Running Track and Fitness Classes on Quantum

Hi All,

We will be going on our first cruise in May on Quantum. We want to stay active at sea. Wondering if anyone knows the distance of the running track.

Also, I know they have fitness classes on board but I heard that many of them charge a fee. Is the fee substantial? Are the free classes high quality?

Thanks for your time!

Hi All,

We will be going on our first cruise in May on Quantum. We want to stay active at sea. Wondering if anyone knows the distance of the running track.

Also, I know they have fitness classes on board but I heard that many of them charge a fee. Is the fee substantial? Are the free classes high quality?

Thanks for your time!

DSC02867_zps4fcf4b0b.jpg

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2137643&page=2

Pictures of the gym on post #25. If I remember right, I think spin was $12. I can't remember what TRX cost was, but I assume the same

Have a great cruise! :D

Hoopster, thanks for the photo of the "mileage" chart for the track. I'm used to the much smaller walking/jogging track on Celebrity's S-class ships, where it's 8 laps to the mile. I usually forget how many laps I've done by around lap 5 or so, and just base my workout on time. But with a bigger track, maybe I can really count! :) (We'll be on the Anthem TA.)

Reports from the early sailings of the Quantum said people waiting on line for Northstar were clogging the track. Is this still a problem?

The TRX was $24 pp. If you're not an experienced TRXer you might want to think twice about taking this course. We mistakenly assumed it was an introductory course and took it out of curiosity. Although we are well conditioned gym rats we found muscles we didn't know we had:)

Thanks for your replies :)

And Hoopster, thanks for the link to the photo review . . . I very much look forward to reviewing.

When you say the cost for the spin/TRX, are these amounts per class?

The TRX was per class which was about 1/2 hour to an hour as I recall.

Thanks for your replies :)

And Hoopster, thanks for the link to the photo review . . . I very much look forward to reviewing.

When you say the cost for the spin/TRX, are these amounts per class?

I'm pretty sure spin is per class (someone please correct me if I'm mistaken, and this is the way it is on every ship... per class). I didn't know the TRX was so expensive... thank you Jimmers. Gotta love finding muscles you never knew you had! LOL :eek::p

Hoopster, just finished your review. Fantastic. So happy to get some positive feedback. I am glad to head you were on the trapeze. I was starting to worry it was just for kids.

Also, are you allowed to do flips on the iFly?

The TRX is super expensive. Are we allowed to use that equipment without taking the class?

Thanks again.

Hoopster, just finished your review. Fantastic. So happy to get some positive feedback. I am glad to head you were on the trapeze. I was starting to worry it was just for kids.

Also, are you allowed to do flips on the iFly?

The TRX is super expensive. Are we allowed to use that equipment without taking the class?

Thanks again.

I saw some people doing flips on the IFLY but they weren't intentional:). The TRX equipment is just for the class and fwiw, the $24 cost of the class includes the automatic 18% gratuity.

Thanks Jimmers.

You were not a fan of the TRX class?

It wasn't so much that as it being the first time we had ever done TRX. Like I said in my first post we assumed it was an introductory class and thought it would be a great opportunity to try it out.

We had about 7 in the class and only one or two had any prior experience with TRX. I think the instructor tried to tone it down a bit but with a mixed class there wasn't too much she could do. One person dropped out about half way thru the routine. We stayed to the end but it was really tough and we were quite sore for a couple or days.

No doubt that if we knew what we were doing and used the proper form it wouldn't have been near as hard. TRX is a great exercise system and it's amazing all the different things you can do with simply two cables hanging from the ceiling.

Edited by Jimmers

Hoopster, thanks for the photo of the "mileage" chart for the track. I'm used to the much smaller walking/jogging track on Celebrity's S-class ships, where it's 8 laps to the mile. I usually forget how many laps I've done by around lap 5 or so, and just base my workout on time. But with a bigger track, maybe I can really count! :) (We'll be on the Anthem TA.)

Reports from the early sailings of the Quantum said people waiting on line for Northstar were clogging the track. Is this still a problem?

If you are an early morning runner(before 9) there will will not be an issue, if you like to run in the heat of he day the staff have cordoned the waiting area for the north star off to the edge of the track but can still get in the way at these times

FYI still lose track of laps

If you are an early morning runner(before 9) there will will not be an issue, if you like to run in the heat of he day the staff have cordoned the waiting area for the north star off to the edge of the track but can still get in the way at these times

Thank you Rob. I'm a very early morning walker, so hopefully I won't have any problems. As for "heat of the day," the Anthem TA on which we are booked is a late fall north Atlantic crossing (Southampton to Cape Liberty, NJ), so I am hoping we actually have some "heat of the day." :)

I saw some people doing flips on the IFLY but they weren't intentional:). The TRX equipment is just for the class and fwiw, the $24 cost of the class includes the automatic 18% gratuity.

I was one of them. One of the key instructions is to keep your chin up, I made the mistake of looking down and wound up doing flips. Our instructor, Michael, was so good that he maneuvered us as though we were toothpicks. At the end, it was amazing what he was could do--summersaulting, walking up/down the tube, etc. Longest minute of my life. The wind speed is somewhere in the 165-180mph. I felt as though my cheeks were in my eyes. It took some 2 days to get rid of the indentation from the safety goggles. Also, try the North Star and the bump cars.

The track on deck 15 is one of the longest of any of the RCL's ships. Don't ask me why, but on the 6th day of our cruise, the maintenance crew began painting arrows and distance markers pointing in a clockwise vs. counter clock wise as all of the RCL's ships. So runners/walkers were going in different directions. Maybe it's for the Chinese market.

• 3 weeks later...

I was one of those that was summersaulting as I looked down for a second and did not listen to my instructor--his words were keep your chin up--always.

I usually time my first couple of laps to get an average and at the end I know how many laps doing/done. Noticed on the 2/2 Quantum voyage on the 3rd day they were placing arrows and mileage markers as done on Oasis and Allure. Also changed the track from a normal counter clock to counter clock. Why, maybe the Chinese market.

Hi,

I know it is a little off topic, but wondering if they have a zip line on the quantum.

I know they have them on the Oasis/Allure. Not sure if this is missing off this ship or if there is so much new stuff that it just has not been mentioned.

Thanks

Hi,

I know it is a little off topic, but wondering if they have a zip line on the quantum.

I know they have them on the Oasis/Allure. Not sure if this is missing off this ship or if there is so much new stuff that it just has not been mentioned.

Thanks

Haven't been on Quantum class ship yet, but I know there isn't zip line.

I'm cruising with Anthem on July and planning on attending fitness classes every day. I have heard there is Flywheel indoor cycling, Boot Camp, TRX and the usual complimentary classes like stretching, body conditioning and abs. I read from the compass that there is some kind of fitness classes held also at the Music Hall. I would be very interested of hearing about those if anyone has participated....

Any Zumba on board?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=45107747&highlight=zumba#post45107747

Deandra, a fellow cruiser and trained Zumba instructor, asked RCL to teach Zumba classes long before boarding. I am not sure of the process but she was given clearance to do so and was added to the Compass throughout the cruise. Zumba was held in the Music Hall. This was December, so I have no clue if it is a regular class now