Wow..walking the plank on the Getaway

cowboygene

I am very scared of heights (can't handle 2 steps on a ladder)....but I did the ropes course and was so glad I did! I never let go of the harness for the "look Mom no hands" picture :) but was able to do most of the course. The zipline and plank were closed because of high winds the day I went up. When I walked up the stairs, I almost turned around again...that first step out was the hardest for me but it got easier. I was still afraid while I was up there but I had fun, too. Don't assume you can't because you are scared of heights - you should absolutely try it!!

I did it xmas week, one day during 25mph winds, funny, no one else was doing it.

It's technically on desk 17, it's not 160 feet above the water as several decks are below water. Think of it this way. The bridge is deck 14 adn during our tour of the bridge, they mentioned, while I was standing on the floor windows, that they are about 95 feet above the waterline there.

I walked out backwards one time and the crew was watching me like I was crazy. I tried to find how many ways to do things in it. :)

For the record, I climb things for a living ranging from 25 feet tall up to 420 feet tall. I had fun on the ropes course not using my hands on a lot of the stations and watching people hope I was going to fall.

Can't wait to try the one on the Escape. :)

I had never done a ropes course before, so I was intrigued to try it while on Norwegian Getaway. My friend and I gave it a go while we were in St. Thomas, I think. It wasn't busy, so we had plenty of time to explore the different paths and not feel rushed.

Some of the paths I wouldn't do, but others that I had initially thought I wouldn't, I did eventually try.

And, yes, I did "The Plank".

normal_936774.jpg

So am I understanding this right? You have to do the rope course in order to walk the plank? You can not just stand in line to walk the plank like climbing the rock wall. Sounds like fun anyways. I'll probably give it a go when we go on the Getaway in late August of 2015. Not afraid of falling in, NCL will hopefully come and get me in one of their rescue boats, if I survive the fall that is!!!!!!!!!! LOL

So am I understanding this right? You have to do the rope course in order to walk the plank? You can not just stand in line to walk the plank like climbing the rock wall. Sounds like fun anyways. I'll probably give it a go when we go on the Getaway in late August of 2015. Not afraid of falling in, NCL will hopefully come and get me in one of their rescue boats, if I survive the fall that is!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Correct. You need to do the rope course to get to the plank.

yes you have to do the ropes course, as the plank is on the opposite side of the ship from the beginning of the course, I guess they figure you'll work up your courage :) I definately chickened out on the whole course! I got to the top of the steps, walked out on the platform that is there, looked left, right then down... turned around, tried to step off onto that first "obsticle" and froze! I felt completely rediculous b/c there were a couple of little girls (probably around 8 or 9) basically running circles around the course! I think my biggest issue was "if I fall off the rope/beam thing, I'm going to be stuck hanging there..." I'm definately not afraid of heights, I had a blast looking out over that first platform, but I just couldn't take that first step... My sister (who is NOT fond of heights) did the course 4 times on our cruise. the first time was when we were still in port in Miami, she originally wasn't going to do the zip line part (she thought it was separate and could be skipped) but while up on the course, it started to rain/storm so they scooted her off, and made her do the zip line... after the plank, the zip line was her favorite part! Next time we're on Getaway, I'm going to give it a try again... It looked like a great time!

Actually, the way the safety harnesses are set up, you can't "fall".

If you were to lose your grip/step, the average person "falls" about a foot on an NCL ropes course. IF that.

On the plank one time, i tested the theory and just threw my legs out. My butt didn't even hit the plank.

It's not technically "fall protection" but "fall prevention".

Woohoo!! My OSHA classes have paid off!

Edited by CP Tech

Is there an extra charge for the ropes course, rock wall, etc.?

And is there a weight or height restriction on the ropes course?

No charge for the ropes course...and there is a weight limit (300# I believe but somone would need to validate that). I am not sure if there is an extra charge for the rock wall.

No charge for the ropes course...and there is a weight limit (300# I believe but somone would need to validate that). I am not sure if there is an extra charge for the rock wall.

Very sorry to barg in our your thread, but I am tabulating our M&G list for 4/19/15 NCL Dawn. Your name was on the list, but no other posts, so I wanted to double check if you are still cruising with us? :)