Alaska Solstice w/11y and 16y question

vacationmommy

I was looking at the Celebrity Solstice for a trip to Alaska in Aug 2016 we are deciding between this line and Norwegian. My question is we will have both of our kids who at the time will be 11 and 16 has anyone done this cruise with kids and if so how did they like the cruise? I want to be sure they will enjoy the cruise as we will they love to go off and make friends and club things but I have not been able to find too much on the kids clubs as of yet so any input would be helpful. Thank you

We did Celebrity Alaska on the Mercury in 2007 when my kids were 9 and 11. They loved it. They do a lot of fun activities in the kids clubs and my two jumped right in. Brent Nixon's nature lectures were a highlight for my son. Kids loved the Glaciers, the wild life, the Skagway train ride and other Alaska things like whale watching. Did the lumber jack show in Ketchikan, very cute!

We also did a Trans Atlantic on the Solstice in 2010. My son loved the Hot Glass Show and the beautiful ship.

On every Celebrity cruise we have taken we the kids have loved the dining experience in the MDR, the shows and the wonderful crew members who spoil them a little.

I think the Celebrity does a nice job with the kids and with limited numbers of triples and quads on a Celebrity ship, there is never too many kids for the experience to be overwhelming.

My now 28 year old son has cruised with us on Celebrity more than 20 times, beginning when he was 6 years old. He always had a good time and loves Celebrity. Would he have rather been on RCI with more "fun" things to do? Yes, I think it would be fair to say that. But did he have a good time? Absolutely.

We did Same cruise last summer with our 2 girls. They loved it. There were a couple 100 kids on board so each group had plenty of kids participating.

We did a RCI cruise this summer on Navigator. We loved the ice skating and flow rider, but they actually liked the Celebrity program better and thus we are going back this summer on Summit.

There will be a couple hundred kids. Did Celebrity AK last summer with 14, 16 and 21 (the "Adult"). Saw them in the morning and at dinner plus when we all went ashore. Mostly port days and lots of activities. A bit to active for the grandparent - me. Parents also fine.

We did Alaska when our DSs were 7 and 9yrs, not on X but on Radiance. It was a Royal ship, but one of the smaller ones so no iceskating or flow riders, and they had an absolutely fantastic time. The itinerary is the most important consideration as you spend most of you time ashore exploring. Get them to help with the excursion planning, involving them will make it all the more special ;). There are so many wonderful things to experience: dog mushing, whale watching, bear hunts, the glaciers, gold panning - it just goes on and on.

There will be fewer kids in the clubs than on some of the Caribbean itineraries, and they may even join some of the age group together (as they did on our Connie Baltic cruise), but our kids love the X clubs :). They'd both relish a return visit to Alaska ;).

I'm sure you'll have a brilliant time. I always say: Alaska is more about the wildlife, Norway's Fjords are palpable and New Zealand's Sounds are panoramic - all similar, yet so different - and that's a round the world view from a Brit :p.

• 1 month later...

We are going Aug 7th with our 12 year old daughter and 16 year old son so if that is when you are going, instant friends! All ships have kids on them over the summer (some more than others) so you should be fine! Let me know if you happen to going on the Aug 7th sailing. That would be great!