Whale watch -- ISP/Hoonah or Juneau?

CowPrincess

We are going to do ONE whale watch on our next cruise. Any thoughts about whether to go in Juneau or in ISP? Initially I thought we'd go in ISP, and do a hike on Douglas Island while in Juneau. Now I'm looking at ISP/Hoonah and it looks like there are lots of cool things to check out there.

So..... now I'm torn. Would appreciate feedback. Thanks in advance!

Some thing else to consider.... when I went Juneau whale watching.... the whales were found in "Favourite Channel" or Lincoln Island. When I look at Google map.... that's halfway to Hoonah.

I wonder if both Hoonah and Juneau whale watches go to the same place.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Icy+Strait+Point,+Cannery+Road,+Hoonah,+AK,+United+States&hl=en&ll=58.263287,-134.884644&spn=0.611133,1.561432&sll=58.225704,-134.839325&sspn=0.611781,1.561432&oq=icy+str&t=m&z=10

Some thing else to consider.... when I went Juneau whale watching.... the whales were found in "Favourite Channel" or Lincoln Island. When I look at Google map.... that's halfway to Hoonah.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Icy+Strait+Point,+Cannery+Road,+Hoonah,+AK,+United+States&hl=en&ll=58.263287,-134.884644&spn=0.611133,1.561432&sll=58.225704,-134.839325&sspn=0.611781,1.561432&oq=icy+str&t=m&z=10

I think that whole area from Glacier Bay down to Icy Strait over to Juneau is whale feeding grounds. Its about 4 hours from Juneau to ISP via car ferry. Given the length of most whale watching tours, its possible, but not likely that a whale tour from Juneau would be watching the same whales a tour from ISP is watching.

That being said, there is so much more to do in Juneau and so much less to do in ISP. Doing a whale watch in ISP would free you to do other things in Juneau.

Good luck!

I think that whole area from Glacier Bay down to Icy Strait over to Juneau is whale feeding grounds. Its about 4 hours from Juneau to ISP via car ferry. Given the length of most whale watching tours, its possible, but not likely that a whale tour from Juneau would be watching the same whales a tour from ISP is watching.

That being said, there is so much more to do in Juneau and so much less to do in ISP. Doing a whale watch in ISP would free you to do other things in Juneau.

Good luck!

I picked our cruise this Jube because it has a 4th port stop at ISP. Doing whale watching there and renting a car to see other things on Juneau.

Good luck!

I agree that getting to the same area from both Juneau and ISP would take far too long, but it was a good thought ;)

Have been to Juneau a number of times; this time we are plannig on a hike on Douglas Island, just for a change of pace. Am kinda afraid we will miss out on something AWESOME in ISP :D

I agree with this 100%.

For ISP, I highly recommend Misty Bay. Capt. Dan is excellent, his boat is a smooth riding catamaran, and there is a viewing platform on top of the boat you can climb up to. He only takes 6 people, so it's very intimate...not a whole boatload of people running from side to side whenever whales surface.

Have been to Juneau a number of times; this time we are plannig on a hike on Douglas Island, just for a change of pace. Am kinda afraid we will miss out on something AWESOME in ISP

Great idea. I stayed in Juneau for a week last summer and some of my most fond memories were the hikes I took. I recommend Perseverance Trail on Basin Rd for an easy 2-3 hour hike. On Douglas Island, my favorite hikes were along the beach at a roadside stop and at the ski resort.

Edited by Aquahound

I agree with this 100%.

For ISP, I highly recommend Misty Bay. Capt. Dan is excellent, his boat is a smooth riding catamaran, and there is a viewing platform on top of the boat you can climb up to. He only takes 6 people, so it's very intimate...not a whole boatload of people running from side to side whenever whales surface.

Great idea. I stayed in Juneau for a week last summer and some of my most fond memories were the hikes I took. I recommend Perseverance Trail on Basin Rd for an easy 2-3 hour hike. On Douglas Island, my favorite hikes were along the beach at a roadside stop and at the ski resort.

Thanks for those suggestions! All of them, including Capt Dan :D Perseverance Trail doesn't really appeal, I like good lines of sight to watch for bears :) Worrying about a bear encounter can ruin a day for me. I do enough "bear worrying" at home!

I will definitely try to find more information on the beach/roadside stop hike. Thanks!

Edited by CowPrincess

We have been to Alaska twice. On our first Alaska cruise, we went for a whale watching tour in Juneau and saw some amazing bubblenet-feeding and breeching. It was all close enough to our small excursion boat to really enjoy it.

The second time we were in Juneau, a few years later, the whales were less active and so far away we felt like we had wasted our time. However, on that same cruise, at our port stop in Icy Strait, we took a whale watch/bear watch combo tour more than made up for it. There were whales all around our excursion boat! As an added plus, we saw two brown bears trying to catch salmon.

Alaska in amazing!

We never saw a many whales any place as we saw in our prior visit to Icy Strait Point...Absolutely incredible...

When we return in June, Whale Watching is already booked for us in ISP!!!

And, yes, lots of other things to see in Juneau...I really recommend the helicopter glacier landing we did last time with Coastal Helicopters--though it is pricey...This time, we'll likely do something else in Juneau...

Thanks for those suggestions! All of them, including Capt Dan :D Perseverance Trail doesn't really appeal, I like good lines of sight to watch for bears :) Worrying about a bear encounter can ruin a day for me. I do enough "bear worrying" at home!

I will definitely try to find more information on the beach/roadside stop hike. Thanks!

I can't say I blame you. Nothing ruins a hike more than worrying about death. ;)

The roadside stop is on N Douglas Hwy. When you go over the bridge, turn right. It's a couple miles out and is on the right hand side, just before the road comes to a dead end. It's just a roadside parking lot that overlooks the water and a peninsula that sticks out. Check out Google Earth and look for the peninsula. You'll see the small parking lot. There's a trail you can walke down to the beach. Once you get around the point of the peninsula, it's very scenic.

My vote for Misty Bay Lodge. The boat has an overhang that keeps you dry if it rains. (Alaska always has rain) Captain Dan talks with other captains to help find the most wildlife. We had home made cookies, hot and cold drinks. Our group was only 4of us.

After the tour we went back to Misty Bay Lodge for the best home made Fish Chowder. Amazing tour.

My vote for Misty Bay Lodge. The boat has an overhang that keeps you dry if it rains. (Alaska always has rain) Captain Dan talks with other captains to help find the most wildlife. We had home made cookies, hot and cold drinks. Our group was only 4of us.

After the tour we went back to Misty Bay Lodge for the best home made Fish Chowder. Amazing tour.

Great to hear that. Misty Bay Lodge is who we booked with for our June cruise port stop in ISP...

No they don't go to the same areas. Many Juneau whale watches just go around Shelter Island. The faster boats do get out to the Lynn Canal.