TUI to Restructure and Change Thomson Cruises!! - Announcmen & Plans in May

Finally!

Looks like new ships and a whole restructure. Looks like they seriously mean it this time:

http://m.travelweekly.co.uk/Article.aspx?cat=news&id=53169

Announcement to be made in May but looks like they are going towards the TUI Cruises model. Exciting times ahead I think...

Edited by Sailaway487

Finally!

Looks like new ships and a whole restructure. Looks like they seriously mean it this time:

http://m.travelweekly.co.uk/Article.aspx?cat=news&id=53169

Announcement to be made in May but looks like they are going towards the TUI Cruises model. Exciting times ahead I think...

That's interesting. On the one hand I think an improved product may arise with more choice but on the other it may mean TUI not targeting the lower end of the market but luxury and expedition cruisers.

I wonder when the summer 2016 brochures will be released? The timing of this will be interesting. We had issues with P&O when days after having booked they changed their fare structure. Remember the problems when the Dream left & Majesty arrived. Are they testing the water!!!!!!!!!

They certainly need to do something to make some improvements.

One thing I would think, they need to remain Brirish. I am sure a lot of people enjoy the Thomson product as they are only English speaking ships not multi-language.

Will be interesting to hear what is going to happen - let's just hope there are not going to be huge price increases!

flippin eck!!

looks like the thomson product is gonna be changed beyond all recognition? but they dont seem to know how thay are going to do that?

quote 'The question is how we go from the Thomson model to the Tui model – Tui Cruises is more profitable'

quote 'You don’t find any cruise company that makes a good business based on charters [of ships]. Thomson Cruises is almost all chartered – only one ship is owned.'

looks like spirit and madge are finished :eek: dream and celebration probably replaced? question is? why are they modernising them then?

what they will do with ie is anyones guess?

just an afterthought.... do tui employ the same crewing agencies as thoms?

Edited by geomagot

Very interesting sailaway! Thanks for that heads up. :)

Well I must say it's all very confusing to me. Why invest in Dream and Celebration if chartered ships don't make a profit? Or is the investment down to buying these ships? All the talk of premium end of the market too :confused:

This could be very exciting but I'm not sure where they're heading. Imo they need new(er) ships, remain a British style product (that will differentiate them from some of their competitors and likely attract/retain many UK customers) and go for decent standards and service without outrageous pricing. Time will tell!

Very interesting sailaway! Thanks for that heads up. :)

Well I must say it's all very confusing to me. Why invest in Dream and Celebration if chartered ships don't make a profit? Or is the investment down to buying these ships? All the talk of premium end of the market too :confused:

This could be very exciting but I'm not sure where they're heading. Imo they need new(er) ships, remain a British style product (that will differentiate them from some of their competitors and likely attract/retain many UK customers) and go for decent standards and service without outrageous pricing. Time will tell!

As I keep admitting, we have never sailed with Thomson but keep looking at the brochures as the itineraries look great... the ships less so. It will be interesting to see what happens as we would jump at a Thomson Cruise with a newer ship and a chance of a balcony that isn't going to cost a fortune.

Working with RCI may sound good but, as someone has said, it will be a lot more expensive than working with Louis Cruise lines ! :)

They certainly need to do something to make some improvements.

One thing I would think, they need to remain Brirish. I am sure a lot of people enjoy the Thomson product as they are only English speaking ships not multi-language.

Will be interesting to hear what is going to happen - let's just hope there are not going to be huge price increases!

Before we started cruising we often stayed at hotels with different nationalities and got used to the different language announcements but from what I remember English was usually first or second. My grandson also learned songs with verses in different languages and on some nights the children used to entertain their parents by singing them on stage with actions. The downside of that was that you found yourself constantly humming the tunes. :eek:

Before we started cruising we often stayed at hotels with different nationalities and got used to the different language announcements but from what I remember English was usually first or second.:

So did we Jackie - it was a novelty to start with but after hearing things being announced in German, Spanish, Italian, French & English it got a bit long-winded - everything took for ever!! Another reason we love sailing on Crusie ships that are all English speaking!

Edited by Julessmiles

On Celebrity there are many different nationalities, but apart from the Muster Drill everything is just in English. Its is nice to meet people from other nationalities.

Princess are the same Presto. But of course RCI, Celebrity and Princess are American owned. Tui is basically German.

On Celebrity there are many different nationalities, but apart from the Muster Drill everything is just in English. Its is nice to meet people from other nationalities.

That's interesting Presto2.

We had our first Celebrity cruise last year and all announcements were in English and Spanish but it wasn't intrusive like saying it in 5 languages. There was a large number of S. Americans onboard.

That's interesting Presto2.

We had our first Celebrity cruise last year and all announcements were in English and Spanish but it wasn't intrusive like saying it in 5 languages. There was a large number of S. Americans onboard.

We were in the Med and had people from the USA, Canada, the UK. Ireland. France, Germany, Spain, Italy and Israel --- well, they were the ones we met.

I am wondering now if there were other announcements but can't remember any at all. Then again, if we can't remember them it can't have impacted on the cruise that much. :)

Well maybe this would explain why Thomson Cruises have took a nosedive

in quality in certian aspects of their cruises in the last few months, with

people reporting back that Thomson having a "well it's your fault ,not ours" attitude to some of the problems they have had whilst on-board.

Could it be that they have taken their eye off the ball busy planning this new venture Royal Caribbean Cruise Line.

Will they go for brand new ships ?

RCL expanding their fleet have two new ships in the pipeline ,one having the steel cut and the other having the keel laid .

Not these ships but are Thomson going to take joint ownership of any new ships that come along ?

Who knows we will have to wait and see.

Will they adopt some of the ideas that RCL have in operation on some of their ships ?

Would they bring in the RCI's Dynamic Dining concept to replace the Main Dining Room's ?

This would make a few things redundant , like waiters saving tables, also Geo having to stand half way up a "50 steps of staircase" ,whilst his

Mrs admires an old print poster by the restaraunt entrance.

Or Geo frantically trying to shove eight tenticals down his mush ,with ten minutes to go the opening of the show, knowing it's going to be a packed house.

What do the waiters do to help ? Delay your pudding ,get out the guitars and start singing .."We have all the time in the world ".:o... doing

a poor impression of Louie Armstrong ;).

Now I remember why I used to prefer the evening buffet:).

I Hope they keep the freindly staff, the entertainment /show teams of Thomson and a nice chilled out Sky Bar type Venue we can chill out in would be nice ..

..can we have one please :) .

What would you peeps like to see come/stay or get rid of , if we are to go into a new venture with Thomson ? :)

Edited by kalos

I'm guessing the current improvements they are making with the fleet was planned before the TUI merger was given the go-ahead. It does seem to me that this is the German side of the business trying to make its mark on the newly acquired UK side.

Be interesting if they do go down the joint RCL venture route like TUI Cruises. Particularly as that is what Island Cruises used to be before TUI UK took it over. Talking of which, I wonder what will happen to Island Cruises? My guess is is that it will go within the next couple of years - can't see it fitting this new business model.

I do agree with the point that what keeps many coming to Thomson is the Britishness feel of it. I suppose TUI could go one of two ways - have TUI Cruises and Thomson Cruises merged into one cruise line, or keep them separate and have them tailored towards the specific German/English markets. Although they have mentioned in the past how they want TUI Cruises to become more international.

I hope they keep the more interesting and different itineraries (but at the same time add some more 10/11 night ones instead of just the same 7 night pattern), the current Broadway-style entertainment, and the overall friendliness on board, particularly the fantastic crew.

I hope they change the ships completely, new builds if possible, but nothing over 90,000 GT, better food and drinks, better drinks packages, and overall become a more professional operation with improvements in customer service.

The promises of 'modernisation' in the past have always fallen rather flat. This time though it seems as though change is going to happen finally, and something will become of it - long overdue too in my opinion.

Time scale wise, I think May would mean it would be too late for any impact to happen in summer 2016, as usually the brochure is out in April. Although, it would explain why the cruise schedules I'm looking at keep changing and are rather secretive.

If I had to guess, I'd say Mein Schiff 1 & 2 would transfer over to Thomson once TUI gets another couple of new builds sailings, replacing Majesty and Spirit. While at the same time, two new-builds were commissioned to replace Dream and Celebration couple of years later. Almost follow the same pattern of TUI Cruises formation.

Edited by Sailaway487

Well my wish list would be:

Improved quality and choice of food in mdr in the evenings

More efficient service - 2 hours to be served your meal isn't acceptable (ie reverse staff cuts)

Proper freedom doing - ie you get a table when you arrive, no reservations and a bleeper alert if there is a delay (at least you're treated in order and is fair to everyone)

Keep Peel entertainment - and a format which reflects the existing shows

Retain Britishness

Continue to offer port intensive itineraries and being creative in finding new ones

Consider one ship being based further afield - Far East?

Improve food

New(er) ships which can support ie have space for alternative dining venues not squashed in as an after-thought

Purpose built balconies - not bolt-ons (fairly standard with newer ships though so should be a given)

Proper raked theatre with good views from everywhere ( " " " " )

Retain reasonable drinks pricing

As Sailaway said - not too big (max 2,000 pax) and not going for space-swallowing gimmicks which take away public space and cater to a very small % of pax

Retain and promote the traditional Thomson ambience with happy friendly crew

Identify your core customers and don't try to be all things to all people

And did I mention the food? :rolleyes:

But by coming up to the standards of competitors, don't expect to charge more!

Edited by kruzseeka

If the changes due to take place are anything like the changes we have experienced over the past year or so, I wouldn't set my sights too high on getting a better cruising experience with Thomson.

Higher prices, staff cuts, poor food quality, paying for some seats in the theatre, more drinks with supplements on the drinks package, more paying restaurants and coffee ports, and fewer flights available from regional airports.

Then there is the sell, sell, sell.

Thomson have put kettles in cabins, a runner and a few cushions on the beds, bumped up the prices and called their ships platinum.

I would love to see new ships, new itineraries, competitive prices and the same great crew. Here's hoping they get it right this time

I would like to see better food, more staff, fewer PoC changes, ex UK sailings, adherence to dress code & other standards and value for money.......in other words, back to where it was up until 2/3 years ago.

I wouldn't like to see larger ships, a non-british ambience, gimmicks & higher prices.

in other words, back to where it was up until 2/3 years ago.

On the money with that one, Rookery.

We would never have left if they hadn't changed the product to such an extent.

I wouldn't disagree with any of the comments so far.

My list would be pretty much the same.

Better quality of food, drinks and improved service. A drinks package that you can upgrade if you want a better choice of drinks.

Better ships.

Keep Peel entertainment and have decent groups like Muzzik Unlimited playing somewhere that you can dance.

Keep the friendly ambience and Britishness.

Keep the fantastic itineraries.

Don't charge way over the odds for newer ships.

Radically improved website, booking procedures

Listen to what your loyal customers tell you.

Radically improve booking procedures and the website. Streamline the process so that cabins can be chosen at time of booking and are free.

Stop charging for safes. Include the money in the cost of the holiday if you need it and stop irritating people with it. No-one else charges for safes.

Stop the cuts to regional airports for certain cruises eg the Caribbean. Lower the cost of booking seats, extra legroom seats, extra luggage. Restore the 23 kgs for cruises and scrap the additional hand luggage allowance for cruises that causes so many issues at the airport.

Start the customer service department from scratch! This has been Thomson's biggest own goal so far. People are losing trust in Thomson as a company. Honesty and transparency should be the byword.

Wow. Didn't realise I had all of that in me :D

Edited by Little Nell

So many similar points being made :rolleyes:

There is no doubt in my mind and others too from reading the comments above that Thomson have done themselves serious harm in the last 2/3 years with their cost cutting measures and attempts to increase their profit margin - to the detriment of the passenger experience. If they don't remedy that imo no amount of upgrading ships will stem the flow of so many regulars to Thomson's competitors. They need to listen!