Bio Bay -Viesques. Is it worth it???

bre

Just wondering if anyone has experienced the Bio bay off of Viesques. If so...thoughts??? Did you like it? How far of a drive from San Jaun? And who was your tour guide? Trying to make up my mind, on whether to take the trek or not.

Vieques is another island off the coast of PR. You would either have to take the ferry or fly over to do the tour. The ferry is very unreliable from everything I have read. There are biobay tours that operate out of Fajardo which is an hour or so from San Juan. What hours are you in port?

We had the same dilema and opted to not do the biobay. Also, we weren't comfortable driving on unfamiliar roads in the dark. Sorry, not much help..........We did however, love the west side of the island. We spent 2 days and went to the Rincon lighthouse, Crash Boat Beach, and Jobos beach.

Whether it's "worth it" or not depends on your personal point of view and expectations. There are only a handful of places in the world where you can witness bioluminescence to the degree and predictability that you'll see in Fajardo or Vieques.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of years ago DH and I flew in a couple of days pre-cruise rented a car and drove down to Cieba and flew to Vieques for 2 nights and did the bio-bay we thought it was a neat experience!

We are going back to PR in April with the adult kids. Unfortunately time does not allow a trip over to Vieques but are wanting to show them the bio-bay in Fajardo. My problem now is trying to find a company that I don't lose my deposit if I cancel the day of as we are flying in that day and you never can predict what delays could happen and don't want to lose my $ so not sure what to do.

In making your decision, check the phase of the moon. A new moon (dark) is the best time to see the bioluminensce. A full or half full moon would not be a good time.

I did Fajardo many years ago and it was magical. I'm hoping to do Vieques someday since it is reputed to be an even better experience.

Back in 2009, postcruise, my daughters and I hired a driver to take us to the ferry. Ferried to Vieques and stayed 3 days, then ferried back. We had a wonderful time and the biobay was the highlight of the trip. At that time they allowed us to swim in the bay and it was magical. However, I recently heard from someone who was on the island that they no longer allow swimming in the bay because someone was bit by a nurse shark. :eek: