Will RCCL move folks to accomodate family?

TrinaLC

They just will not move someone without their permission. They would have to contact that person T/A and ask them if they would move. If they booked it on their own Royal Caribbean would have to call and ask them if they would be willing to move. Most people would move if they are offered something

That is almost always true, with one notable exception. If someone is booked into a connecting cabin, but does not have a "related" booking next door (people or family they are travelling with), then RCI has the option to move them, without compensation, to any available cabin in their original category (or better, though that's not required). Let me be clear that RCI is not required to move them to accomodate a booking request (such as the connecting OS/JS mentioned above). It is solely at RCI's discretion.

The real problem with this, at least for us, is that they can put you in any location on any deck as long as the cabin is at least in the same category. That's one reason we never book a connecting cabin unless we are travelling with family or friends who book the one connected to it.

The rule is in the "small print" listings of all the stuff RCI tells pax about in the brochures, etc.

Edited: Oops, just remembered another exception. They can move a party of 1 or 2 out of a cabin that's listed as holding 3/4 if they want to accomodate a party of 3 or 4 (and there are no more 3/4 cabins in that category available). Again, all they have to do is move you to a cabin in the same category, with no additional compensation.

beachchick

I think it will be difficult for the people in between, but I wouldn't expect them to move. Why can't you find two cabins that are adjoining somewhere else on the ship? It seems that it is unfair to expect 1- RCCL to ask people to move 2-For you to think someone should move. It would seem easier for you to move as you are the ones with the problem. I know that sounds harsh and I don't mean it to be, but either way the people in the middle will be inconvenienced unless you move.JMHO.

Katie

If you read my post, you will see that I didn't assume that someone *should* move, I was asking for opinions as to whether someone was likely to be upset if switched between 2 identical next door cabins. Based on the responses, I concluded that at most I would ask RCCL to inquire if someone would be *willing* to switch.

BTW, I see no reason why it would be "unfair" of me to ask RCCL. It is a simple request, and one they are perfectly within their rights to decline.

Finally, I don't see how you can conclude that the people in the middle will be inconvenienced unless we move both bookings. Are you implying that we would somehow be rude to them? What on earth would lead you to believe that?

PS - We booked these almost a year in advance; even at that early date there were no 2 aft cabins together.

PS - We booked these almost a year in advance; even at that early date there were no 2 aft cabins together.

Don't take this wrong...I do NOT mean it ugly at all!....but if you booked almost a year in advance then you knew what you were booking. If having adjoining cabins was important to you, then you should have found two that were adjoining when you booked. You also should have waitlisted for the one you wanted. That way if whoever was booked cancelled then you would have first choice at it. I don't know when you are cruising so if final payment has not been made, then I would still ask to be put on the waitlist for the cabin you want in case the people cancel when final payment is due. And...as I said before....I see no problem in you making the request to RC or even them making the request to the pax...I just don't think they will do it (since they aren't really known for good land-based customer service....unfortunately!!!!!) Good luck!

Don't take this wrong...I do NOT mean it ugly at all!....but if you booked almost a year in advance then you knew what you were booking. If having adjoining cabins was important to you, then you should have found two that were adjoining when you booked.

Having 2 aft was more important than 2 adjoining elsewhere. We are satisifed with what we have; it would be better to be adjoining and if RCCL will ask and someone will accomodate, great, if not, perfectly fine.

But good suggestion on waitlist, I'll do that and hope for the best.

Trina,

I think you have misunderstood my post. I did NOT think you were going to be rude to the passengers in the middle. I meant that as you said, the children will probably be going from their room to yours, and if they decide to try to talk to you from their balcony to yours, it might be an inconvenience to the people in the middle. As far as the other way they might be inconvenienced, is to be moved to another cabin.

The reason I felt it was an unfair request on your part is that it appears to me, that you feel your need for the room is more important than the couple/family who is already in there. I see by your post that you booked this over a year ago, and I would guess the others did too. I understand that the rooms are identical, but I wouldn't want someone asking me to change rooms. I could be wrong, but if that room was booked before yours, the other people could have had either room that you have and chose not to.

I truly am not trying to give you a bad time. I was just voicing my opinion in answer to your question. I thought that was why you asked it.

Katie

I would also like to know which cabins you are talking about. There are no adjoining aft (stern) cabines on the Enchantment of the seas. Also the middle balconies are not the same size as the balconies adjacent to them on Decks 7 and 8 that have the JS cabins.

I am assuming she wants to swap one JS for the other JS on the Enchantment. I am also assuming that by saying she wants adjoining rooms she means side by side since their aren't any rooms adjoined by a connecting door on the Enchantment. In that case, I'd ask RC to enquire about a room swap. If the person you speak to is unwilling to make the call, I wouldn't spend too much time trying to get the rooms switched. Since they don't have a connecting door, I don't know that it makes enough of a difference to spend too much time over.

The reason I felt it was an unfair request on your part is that it appears to me, that you feel your need for the room is more important than the couple/family who is already in there. I see by your post that you booked this over a year ago, and I would guess the others did too. I understand that the rooms are identical, but I wouldn't want someone asking me to change rooms. I could be wrong, but if that room was booked before yours, the other people could have had either room that you have and chose not to.

Not to be defensive, but what did I say that would lead you to think that I felt my need was more important? Whether we switch or not is not a big deal to us - doesn't even rise to the level of a 'need'. If the other occupants don't care and want to switch, great; if they do care and don't, fine as well. (I can understand why someone might not want to - maybe it was the room they had on the last cruise, or is accross from children in an IS, or whatever.) But it can't hurt to see if NCL would pass on a request ...

(Again, the rooms are identical, and it is quite possible that they won't care at all, or would even prefer, as you suggest, not to be a middle cabin between others - though I can assure you there will be no yelling between balconies or running between cabins! I have teens and they are far to blase for that!)

I've actually had this happen to me once on an airplane. I hate flying in a aisle seat so I go to the airport hourse before my flight just to make sure I'm one of the first in like so that I can request a window or at least a seat in the middle. At one flight a woman asked me if I would switch seats with her husband. They were sitting next to each other but there was an aisle between them. So I said no because switching would mean that I would get an aisle seat. They made very sure I could not enjoy my flight. Luckly this was only a one hour flight. My thought were if I could get to the airport in time for a good seat so could they. Just gambled and lost. Not my problem but they made it my problem.

Ironically, most people stuck in middle seats would kill for an aisle, so you could have just switched & offered your seat to the person sitting next to you. If that were me, I'd have kissed you!:D

Archived