Help choosing inside cabin on Royal

pjchow

I read the entire thread of suggestions for the balcony cabins on Royal. There was input about how the fact that there aren't any staircases in the Piazza has affected some balcony choices.

Would anyone be able to help those of us first time Royals choose an INSIDE cabin. I am happy anywhere on the ship, back-front-up-down. Right now we have Emerald deck but are willing to change.

I read the entire thread of suggestions for the balcony cabins on Royal. There was input about how the fact that there aren't any staircases in the Piazza has affected some balcony choices.

Would anyone be able to help those of us first time Royals choose an INSIDE cabin. I am happy anywhere on the ship, back-front-up-down. Right now we have Emerald deck but are willing to change.

There are stairways in the Piazza (decks 5-7) but not for decks above the Piazza which require using the elevators. Everyone has an opinion but mine is that it was an inconvenience although nothing that would affect my cabin selection. I've been on other cruise line's ships & some of those only have a fore or aft stairway/elevator and maybe is the way future ships will be built.

We have C419 booked on the Regal in a couple of months which is a "sideways" (parallel to the main hallway) double occupancy cabin. We've had quad cabins (a red circle on brochure deck plans but not on the online ones) and would never do it again with the upper bunks protruding from the side walls.

https://book.princess.com/pdf/onesource/pc/deckplans/PC_Royal_Deckplans.pdf

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=45399989&posted=1#post45399989

Edited by Astro Flyer

OP --- Astro Flyer's post reminded me that the Baja cabin I referred to in my previous post was indeed a

quad cabin. Although it wasn't an issue for us, I would suggest that you avoid booking a quad.

Inside-sideways quad cabin examples:

C316

11269841476_e89eb66685_c.jpg

11269842136_927d0e331b_c.jpg

C430

11270022433_bbf63a0e6e_c.jpg

11270022443_d115b0ba25_c.jpg

Thanks for posting Dave...I couldn't find them to add to my post. :o

No worries. Most of the pictures I post can be found in my old 'Live' thread...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1950107

But, knowing the location of them all within the thread helps me too. ;) But if I don't get around to posting them, please feel free to do so. It's nice to help people with visuals when they have questions.

Also, sometimes when I do a Search, after typing in the Keyword I also use my screen name (and a 6-month to 1 year search window) to narrow down the results.

:D

Thanks for posting Dave...I couldn't find them to add to my post. :o

But, knowing the location of them all within the thread helps me too. ;) But if I don't get around to posting them, please feel free to do so. It's nice to help people with visuals when they have questions.

Also, sometimes when I use the Search function, after typing in the Keyword I also use my screen name (and a 6-month to 1 year search field) to narrow down the results.

Also, sometimes when I use the Search function, after typing in the Keyword I also use my screen name (and a 6-month to 1 year search field) to narrow down the results.

Great pics. Looking at them, it seems to me that the quad cabin is a bit wider than a regular interior. There is a space, maybe 8 inches on either side of the bed so that the nightstand is not touching both the bed and the wall. I would think that space makes up for the fact that there are the fold down bunks. Does that make sense to anyone else?

Great pics. Looking at them, it seems to me that the quad cabin is a bit wider than a regular interior. There is a space, maybe 8 inches on either side of the bed so that the nightstand is not touching both the bed and the wall. I would think that space makes up for the fact that there are the fold down bunks. Does that make sense to anyone else?

It appears to me that, whether the cabin is a double-occupancy or quad-occupancy inside sideways cabin, they are approximately the same size. By looking at these pictures, and the placement of the nightstand, the width of the cabin looks to be identical.

C406 (Double-occupancy)

11210019424_1b3c8970a5_c.jpg

C430 (Quad-occupancy)

Edited by dmwnc1959

Yes, it does make sense, and we felt that there was a bit more space between the bed and nightstand, and the nightstand and wall. It does require a bit of a learning curve to remember that the upper bunks were there and to allow for them when walking by. Funny thing; we spent a week in an inside quad sideways cabin in October, and I must have really learned well. When we were in a standard cabin on the Ruby in January, I found myself still "ducking" when I got out of bed! This is really only an issue when the beds are in the queen configuration; no problem at all if the beds are separated into twins.

This is really only an issue when the beds are in the queen configuration; no problem at all if the beds are separated into twins.

A problem then too, because if you raise your head on the wrong side of your bed, your head can hit the bunk bed.

We just came off the Regal, her sister. Originally had C211. Unless you enjoy the theater music at night, stay away from the forward insides on Caribe deck. We moved to B322 and found that inside much better and a bit roomier.

It appears to me that, whether the cabin is a double-occupancy or quad-occupancy inside sideways cabin, they are approximately the same size. By looking at these pictures, and the placement of the nightstand, the width of the cabin looks to be identical.

C406 (Double-occupancy)

11210019424_1b3c8970a5_c.jpg

C430 (Quad-occupancy)

Hopefully that's true & not merely a narrower nightstand to create the illusion of more space. :p

There is no difference in the width of the quad and double. The problem, IMHO, is that with the quad, even if they are up, you are constantly aware they are there. When I saw it, I felt totally claustrophobic.

That being said, I LOVED my side-facing inside on the Royal! Fantastic layout, very well planned. It's like having a small apartment. I had C323, which is on Caribe and is mid-forward. Very quiet. I loved it so much, I booked the same cabin on the Regal for my b2b in October. As for stairs, this cabin is not that far from the forward stairs and forward and mid elevator, and I had absolutely no issue with the elevators or stairs. That is a total non-issue, IMHO. And I'm in my 70's with some mobility issues.

I hope that the OP chooses the side-facing inside. It's larger than other insides I've had and it's a pleasure to sail in one.

Maureen

We sincerely thank you for the link. I wonder if it is possible to ask for the approximate post # to find photos of sideways cabins.

We are searching all of the cabin ideas that have been shared. We see some sideways cabins are available on our sailing and are considering changing cabins after reading recommendations from multiple posts above.

We just came off the Regal, her sister. Originally had C211. Unless you enjoy the theater music at night, stay away from the forward insides on Caribe deck. We moved to B322 and found that inside much better and a bit roomier.

C 202 to 225 insides should be avoided due to noise from the theater.

Chesie - in another posting you said that you were initially in B211, now you are saying C211. Did you make an error in the other posting or in this one?

Edited by RDC1

Sideways on the Lido deck. :D

I will once again disagree with Janetz, respectfully! :D

I agree with the posters that recommend the sideways interior cabins on the Grand Class, as I have seen them on numerous cabin crawls. I can tell you from personal experience on the Royal in L208 that this is not the same extra large cabin enjoyed on the Ruby, Emerald, and Caribbean Princess. This Royal sideways cabin has several obstacles to overcome including very limited traffic spaces between the closets and bathrooms. If you want to get into the safe, clear the area because no one is coming through!

Secondly, the top desk drawer the hairdryer is in makes it nearly impossible to open the cabin door if someone is blow drying their hair. I nearly took the drawer off its rollers opening the cabin drawer while my wife as drying her hair. Third, the television is affixed to the wall and does not swivel which is not a real big deal, however it aligns for optimal viewing for only the first person in the bed closer to the door. Lastly, the closet space is diminished a bit and the amount of clothes one may hang is limited. Also, you get a little bit of early morning and late evening noise from the deck chairs above you at the retreat pool in the front of the ship.

Now these are not huge deals, but if I had it to do over again, personally I would not book a Lido Deck sideways interior cabin on the Royal, but would on the Ruby, Emerald or Caribbean Princess, just my opinion.

Cheers!

Ken

Check out a previous thread below:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=42593989

We sincerely thank you for the link. I wonder if it is possible to ask for the approximate post # to find photos of sideways cabins.

We are searching all of the cabin ideas that have been shared. We see some sideways cabins are available on our sailing and are considering changing cabins after reading recommendations from multiple posts above.

The only pictures that I took of sideways inside cabins are the ones (that have been re-posted from my 'Live' thread) in post #6 above (two Quad cabin staterooms - C316, C430) and my stateroom C406 (also linked in Post #4). For the exact post number in the linked 'Live' thread: #461.

While all of this was nice, the OP is specifically asking about the Royal Princess, as in Janetz recommendation, and not for comparisons/recommendations to a Grand-class, which might be nice to know down the road if they decide to cruise on those ships.

;)

I will once again disagree with Janetz, respectfully! :D

I agree with the posters that recommend the sideways interior cabins on the Grand Class, as I have seen them on numerous cabin crawls. I can tell you from personal experience on the Royal in L208 that this is not the same extra large cabin enjoyed on the Ruby, Emerald, and Caribbean Princess. This Royal sideways cabin has several obstacles to overcome including very limited traffic spaces between the closets and bathrooms. If you want to get into the safe, clear the area because no one is coming through!

Secondly, the top desk drawer the hairdryer is in makes it nearly impossible to open the cabin door if someone is blow drying their hair. I nearly took the drawer off its rollers opening the cabin drawer while my wife as drying her hair. Third, the television is affixed to the wall and does not swivel which is not a real big deal, however it aligns for optimal viewing for only the first person in the bed closer to the door. Lastly, the closet space is diminished a bit and the amount of clothes one may hang is limited. Also, you get a little bit of early morning and late evening noise from the deck chairs above you at the retreat pool in the front of the ship.

Now these are not huge deals, but if I had it to do over again, personally I would not book a Lido Deck sideways interior cabin on the Royal, but would on the Ruby, Emerald or Caribbean Princess, just my opinion.

Cheers!

Ken

Check out a previous thread below:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=42593989

C 202 to 225 insides should be avoided due to noise from the theater

Chesie - in another posting you said that you were initially in B211, now you are saying C211. Did you make an error in the other posting or in this one?

Nice catch. Here is a link to that original thread by Chesie...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=45481055#post45481055

As well as a link to yours...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2152868