Trends in Cruising

cle-guy

Just found this article from the CLIA Meetings in New York today at which Adam M. Goldstein, CLIA Chairman and President and COO of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. spoke.

Some interesting take aways:

• Repeat passengers are only 62% of cruisers - no wonder X and other lines are looking to new cruisers so heavily, returners aren't really tipping the scales too far
  • Cruise passengers have grown from 17.8 to 22.1 million from 2009 to 2014 - no wonder ships sail full
  • Mediterranean, Asia and Australia are seeing major growth, so expect to see more ships leave the overly competitive Caribbean market over time (As Connie is leaving soon, And RCI's Anthem is only staying here for a short while). This should drive fare increases over the next few winter Caribbean Seasons as supply dwindles and interest in cruising rises.
  • Travel agents handle 7 of 10 bookings, no wonder there's little interest by the cruise lines to do much to enhance the direct telephone or on-line booking channels, a minority of cruisers are using that as a booking method.
  • 89% of cruisers are "highly satisfied" with their experience, 84% would recommend cruising, and 69% prefer cruising to land vacations.

Thanks Curt, very interesting. I have seen most of the above and have seen the trends go in those directions. My only question would be about the Travel Agents. We always book our cruise on board and transfer them to our agent. Celebrity and Azamara seem to prefer that, as maybe they do not want to do the servicing on the reservation, even though for us it is not work at all. I wonder if it would stay 7 out of 10 for TA's if the cruise industry tried to keep the reservations in house.....

Your numbers probably apply to all cruises except the ones I have been on lately. I am an X guy. On our last 3 cruises, we have had coupons in lieu of a lounge for X elite. Which tells me that there are a large number of repeat customers .

With overall 1,2,3 this is an all inclusive resort to different locations. I am sure there are new customers but my experience is there are an abundant of past cruisers booking.

Check the roll calls !....

Renaissance cruise tried to do away with travel agents and go direct... they are no longer sailing.

eaglewar

Edited by eaglewar
more information

Your numbers probably apply to all cruises except the ones I have been on lately. I am an X guy. On our last 3 cruises, we have had coupons in lieu of a lounge for X elite. Which tells me that there are a large number of repeat customers .

With overall 1,2,3 this is an all inclusive resort to different locations. I am sure there are new customers but my experience is there are an abundant of past cruisers booking.

Check the roll calls !....

Renaissance cruise tried to do away with travel agents and go direct... they are no longer sailing.

eaglewar

Of my 10 cruises to date, only 2 had elite coupons, both TA's. Unless you have met over 1600 past cruisers on a ship, you really can't confirm that there is far more repeat customers than the statistics point to. No roll call I have been on has had more than 1600 cruisers (i'm doing rough math based on 2800 cruisers at 60%)as part of it, even the largest one was about 150 or so people (call it 300 assuming double occupancy and only 1 occupant joining roll call), but not enough to gauge the statistic with any meaningful validation.

Sure it's gonna vary line to line I suspect, and there will be anomalies in particular itineraries such as TA's and "special" itineraries perhaps like Mardi Gras, Holiday cruses, Repo's and Rio that us insiders jump on.

I see no chance that cruise lines lose TA's any time soon. TA's do a great job of filling ships, pulling groups together etc. It seems bound to the culture of cruising whereas that was never part of Hotel or Airlines. For all the people TA's pull in, means less dollars cruise lines have to spend on marketing, as the TA's do all that work for them using their own dollars.

On our Reflection TA last Fall, the CC hostess told me that there were over 2,000 Elite and Elite + CC members on board. I see this as a growing trend.

TA's are a whole different ball game. They do not attract your average cruiser on vacation.

TAs, at least the big, online shops seem to give cruisers more in the way of perks for booking with them. I know I booked our first two cruises with my then favorite airline's cruise site to get some miles..then I learned the other offers out there and now book with an online TA who covers my grats and more and still gives me good service.

Thanks Curt, hopefully we will get more ships down to Australia every year. The 2014-15 season here has been wonderful with lots of ships and plenty of discount sales to ensure full passages. The more ships they send the more sales for me to take advantage of.:D

On our Reflection TA last Fall, the CC hostess told me that there were over 2,000 Elite and Elite + CC members on board. I see this as a growing trend.

TA's are a whole different ball game. They do not attract your average cruiser on vacation.

Maybe THAT is why they are SO thoroughly relaxing and enjoyable! :D

The upcoming B2B Constellation 25 night TA/Med cruise is only $1,436pp with $625 OBC. I can't live at home for that price!

Edited by teecee60