Sailing on Christmas how festive is it? Past cruisers please help me decide.

Looking to cruise over Christmas ( actually will be on the ship on the 25 th ) I can see from members pictures that the ship is beautifully decorated BUT what else is done to make spending the extra money for a holiday cruise to make it feel festive? Could you please give examples from a past compass.

Thank you

We have done the last 3 Christmas's aboard primarily because that is when we can travel. The week of Christmas, while expensive is not as expensive as the week of New Years.

There is not really a lot extra to justify the high price it just "is what it is" and we pay it because that is when we can travel. Given the choice I would go a week earlier and save a few thousand.

A said above, the ships are beautifully decorated, special menu for Christmas Day (which we skip and do a specialty restaurant), carolling Christmas Eve, Santa makes an appearance Christmas morning with gifts for all the kids, and to me the best is the escaping of the hustle and bustle of the season and just relaxing and spending some great time with my family.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Did a Christmas cruise last year. I am Jewish, and they definitely do not shove Christmas down your throat. The decorations are quite nice, but if you do not wish to partake in the carolling or Christmas festivities you won't feel out of place.

I've done it twice, had a good time.

The captain announced "something on radar" Christmas Eve a few times, which was cute. Plus Santa gave all the kids (teens included) a gift (although you could pick up later without visiting Santa if you wished).

As another poster said, they don't shove it down your throat. I'd say the average mall probably goes more overboard than the ships did. So long as you aren't the "militant atheist" type you should be ok. I say that not because it matters to me, but my last one I heard someone complaining about seeing any decorations whatsoever. Just be aware you will see decorations, Santa, and others celebrating the holiday. Plus you'll hear Christmas music of course.

It will probably be far less stressful than the average holiday with the extended family, unless you drag them with you (in which case I can't help).

Edited by JasonV1

Looking to cruise over Christmas ( actually will be on the ship on the 25 th ) I can see from members pictures that the ship is beautifully decorated BUT what else is done to make spending the extra money for a holiday cruise to make it feel festive? Could you please give examples from a past compass.

Thank you

We've done three Christmas sailings on two lines last being RCL. Holiday festivities were not very noticeable, decorations were nice but not overly intrusive. I would agree with the poster that said most US Malls do more than the ship. I found all three over crowded, full ships, many more families with kids than I would have anticipated. Have decided not for us so much being in 60's.

We've actually decided for forego some of our cruising and start taking some land package deals in winter. Flight to Bahama's, Key west, wherever south. The land packages are getting pretty comparable most times of the year. I would imagine all venues are very business during the Xmas holiday. Disney for example is so crowded Xmas week that they have to close park for arriving guest in afternoon, all full.

George in NY

We (me, DW, and DD 18) did this past Christmas on the Quantum with family/friends and it was the best. Ship was beautifully decorated, but not overdone, and there was absolutely no pressure, as Christmas usually brings.:eek: We spent Christmas eve on Coco Cay, and had a wonderful time. Christmas day was at sea, and a joy.

We have already booked a 12 day Serenade cruise with the same family/friends this year covering both Christmas and New Years. It looks like we have broken away from some old traditions, and have started some newer ones. From my perspective, I would say go for it!

We have gone on Christmas cruises for the past 8 years, mostly on Royal Caribbean. Yes, there are lots of kids but we've found the cruises to be more sedate and the children to be better behaved than on Spring Break cruises. It may be because lots of families are together and they do things as a family versus letting the kids just run wild. We love cruising during the holidays.

Just went on Christmas cruise. I only went since there was a death in the family earlier in the year and wanted to change the tradition.

They have some decorations, services, caroling, etc. but I would advise having Christmas at home unless you dread the cooking, etc. The cost and crowds don't justify it unless that's the only time you can get off.

Christmas decorations are still up for early January sailings and at a much cheaper rate.

Special menu in the MDR. Decorations on the ship.

We sailed on the Radiance last Christmas and there was definitely no special menu. There wasn't even Turkey on it. My wife was extremely disappointed as I had said that she would be able to get a traditional Christmas dinner.

Thank you

at best there may be a visit from santa for the kids with dollar store trinkets( or cheesy cruise line freebies) as gifts. the caroling on my Xmas cruise was led by a passenger who organized the rehearsals and the performance.

I found it way too crowded and frenetic to really enjoy myself. too many large family groups( multiple generations of 12 or more) with a lot more strollers and ECVs/wheelchairs that made the ship feel even more packed.

We sailed on the Radiance last Christmas and there was definitely no special menu. There wasn't even Turkey on it. My wife was extremely disappointed as I had said that she would be able to get a traditional Christmas dinner.

we had one. nothing on it was overly special, and b/c they serve it on Xmas eve it messed up the traditional: Formal night equals better menu scenario. (although in fairness every night on that cruise the menu served in the MDR was NOT the one that was listed on the interactive computers or the one listed in the Concierge Lounge for that day. )

and yes Turkey was on the menu. it was meh. the distinct lack of cranberry sauce ruined it for me. (not really)