Aft balcony

Cruisegirl6

I'm going to be the odd man out here, and state the cons to an aft balcony.

You can never look where you are going, especially entering port. You are always looking backwards. If you are prone to motion sickness, you will not enjoy looking at the wake. And if you are in a storm, you will definitely feel the motion a lot more than other areas of the ship.

We were already booked in a balcony cabin, when an aft cabin became available, we paid only $50 extra pp. Folks on this board talked so much about it being a preferred area, we decided to go for it. While on the cruise we discussed our pros and cons and decided that for us the $50 would have been better spent elsewhere.

The only pro for us was the extra large balcony. It was really nice when we hosted our cabin on the cabin crawl. Had about 25 people moving through and it was nice to have the extra space on that balcony.

You can never look where you are going, especially entering port. You are always looking backwards. If you are prone to motion sickness, you will not enjoy looking at the wake. And if you are in a storm, you will definitely feel the motion a lot more than other areas of the ship.

We were already booked in a balcony cabin, when an aft cabin became available, we paid only $50 extra pp. Folks on this board talked so much about it being a preferred area, we decided to go for it. While on the cruise we discussed our pros and cons and decided that for us the $50 would have been better spent elsewhere.

The only pro for us was the extra large balcony. It was really nice when we hosted our cabin on the cabin crawl. Had about 25 people moving through and it was nice to have the extra space on that balcony.

Well, yes you can sometimes see where you are going.

We were in an aft cabin (suite) on NCL Gem on a Med cruise. We backed into port at Naples and had wonderful view. It all depends on the port and how they position themselves.

FWIW, my wife is very susceptible to motion sickness, she has trouble in back seats in cars and forget about theme park rides. She has shortened many fishing trips. Anyway, aft cabins and viewing the wake do not affect her (accept one occasion when it got rocky when we were headed back to LA after doing a Mexican Riviera and the ship was hauling the mail).

In rough seas you will feel a lot more motion towards the front of the ship than the rear.

Hello,

Can anybody tell me what it is like having a balcony in the aft...pros and cons?

If I get an aft balcony is it generally less breezy more warm outside?

Do you feel any vibration.

Which aft balconies are larger?

I am thinking of going on the Getaway.

The absolutely best place on the ship, IMHO! If we could get an aft-facing balcony every time, we would. It gives you an amazing view, and can be incredibly peaceful. Depending on the ship, you may feel more vibrations on one than another. It's supposedly bad in terms of vibration on Epic, but we didn't have any problems. There's also generally less traffic back there, so it can also be peaceful in terms of hallway noise.

• Like 1

We have an Deck 9 Aft balcony on the Epic, which is covered. Do you think we will have the soot issue?

If so, is it only "sooty" when you are moving, not when you are docked?

We were in aft-facing on Epic (deck 11) and never saw the soot that others talk about. You are going to LOVE your balcony! We had lounge chairs and a table, and spent so much time out there! I particularly enjoy the construction of Epic in terms of the straight up and down aft of the ship, as it felt more private than others.

• Like 1

FWIW' date=' my wife is very susceptible to motion sickness, she has trouble in back seats in cars and forget about theme park rides. She has shortened many fishing trips. Anyway, aft cabins and viewing the wake do not affect her (accept one occasion when it got rocky when we were headed back to LA after doing a Mexican Riviera and the ship was hauling the mail).

In rough seas you will feel a lot more motion towards the front of the ship than the rear.[/quote']

I am the same way about motion sickness. Heck I got motion sick on the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh ride in Disney World lol but I'll book an AFT cabin every chance I get. I take motion sickness pills during my cruises. I felt just as sick in a Haven Spa Suite on the Breakaway, and that cabin is somewhat forward on the ship.

Getaway 9318:

Getaway 9322:

Not the Breakaway (and not 9320), but the Getaway is a sister ship and so most likely your cabin will look like these. Note that 9320 will have a balcony as wide as 9318; 9322's is a little narrower (compare the balcony rail "panels" in the two videos). I've read that 9320 has the bed by the balcony (like 9318). I've also read that deck 9 has the deepest aft balconies on the ship, so I think you made a great choice!

Thank you! We have 9322 on the Breakaway. :D

Getaway 9318:

Getaway 9322:

Not the Breakaway (and not 9320), but the Getaway is a sister ship and so most likely your cabin will look like these. Note that 9320 will have a balcony as wide as 9318; 9322's is a little narrower (compare the balcony rail "panels" in the two videos). I've read that 9320 has the bed by the balcony (like 9318). I've also read that deck 9 has the deepest aft balconies on the ship, so I think you made a great choice!

Thank you so much for posting those!!

Im even more excited now!!

We have an Deck 9 Aft balcony on the Epic, which is covered. Do you think we will have the soot issue?

If so, is it only "sooty" when you are moving, not when you are docked?

You won't have soot issues on the Epic due to the straight line of the stern. It is the ships with the angled afts that have an issue.

Just off the Getaway, aft suite, deck 11 and there were mornings we couldn't have coffee out there due to soot. Our steward always did his best to clean it, but I always put a towel on the cushion since ruining a skirt on the Sun.

Even with the soot, an aft room is always our preference!! Bigger balconies and we love watching the wake!

Hello,

Can anybody tell me what it is like having a balcony in the aft...pros and cons?

If I get an aft balcony is it generally less breezy more warm outside?

Do you feel any vibration.

Which aft balconies are larger?

I am thinking of going on the Getaway.

We love the aft balcony cabins when we can afford them. Had an aft balcony suite on the Jade and an aft balcony, (no suite), on the Gem. We did not notice any extra noise or vibration except when pulling into ports.

Both cruises were Fall so did not have a stagnant air problem as others mentioned.

Pros for us: Views are spectacular and wake noises put us to sleep every night.

Having to walk from aft to everywhere, we never gained a pound on a cruise.

All our balconies had at least one lounger and chair with a table, plenty big enough for us 2 people.

Cons: Hmmm.... can't think of any.

Lynda

• 2 months later...
I just booked my first Aft balcony on Breakaway and was originally assigned room 14276 but because of the posts about noise from above I change to 10314. Any feedback or pictures of 10314?

We just switched from 14276 the first week of November to 9922 lol because of the same thing. I didn't want the noise and heard better balcony space on deck 9. I would take 14276 over a reg balcony due really to my excitement about trying an aft room, but was relieved when I noticed 9922 open n was able to switch.

Edited by Spirit25

I think the only con is that on the jewel class ships(not sure what others) if you are in the garden cafe they people can see down to your cabin if they look over the side

Other than that I loved sailing aft

Sitting on the balcony and watching the wake

Glorious!!

We are sailing to Bermudaon the breakaway in four days as well! We are in balcony 9736. Can anyone tell me what to expect, as it looks like we are on a corner or diagonal part of the ship? Is this room good or bad, balcony small or larger? First time cruiser and not sure about how to choose a room[emoji1] any honest input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!