Gratuities going up...minimally

HoopTroop

I see nothing requiring prepayment by March 1 or even arrangements to be made by March 1. It only says pay before sailing at lower rate, pay onboard at higher rate.

This does seem to be the case.

Edit to say: other than the emil which did state that date, which anyone who booked direct with NCL and hasn't looked at this board won't have seen, so NCL will have a hard time arguing.

Edited by KeithJenner

Here is what I received from my TA...in which she states we have until

February 28th to prepay the service charges. I will call her tomorrow to verify.

Dear Sandra, Thank you for making your travel arrangements with us. We know you must be eagerly anticipating your cruise. Please be advised that we have received important information from Norwegian regarding your sailing. Norwegian Cruise Line is adjusting its daily service charges, effective for all sailings that begin on March 1, 2015. The new rates are: �$12.95 per guest per day for any category up to a Mini-Suite stateroom. �$14.95 per guest per day for any suite category. Guests who have previously booked a cruise and are sailing after March 1, 2015, or who are planning to book a cruise now through February 28, 2015, can choose to pre�pay their service charges at the current rate by February 28, 2015. Guests with existing cruise reservations who have already pre�paid their service charges at the current rate will not be affected. Norwegian�s daily service charges, which were last adjusted in 2009, make it easy for guests to provide gratuities to key onboard staff who provide superior guest service during the cruise, including their room steward, restaurant servers and behind�the�scenes support staff. Guests who are sailing in Suite categories also receive the services of a concierge, butler and dedicated wait staff. We value your business and apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. If you have any questions or require further assistance, please feel free to call us at (800) 553-7090. Sincerely, Customer Care CRUISE 411

Confirming, just add it on by the deadline and pay whenever the final payment is due the current charge

Thanks. Good to have further confirmation.

So there is no need for anyone to pay the DSC before final payment. The emails don't say that you need to prepay by 1st March, but if you want to avoid any doubt there you can just phone and get it added to final payment.

Here is what I received from my TA...in which she states we have until

February 28th to prepay the service charges. I will call her tomorrow to verify.

Dear Sandra, Thank you for making your travel arrangements with us. We know you must be eagerly anticipating your cruise. Please be advised that we have received important information from Norwegian regarding your sailing. Norwegian Cruise Line is adjusting its daily service charges, effective for all sailings that begin on March 1, 2015. The new rates are: �$12.95 per guest per day for any category up to a Mini-Suite stateroom. �$14.95 per guest per day for any suite category. Guests who have previously booked a cruise and are sailing after March 1, 2015, or who are planning to book a cruise now through February 28, 2015, can choose to pre�pay their service charges at the current rate by February 28, 2015. Guests with existing cruise reservations who have already pre�paid their service charges at the current rate will not be affected. Norwegian�s daily service charges, which were last adjusted in 2009, make it easy for guests to provide gratuities to key onboard staff who provide superior guest service during the cruise, including their room steward, restaurant servers and behind�the�scenes support staff. Guests who are sailing in Suite categories also receive the services of a concierge, butler and dedicated wait staff. We value your business and apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. If you have any questions or require further assistance, please feel free to call us at (800) 553-7090. Sincerely, Customer Care CRUISE 411

They will have received the original email from NCL which included those dates, and have basically cut and pasted it. It will be interesting to see what they say when you phone.

Actually, I was just wondering whether the difference between the emails to TAs and those sent by NCL may be deliberate. I don't use TAs, but I wonder if there may be a reason for it.

I assume if you have booked through a TA then they have to arrange the prepayment.

I udually choose to pre-pay our DSC. With that choice it is added to my deposit. So the charge is immediate and includes the deposit and the DSC. I have also chosen to add the DSC after the deposit and a credit card is required to fulfill the request. At least that has been my experience.

I udually choose to pre-pay our DSC. With that choice it is added to my deposit. So the charge is immediate and includes the deposit and the DSC. I have also chosen to add the DSC after the deposit and a credit card is required to fulfill the request. At least that has been my experience.

Ok, I give up on what happens in the US. :)

Prepaid the amount and saved about $20 for the two of us. Would I cancel this trip because these prices went up? Of course not. Just remember that if you are not happy with the service you have received during your cruise then you can still adjust the amount at the end.

So there is no need for anyone to pay the DSC before final payment. The emails don't say that you need to prepay by 1st March, but if you want to avoid any doubt there you can just phone and get it added to final payment.

I assume but not sure if you call after March 1 and want to add it on as pre paid you WILL be charges the new rate. Before March 1 I am sure old charge

Nope. Even if you've booked with a TA, you can log in to MyNCL to prepay the service charge.

BUT if you go online you must actually pre pay with a credit card, if you call or have an agent call it can be added on and paid at final payment

BUT if you go online you must actually pre pay with a credit card, if you call or have an agent call it can be added on and paid at final payment

Er...yes. That's why it's called prepaid, 'cuz you do in fact have to prepay it. :p

But I get what you're saying. To make it part of the final payment transaction, someone is going to have to call NCL, either the passenger or the TA.

Er...yes. That's why it's called prepaid, 'cuz you do in fact have to prepay it. :p

But I get what you're saying. To make it part of the final payment transaction, someone is going to have to call NCL, either the passenger or the TA.

Yes both are technically pre paid but if you go online for a cruise 20 months out now and prepay you will be charged for it today, if you call they will add onto the record as prepaid and won't have to pre pay until final payment

PS - enjoy the snow LOL, Stay safe

Edited by pieshops

95 cent increase for most passengers per day isn't a huge deal, but LOL @ them saying you have to prepay tips by February 28 to avoid the increase.

Talk about a sneaky way to get your money several months early.

Honestly, as I said in a different thread, it is ridiculous for the tips to be affected by your booking date.

A tip is about service, meaning that it shouldn't matter if you booked last year or the day before sailing. Bottom line is the guy next door will get the same service as I do, so I should be expected to pay the same tips as he does. (Fares are different, because those are supposed to be variable depending upon many factors, while tips are supposed to completely be about quality of service.)

The fair thing here would be to start increasing the DSC only on ships that can't be booked until after March 1.

I might adjust mine down just out of this principle, though maybe I'll just leave it because the difference is so small.

95 cent increase for most passengers per day isn't a huge deal, but LOL @ them saying you have to prepay tips by February 28 to avoid the increase.

Honestly, as I said in a different thread, it is ridiculous for the tips to be affected by your booking date.

A tip is about service, meaning that it shouldn't matter if you booked last year or the day before sailing. Bottom line is the guy next door will get the same service as I do, so I should be expected to pay the same tips as he does. (Fares are different, because those are supposed to be variable depending upon many factors, while tips are supposed to completely be about quality of service.)

The fair thing here would be to start increasing the DSC only on ships that can't be booked until after March 1.

I might adjust mine down just out of this principle, though maybe I'll just leave it because the difference is so small.

Yep for some reason ncl is trying to raise cash now. The prepayment nonsense to save .95 is going to raise a ton of cash now for them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Crusin6

Also there is no reason for anyone to actually pay the dsc until they board the ship

Of course this little By feb 28 deal will raise cash as many will just prepay now anyway and not bother to secure the old amount for payment at final payment

Just a way to raise cash for ncl now versus later

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Crusin6

Actually you paying 4 months in advance is not so terrible but paying for say a December cruise for say 4 pax is a bit much. You are talking about the savings I am talking about handing over loads of cash before it is expected

I just finished a 12 BA and for 3 people the dsc was $144 x 3 $424 is way to much to pay in advance

I don't recall which poster said it but he said.... I'm not prepaying my dsc in February for a December cruise.

There is no way I would have paid my $424 10 months in advance either and it has nothing to do with earning Interest. Saving approx $36 would not be enough for me to cough up $424. And yes I know saving $36 by paying $424 now is a nice return but I'm still not giving the cruiseline that much money to help increase their cash flow

Btw on my recent cruise. I did prepay about 72 hours in advance though. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What I just paid (2x14x12=$336) was no burden to pay and can't understand for most cruisers (2x7x12=168) that it being a burden. If you want to waste your money over principal, that is your choice but it sounds contradictory (worried about money but happy to blow $36 on principle). I usually wait to the last minute to pay for anything as well as long as waiting doesn't cost me more financially. And I couldn't care less what NCL's cash flow is or what they do with the money. Also for some planners, it's one less thing they have to worry about being on the bill when they step off the boat.

Edited by Out to sea!

But, if the reports earlier in this thread are accurate and you don't actually pay it now then all this discussion is irrelevant anyway.

Out to sea!, did you pay online or did you phone? Apparently if you do it online then you pay now, but phoning gets it added to your final bill.

This could do with clarifying for sure because a lot of people seem to be basing their decision on what may not be the actual facts.

I paid online on the NCL website. Didn't matter to me whether I paid now or had it on the final bill.

What is so sneaky about it? Seriously, they are giving people fair warning and a choice to make. It's not like they are forcing anyone to pre-pay and if some or many do it's entirely their choice.

In the service industry tips have been much more than about quality of service for decades- tips have made up most of the service provider's income for quite some time and hence have become more of an expectation (for example, the IRS and the employer both tax waitstaff based on what their expected tips are rather than what is actually earned or reported). Should your service expectations not be met onboard you are still able to adjust the service charge accordingly.

And people that do adjust the service charge on any sort of principle hurt only the staff that have served them, it affects corporate not a bit.

Don't think it is really sneaky.

The consumer just needs to be the smart one and decide on the value of savings.

I have a cruise on March 22nd that I will prepay online on the 28th of Feb.

My time is worth more than trying to wait on line at guest services as you suggest to do.

I have another booked for summer of 2016 and I would not dream of paying that in advance to save such minimal amount.

My TA called NCL and spoke to 2 different people and got 2 different responses. One said the DSC would be considered paid if it were on your invoice by the end of the month and paid with the final payment. The other person said it had to be physically paid by Feb 28. I wanted to be safe so I have physically paid my DSC.

I have always assumed that the gratuity for suites is more because the cabins are larger and thus take more time to maintain.

I came home from a cruise late yesterday so I don't want to read all 15 pages of posts but I have read some!!!

A larger cabin doesn't necessary mean that it takes more time to maintain. We recently moved to a bigger place and we feel that the cleaning is much easier now and doesn't take more time because there isn't as much stuff everywhere! I suite with an extra bathroom may of course take more time to maintain but I don't think that the suites with one bathroom really takes more time to maintain than other cabins but I might be wrong!

You say it is sneaky because they notified way up front and if they waited until a few days prior to the change, others would be yelling that they should have advised them sooner. Looks like it is a no win for NCL.

BTW, how can it be sneaky, if you don't have to pay it up front???????