Serenade of the Seas vs Jewel

Veng

Last summer we did our first cruise period on the jewel. We really liked the ship but we also really liked exploring the ship. The Serenade is also a Radiance class ship, so will it be nearly identical to the Jewel? I looked through the deck plans and it seems almost identical to the Jewel. This year we're looking to cruise sometime September/Octoberish and looking for something non Caribbean. So there's a 12 night new england / canada cruise which looked like it could be fun, but it looks like it'll effectively be the same ship. Which isn't bad, we liked the Jewel a lot, but we'd prefer something different or perhaps larger. Any suggestions?

Last summer we did our first cruise period on the jewel. We really liked the ship but we also really liked exploring the ship. The Serenade is also a Radiance class ship, so will it be nearly identical to the Jewel? I looked through the deck plans and it seems almost identical to the Jewel. This year we're looking to cruise sometime September/Octoberish and looking for something non Caribbean. So there's a 12 night new england / canada cruise which looked like it could be fun, but it looks like it'll effectively be the same ship. Which isn't bad, we liked the Jewel a lot, but we'd prefer something different or perhaps larger. Any suggestions?

Jewel hasn't been upgraded yet and won't be until 5-2016. The biggest difference is no SeaView Cafe on Serenade...JOS is the last Radiance class ship to have this classic feature until then..many are sad to see it go.

Have you considered the 9 night Liberty..now that looks good to me...that itinerary on that ship.

Well if you want larger, Ashland is right - Liberty. However, we love Radiance-class ships and the differences between Jewel and Serenade are mostly cosmetic, one structural (stairs removed between Decks 4 and 5 on Serenade on the refurb). But we still love the outdoor aft Windjammer seating on Radiance class and all the glass and windows. Once you get up to Voyager class and beyond, you are looking at ships with a Royal Promenade down the middle of the inside of the ship, Liberty included.

I don't know - it's such a personal decision and we all have our own opinions/choices/preferences! :p:)

I hadn't seen the 9 nights on the liberty, thanks! I know it's not RCL, but anyone have any thoughts on Golden Princess? There's a 10 day Alaskan out of San Fran which looks really fun that'll likely be the other main contender.

• 1 month later...
We're looking at the jewel in March, 2026 or serenade for 11 days in April 2016, with Jewel it's being refurbished in April 2016 is it better to hold off till it's gone through Drydock?

Have they put out schedules for 2026 already????? :eek: LOL!

We were on the Jewel a year ago this past Feb and just got off the Serenade this past weekend. They are very, very similar though we liked the Jewel better for cosmetic reasons only. Both cruises were great with no regrets.

Did you find the food quality or selection different from the two ships,

On both ships, we skipped the specialty restaurants in favor of the MDR. We loved the food. I give the Jewel a slight edge over the Serenade in the WJ. Would I go back on the Serenade? Definitely.

What're they doing to the centrum? What do you think of Brilliance out of Tampa?

The Brilliance is a sister ship to the Jewel and Serenade and as far as I am concerned, just as nice. However, out of Tampa is only a 5 day cruise as opposed to 7 on the Jewel and 10/11 on the Serenade. As to the Centrum maybe Sam Fritz is referring to the aerial shows??

Edited by BillB48

I would love to go on Serenade but I know if I would get the time off, Jewel the schedule isn't out for April yet what're your thoughts about going to some of the same ports, we were in San Juan In Nov with Carnival going to St Thomas, St Lucia, St kitts, Barbados and St Maarten.

What're they doing to the centrum? What do you think of Brilliance out of Tampa?

They've taken out the glass staircases, water fountain, and the multi-story sculpture/art. Instead they have a fifteen minute circ du solei type show. But it is very crowded and difficult to find a place to view the show. It's a cool show if you can see it, but I don't think it's worth what they've taken away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have a photo of the refurb? I was on the Serenade several years ago, and will be going again in April 2016. (Cocacola86, I think it is the cruise that you are considering. Hope you join us!) Would be curious as to what it looks like now.