11am out of Hobby??

schmeed

We are on Navigator 4/5 - 4/12. It's scheduled to arrive in Galveston at 7:00am on 4/12. Can we make an 11:00am flight?

I realize it's about 60 minutes to the airport.

Need to be there ideally by 9:30am

That means we need to get off the ship by 9:00am to clear customs.

Seems reasonable.

I know that we could have an issue if the ship is delayed being cleared.

Thoughts? Has anyone done this?

If you are flying domestically, you only need to be at the airport one hour before departure, not two hours. (That's for international flights.)

Since April 12th is a Sunday, traffic will be light at that time of the morning and you should be able to get from the Galveston Port to Hobby in an hour. Does NCL offer "self-debarkation" where you carry all of your bags off the ship and are allowed to debark before the others? (I know Carnival, Princess and other cruise lines do this.)

If you can do "self-debarkation", you have a good chance of making it to the airport by 10am. (You must like to live life on the edge booking an 11am flight! :))

Edited by GradUT

I haven't booked the flight yet. We are currently on an 8:30pm non-stop back to Indy and get in at 11:50pm. Kids have school the next day.

The only other (reasonably priced options on Southwest) are the 11am flight. It stops in Dallas but who cares, it gets back to Indy at 4:15pm.

I'm really torn on this. I'm sure we could make it, but murphy's law has a way of creeping in on these things...

If you are flying domestically, you only need to be at the airport one hour before departure, not two hours. (That's for international flights.)

Since April 12th is a Sunday, traffic will be light at that time of the morning and you should be able to get from the Galveston Port to Hobby in an hour. Does NCL offer "self-debarkation" where you carry all of your bags off the ship and are allowed to debark before the others? (I know Carnival, Princess and other cruise lines do this.)

If you can do "self-debarkation", you have a good chance of making it to the airport by 10am. (You must like to live life on the edge booking an 11am flight! :))

The OP is sailing Nvagator, so that is Royal Caribbean, not NCL. Royal Caribbean does have self disembarkation. Many, many people use it in Galveston.

I haven't booked the flight yet. We are currently on an 8:30pm non-stop back to Indy and get in at 11:50pm. Kids have school the next day.

The only other (reasonably priced options on Southwest) are the 11am flight. It stops in Dallas but who cares, it gets back to Indy at 4:15pm.

I'm really torn on this. I'm sure we could make it, but murphy's law has a way of creeping in on these things...

my hunch is that would make the earilier flight. You could build in a back up?..Are both your flight options with Southwest? If so, does your family fly Southwest fairly often (enough that you know they will fly again this year)? if yest to both, you could consider booking both SWA flights. If the ship docks and is cleared promptly, you should make it to Hobby in plenty of time for the early flight. So, you take the early flight and cancel the late one, getting travel funds to use for your next adventure.

If your ship is badly delayed, you can cancel the early flight (at least 10 min ahead again getting trave funds), and take the late flight.

If you happen to have frequent flyer miles, that is an even better way to book a back up; the miles would go back into your account(s) if you cancel.

You say you haven't booked flights yet but are on an 8:30pm flight? Do you mean your options are a 11:00am flight or an 8:30pm flight out of HOU?

Can you make it, it is a gamble. I know that Galveston has fog delays a lot, though is fog an issue in April?

You say you haven't booked flights yet but are on an 8:30pm flight? Do you mean your options are a 11:00am flight or an 8:30pm flight out of HOU?

Can you make it, it is a gamble. I know that Galveston has fog delays a lot, though is fog an issue in April?

Yes, I already booked the 8:30pm flight on SWA. Trying to get home earlier.

Does fog cause a delay in the ships coming into port?

fog delays often in/out of galveston. That's a very close time.

it's very risky!

Fog delays are really not that often.

But if it happens to you, it seems it occurs every day.

There is no way to plan what weather will be anywhere at any given time. We have sailed out of Galveston for years and never been delayed by fog.

Fog does occur and is more prevalent in the spring as the water warms up.

We have gone years with no fog, then have a Spring with 6 or 7 days of fog over the course of a month:eek: