion, but was looking for something a little more on our own. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

There is a bus that runs from the ship and drops you at a straw market in town (Progreso), about 2 blocks from the beach. The buses run all day so you can return to the ship when you want to. This is a neat town to explore. Neat markets back in town away from the Malecon (Main Street). You can walk to the beach and veg, take a ride on the double decker bus, shop, swim or get as drunk as a skunk. Le Saint Bonnet Restuarant had good food when we were there. The fish market is behind their building. When you order seafood they walk out the back door and get it. The only way you can get it fresher is to catch it yourself.;)

Edited by clackey

My expectations were low last year when we stopped in Progreso on the Triumph. Apparently they weren't set low enough. It probably didn't help that it was rainy most of our time in port. The vendors were a lot worse than Jamaica. It seemed they wouldn't take no for an answer. We may not even get off the ship this year in Progreso.