138 East Boston hotwire deals

edawn

Hi,

We are doing the Dawn repo cruise that leaves Boston on 10/30/15 and need a hotel for two nights pre-cruise.There are just the two of us and we can handle dragging luggage around. There is a three star hotel, 95% approval in the Medford Somerville area for $99/night. Do you have an idea what hotel this might be? I know it's not down town but those rates for downtown Boston are making me light headed. Would we be able to use public transit to get down town? We are flying in and really don't want to rent a car. Any info you can share would be great. I've been reading and reading but I seem to be getting more confused.

Thanks!

I'm not 138East (I don't even play her on TV), but I do live in Boston.

Medford/Somerville is underserved by the T, it has mostly bus service, which is a PITA, as you will likely have to transfer to/from the rapid lines if you want to go downtown. I'd look elsewhere.

My best guess would be that the hotel is the Hyatt Place in Medford. I'm not familiar with the hotel, but from their web site it looks like they do not offer any shuttle services. According to the MBTA trip planner, you would walk two minutes to the bus stop, take the 101 bus to Malden Center and the Orange line to downtown Boston. This would take 35-45 minutes.

What is your hotel budget? If you're on a tight budget, I'd look at the best Western Adams in Quincy or the Holiday Inn Express in Dorchester because of their airport and Cruiseport shuttles.

Edited by 138east

What is your hotel budget? If you're on a tight budget, I'd look at the best Western Adams in Quincy or the Holiday Inn Express in Dorchester because of their airport and Cruiseport shuttles.

I hadn't really set a budget. I was being cheap. I have sticker shock after seeing the charges for Boston hotels. I will check out the two you recommend. Thank you!

I'm not 138East (I don't even play her on TV), but I do live in Boston.

Medford/Somerville is underserved by the T, it has mostly bus service, which is a PITA, as you will likely have to transfer to/from the rapid lines if you want to go downtown. I'd look elsewhere.

Thanks for the information. Riding the bus is no vacation.

For a budget B&B hotel in downtown look at the John Jeffries House in Beacon Hill. This is close to the Red Line MGH station (accessible) and within walking distance to Boston Common. It also offers breakfast.

The hotels with the shuttles are fine, but if you can use the T and want to stay in near attractions in Boston, try to stay in downtown Boston.

Boston hotel prices are super expensive. If you have a cancellable hotel, it might still be possible to score something on Hotwire closer to your date. I lucked out last week - docked in a snowstorm in Bayonne on Monday with heavy snow predicted for Boston. Hotwired a Back Bay hotel at 8 am and got the very nice Sheraton for $125 tax included. Rebooked a cancelled Amtrak train and made it to Boston by 5 pm, but no really safe way to get out to the burbs. After crossing the street in the snow, I was able to walk several blocks indoors to the Sheraton through Copley Place and the Pru. I was a very happy camper to be safe indoors that evening.

For a budget B&B hotel in downtown look at the John Jeffries House in Beacon Hill. This is close to the Red Line MGH station (accessible) and within walking distance to Boston Common. It also offers breakfast.

The hotels with the shuttles are fine, but if you can use the T and want to stay in near attractions in Boston, try to stay in downtown Boston.

Boston hotel prices are super expensive. If you have a cancellable hotel, it might still be possible to score something on Hotwire closer to your date. I lucked out last week - docked in a snowstorm in Bayonne on Monday with heavy snow predicted for Boston. Hotwired a Back Bay hotel at 8 am and got the very nice Sheraton for $125 tax included. Rebooked a cancelled Amtrak train and made it to Boston by 5 pm, but no really safe way to get out to the burbs. After crossing the street in the snow, I was able to walk several blocks indoors to the Sheraton through Copley Place and the Pru. I was a very happy camper to be safe indoors that evening.

Oh goodness, the snow storms have been brutal this year. I miss it a little. We were in upstate NY for a few years and I have to say, I was always excited when we were expecting a snow storm. Of course traveling during a storm stinks! I think I'll do what you suggested-book something with free cancellation and then watch hotwire. Maybe we'll get lucky like you! Thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...
My best guess would be that the hotel is the Hyatt Place in Medford. I'm not familiar with the hotel, but from their web site it looks like they do not offer any shuttle services. According to the MBTA trip planner, you would walk two minutes to the bus stop, take the 101 bus to Malden Center and the Orange line to downtown Boston. This would take 35-45 minutes.

Could this possibly be a Holiday Inn? I may have an area of Boston mixed up.

Is there a Summerville or is Somerville what I am thinking about. We stayed in a Holiday Inn there in 1974 or 1975 I think. Would not stay there again.

This was posted yesterday on another thread by Mickie about stay at Best Western Adams Quincy Hotel, thought it was worth repeating for everyone.

"We stayed at the Best Western Adams Inn in Quincy last July before boarding the Veendam for the Voyage of the Vikings.

Hotel was fine - price was reasonable, parking seemed secure to me and it was complimentary for the first two weeks and then a fair price for the balance of our long trip. If you will not have a vehicle, guess it is not an issue.

They shuttled us both to the ship and back to the hotel after the trip. Yes, we had to wait a bit for the return shuttle, but in the scheme of things, no big deal.

In fact, there were about 14-16 of us at that hotel and the restaurant was very helpful in putting a table together for our Cruise Critic Roll Call group for dinner the night before we embarked.

Caveat, book early, some folks on our RC could not get a room reservation there nor a shuttle reservation when they waited til closer to the cruise." (end of post)

http://www.bwadamsinn.com

http://www.booking.com/hotel/us/best-western-adams-inn.html

http://www.hotels.com/ho180815/best-western-adams-inn-quincy-united-states/

Google maps indicate it's about 6.5 miles from hotel to Black Falcon. We have gone by this hotel many times on our way into Boston and if we were going to Black Falcon would follow the same route as Google Maps, probably 15 min. or less drive w/ traffic.

Free shuttle is a positive!