Early Savers Dining

Malefage

Hi there, At the moment we still haven't booked the cruise we want as we,re not happy with the Early Saver option of not having choices nor are we prepared to pay the select price. We travel as 2 couple and always put it on the one booking but I have been advised by P and O that this will not guarantee us getting the same dining option as it will be looked at as 2 cabins so therefore separate bookings. , On the Caribbean cruise we were on in December we met people who had paid half what we paid and like us were in balcony cabins. I think P and O need to come up with a fairer price structure and to ask customers to pay £600 per couple for the privilege of choosing a cabin and dining option is an absolute rip off !

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Would you be happy with late sitting? Problem solved.

We went on a late saver fare on Aurora last year. Previously we had always gone select. We were allocated 2nd sitting on a table of 6. The first night there were only 4 of us and the rest of the time just the two as the other two had moved to first sitting. We had a great time.The service was brilliant and we changed our routine so that we could have pre dinner drinks and pre-pre dinner drinks! 2nd sitting had some real benefits, we saw more of the sailaways and enjoyed not rushing around for dinner.Always worth trying something new!

Hi there, At the moment we still haven't booked the cruise we want as we,re not happy with the Early Saver option of not having choices nor are we prepared to pay the select price. We travel as 2 couple and always put it on the one booking but I have been advised by P and O that this will not guarantee us getting the same dining option as it will be looked at as 2 cabins so therefore separate bookings. , On the Caribbean cruise we were on in December we met people who had paid half what we paid and like us were in balcony cabins. I think P and O need to come up with a fairer price structure and to ask customers to pay £600 per couple for the privilege of choosing a cabin and dining option is an absolute rip off !

I find this "two bookings" concept a strange way of looking at a single contracted booking paid with a single payment. In theory a couple travelling with their two children aged say 13 and 17 who decide that they need the space of two cabins and the only correct way to billet them is dad with 17 year old and mum with 13 year old could be allocated different tables and or sittings.

A booking dealt with in the aforementioned way sounds extremely odd.

Regards John

And if the only fares offered were at saver rates ,you would very shortly afterwards not have a P and O to cruise with at all.

If you do not want to pay select prices, then don't. However saver fares is a case of slotting you in where they have spaces.

I find it rather a strange idea that people go on holiday, then discuss with all and sundry how much they did or didn't pay.

If I am asked directly I always just say I don't remember, then talk about something else.

As we pay select we know there will be people on board who will have paid less than us. However for our upcoming cruise the grade we wanted has now sold out. Has only just gone to early saver fares, so if we had stamped our feet and said we are not paying select fare prices, then we would not be going on a cruise at all.

It also depends so much on the cruise. We are on Adonia in April, prices have never been as low as the Select Fare we paid. Now all cabins are sold out except Balcony cabins. So you pays your money at a price you are happy with and get the extras that go with it.

Fully agree with the comments regarding dining option. Booked a short break for March with no ability to state a dining preference. End result was that my main cruise for later in the year was not with P and O. Lost business for P and O as a result of something so simple to solve. Just give those who book a saver option the ability to give a dining preference.

As I understand it , anyone booking early saver fares can state their preferred dining option - there is just no guarantee you will get it.

We may introduce an Early Saver price on selected cruises, these are designed for those who want great prices, without all the benefits of the Select Price.

- Early Saver bookings are made at the relevant grade and a cabin number is allocated by P&O Cruises prior to departure

- Dining preferences are not guaranteed (preferences collected prior to boarding and confirmed on boarding)

- Shuttle buses in ports are an additional cost

- Second priority for upgrades (where available)

These terms and conditions vary, where relevant, the applicable booking conditions, which are otherwise unchanged.

Edited by Mysticalmother

Fully agree with the comments regarding dining option. Booked a short break for March with no ability to state a dining preference. End result was that my main cruise for later in the year was not with P and O. Lost business for P and O as a result of something so simple to solve. Just give those who book a saver option the ability to give a dining preference.

Yeah! Why don't P&O give you a chance to select Dining Option? They could call it a Select Option to avoid confusion.

As a saver fare is not able to specify a preference, then you have a 50:50 chance of getting what you want on fixed dining or a 1in 3 chance if there is also Freedom dining.

As a result you have half of the passengers unhappy or the restaurant managers on board have to spend more time sorting it out. Either way it does not seem like a good policy as there is no cost involved in stating a preference.

I realise you may not get what you want if your preference is fully booked but I can accept this and this is one risk you take by booking late.

Brian

Of course they don't have half the passengers unhappy. There are a large number of people who book Select fares. It comes down to pay for what you want or take your chances. You do of course have the option to try and change what you are given by way of the Restaurant Manager or finding someone who would swap but if you want to guarantee your choice then choose Select fare. If you aren't so bothered about the choice then there is the Saver fare option. The choices are clear and how anyone can winge amazes me.

Of course they don't have half the passengers unhappy. There are a large number of people who book Select fares. It comes down to pay for what you want or take your chances. You do of course have the option to try and change what you are given by way of the Restaurant Manager or finding someone who would swap but if you want to guarantee your choice then choose Select fare. If you aren't so bothered about the choice then there is the Saver fare option. The choices are clear and how anyone can winge amazes me.

Here here!

I think we should ask CC to ban any whinging threads about (lack of) dining choices when purchasing a saver fare!:D

As a saver fare is not able to specify a preference, then you have a 50:50 chance of getting what you want on fixed dining or a 1in 3 chance if there is also Freedom dining.

As a result you have half of the passengers unhappy or the restaurant managers on board have to spend more time sorting it out. Either way it does not seem like a good policy as there is no cost involved in stating a preference.

I realise you may not get what you want if your preference is fully booked but I can accept this and this is one risk you take by booking late.

Brian

T's & C's

Most expensive = Select fare - choose your dining time

Cheap(er) = Early saver fare - express your preference - but not guaranteed

Cheapest = Saver fare - take whats left and hope for the best.

Simples!

Here here!

I think we should ask CC to ban any whinging threads about (lack of) dining choices when purchasing a saver fare!:D

HaHa. It seems to me that its a British trait to winge nowadays but on this particular subject I just don't understand where people are coming from.

Its like going into a bar and being offered 2 for 1 cocktails if you get two the same. You order two different ones and moan because you don't get them at half price. The deal is you get a lower price if you are not bothered about dining option or cabin choice.

Really struggling to see why its unreasonable to not be allowed to state your preference at the time of booking a saver fare. Fully understand that you may be at the bottom of the list when the allocation is made but not to be able to give a preference is silly and will cause a lot of pointless work for the restaurant manager.

These are not whinges but helpful advice should pando chose to listern. Its called customer feedback.

HaHa. It seems to me that its a British trait to winge nowadays but on this particular subject I just don't understand where people are coming from.

Its like going into a bar and being offered 2 for 1 cocktails if you get two the same. You order two different ones and moan because you don't get them at half price. The deal is you get a lower price if you are not bothered about dining option or cabin choice.

Perhaps you should look at it from a different angle.

The premium that P&O charge to be able to secure a dining time is excessive and is simply a method to extort more money from their passengers.

I'm on Britannia in May but will not be cruising with P&O again for this reason.

Perhaps you should look at it from a different angle.

The premium that P&O charge to be able to secure a dining time is excessive and is simply a method to extort more money from their passengers.

I'm on Britannia in May but will not be cruising with P&O again for this reason.

With the money saved on booking a Saver Fare one could dine in the Speciality Restaurants every night, at the time wished. But you have decided not to cruise again with P&O.

Therefore, on behalf of all those who are happy to pay for a vacation, exactly how they wish to take it, may one say bye

Many many moons ago when this fare structure came out to replace the ill fated vantage fare etc... I said then that people would pay the cheaper price and moan that choices were not included.

Please all refrain from saying select fares are inflated, they are not. They may be more than you are willing to pay, but obviously those who book them do not think they are.

I am sure those that are saying they are going to other lines will complain about something else about that line they do not like. Maybe the grats that are a lot more than p and o.

If they asked saver fares for their pref. at the time of booking, are you all going to tell me that when you don't get your choices because there is not space on the sitting you want, you will not come back on here moaning....Well I told them I want 1st when I booked, and they have put me on 2nd boo hoo.

The number of people who came on here when savers first appeared who said I am just happy to be going on a cruise..don't mind where my cabin is or what sitting I am...

Except that people do want their cake and eat it. They want cheap fare and their dining pref.

With the money saved on booking a Saver Fare one could dine in the Speciality Restaurants every night, at the time wished. But you have decided not to cruise again with P&O.

Therefore, on behalf of all those who are happy to pay for a vacation, exactly how they wish to take it, may one say bye

Very true.

At one point my last cruise was £2000 per person cheaper on Saver fair, so £4000 for the pair of us.

With the money saved on booking a Saver Fare one could dine in the Speciality Restaurants every night, at the time wished.

That's exactly what we now do - on our recent cruise, dined 7 times in Marco Pierre White, 4 times in Sorrento and 3 times in buffet. Still saved money!

However, there has been the occasional moan from those who paid full fare and requested a large table, then found it deserted. To those who we abandoned, sincere apologies, but you had a lucky escape:D.

The dining option is only a small part of the premium charged. You get choice of cabin with possible upgrade, OBC or equivalent, shuttle bus, flexibility for changes and 15% deposit as opposed to full payment on booking.

Will you be giving up on cruising or which line are you thinking of booking with in the future?

David.

The dining option is only a small part of the premium charged. You get choice of cabin with possible upgrade, OBC or equivalent, shuttle bus, flexibility for changes and 15% deposit as opposed to full payment on booking.

Will you be giving up on cruising or which line are you thinking of booking with in the future?

David.

Yes I know, but lets evaluate if the £4000 was worth it:

Choice of cabin - yes we chose, upgrade very unlikely as only one grade above us and they were all sold at time of booking.

OBC - yep, a whopping £70 per person for a 24 night cruise.

Shuttle bus - there weren't any.

Flexibility for changes - not available of right as booked within 90 days of departure.

Deposit - full payment on booking as within 90 days of departure.

The ONLY reason I pay full fair is to guarantee dining time. It would be easier to 'swallow' I guess if they would guarantee the table choice too but they don't. So, dining in the MRD was also somewhat tarnished on my last cruise.

I haven't decided who else to go with yet. If any.

I have never been charged extra to dine at a specific time at any hotel or restaurant. P&O never used to either.

The ONLY reason I pay full fair is to guarantee dining time. It would be easier to 'swallow' I guess if they would guarantee the table choice too but they don't. So, dining in the MRD was also somewhat tarnished on my last cruise.

I have never been charged extra to dine at a specific time at any hotel or restaurant. P&O never used to either.

P&O didn't that's true but then it was one single price. And if the difference was 4k there is no way I would choose the premium fare. The secret as we know is to have aword with the MD as soon as possible on embarking. Never failed with us on many cruises. And also check where your allocated table is and very likely he will change that for you if you don't like it.

Our problem with table is usually not the position but the other diners sitting at it.

David.

Choice of cabin - yes we chose, upgrade very unlikely as only one grade above us and they were all sold at time of booking.

OBC - yep, a whopping £70 per person for a 24 night cruise.

Shuttle bus - there weren't any.

Flexibility for changes - not available of right as booked within 90 days of departure.

Deposit - full payment on booking as within 90 days of departure.

Thats very well put. I am not sure why people cannot accept supply and demand. If a cruise is popular the fare stays level or increases, if not then it reduces. Instead P&O want to punish those not prepared to pay the Select fare by removing options making them feel like second class cruisers.

The theory is that by doing that then Select passengers wont feel agrieved if they find a saver passenger has paid less since the select passsenger can feel smug that they had a choice of cabin and dining (something no cruise line outside of the Carnival group includes as standard).

How will select fare passengers on our cruise in March feel if they find out we got £640 per cabin OBC with our select fare when they got £140 per cabin when they booked a select fare earlier than we did. Will that not make them agrieved too meaning we are back to square one?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk