Norwegian app question

Catniss87

Hey everyone was wondering how the app work does it use data or can it be used with being charged at all ?? Thanks

Once you join the ship's wifi, you can use the app to see what's happening around the ship (like an improved daily), book shows, excursions, spa things, and specialty restaurants, look at menus, look at your bill, and several other things. All of this is free. For $7.95 (one time fee per trip per device), you can also use the app to make calls and send texts to others who have the app and paid the $7.95.

Once you join the ship's wifi, you can use the app to see what's happening around the ship (like an improved daily), book shows, excursions, spa things, and specialty restaurants, look at menus, look at your bill, and several other things. All of this is free. For $7.95 (one time fee per trip per device), you can also use the app to make calls and send texts to others who have the app and paid the $7.95.

Ugh - the primary reason for taking a cruise is so that I can get away from phones, texting, and messages from others. Phone goes in the safe as soon as we are in international waters and doesn't come out until we're back. Guess I'm a luddite when it comes to my cruises.

Just to clarify, in case there is any confusion, the calls and messages you can send if you pay the fee are to others on the ship. You can't send or receive calls back home using the app.

It can be very handy, especially on the bigger ships, with keeping in touch with your family (letting people know when to meet for meals etc). People who know others on boards, but aren't in the same cabin can also make arrangements to meet up using it.

Edited by KeithJenner

It can be very handy, especially on the bigger ships, with keeping in touch with your family (letting people know when to meet for meals etc). People who know others on boards, but aren't in the same cabin can also make arrangements to meet up using it.

Agree-- VERY HANDY. My husband and I were in a different stateroom, and floor, than my son and the friend we let him take along. They did way more activities than us, so being in touch thru text was awesome -- we could meet up for meals easily, or join them at any given moment to do something. We also really enjoyed being able to look up the restaurant menus, and my son relied totally on his for the list/times of daily activities (as opposed to the paper Daily).

I did NOT find it distracting because obviously, I couldn't text all the people I do when at home (thankfully, lol). Yet it was well worth the $7.95 -- I just felt "more secure", because yes, this was a huge ship!

AND it wasn't like I had an extra something to carry around this cruise, because INSTEAD of carrying my usual digital camera everywhere, I took my phone, and still could capture pictures and videos. I loved it!!!

You just have to remember to install the app BEFORE you board. Then one trip to the iConcierge desk (always open, located in the Atrium) after you board, where they will assign you a "phone number" and demonstrate how to use the app if you want.

Edited by dales wife

You just have to remember to install the app BEFORE you board. Then one trip to the iConcierge desk (always open, located in the Atrium) after you board, where they will assign you a "number" and demonstrate how to use the app if you want.

You can activate the voice/text functionality just as well without visiting anywhere - the system assigns the numbers automatically. But yes, if you do need instructions for anything, then a visit is a good idea. :)

You can activate the voice/text functionality just as well without visiting anywhere - the system assigns the numbers automatically. But yes, if you do need instructions for anything, then a visit is a good idea. :)

Thanks, I didn't realize that! Good to know for next time. :)

For clarification, if three are sharing a room does activation require $7.95 for each of the three phones?

Hi and welcome to CC!

Yes, as thatjoeguy stated in post #3, the activation fee is "one time fee per trip per device".

Just to clarify, in case there is any confusion, the calls and messages you can send if you pay the fee are to others on the ship. You can't send or receive calls back home using the app.

Is this something that could be utilized while in port? Say ship to pier or vice versa? I would not expect operation during excursions. Just curious. Thanks.

Is this something that could be utilized while in port? Say ship to pier or vice versa? I would not expect operation during excursions. Just curious. Thanks.

As far as the ship's WiFi network has coverage. Maybe close to the ship but not very much further.

We got alerts from the app when we were on shore (with normal internet) but couldn't see the actual messages until we were back in Wifi.

• 3 weeks later...

As per below, I believe you can now make and receive calls from home, for a nominal fee...

You can access on-demand information and real-time services, including:

Shore Excursions Previews and Bookings

Restaurant Information with Menus and Bookings

Folio Review

General Information, such as Onboard Services, Spa Services, and Shopping

Daily Activities Highlights

Cruise Rewards Information

Messenger/Phone Features with Other Guests during your cruise (Nominal One-Time Fee During Cruise)

Phone Calling with Family and Friends Back Home (Nominal Per Minute Fee During Cruise)

As per below, I believe you can now make and receive calls from home, for a nominal fee...

Messenger/Phone Features with Other Guests during your cruise (Nominal One-Time Fee During Cruise)

Phone Calling with Family and Friends Back Home (Nominal Per Minute Fee During Cruise)

According to those on the GA (should be true for BA) most recently, calling from ship to land is 79 cents a minute, plus a one-time seutp fee per device of $7.95 billed to stateroom's account. However, 2 users who signed up to use reported they're unable to connect & make the calls (got charged for 1 minute each time they dialed ...)

Calls from the stateroom to shore/landline was $4.99 per minute last summer on the BA.

Link to the (most) current iConcierge APP is in this link also. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=45754378#post45754378

The other APP features are FREE and available after one-time free registration to activate and no other charges; it was very functional and useful to us in 2014 - will be using it again in about 3 weeks.

We were on the Epic last year and paid for the app on all of our phones. Here is the deal....it only worked in some areas. The wifi did not have good service throughout the ship. It was fantastic when it worked to keep up with the kids.

Does anyone know if the wifi was improved on the EPIC. We leave in 2 weeks and would purchase again if the wifi was better.