Oasis Review - Amazing Ship - Too Crowded

DHADEN

We are finally home from our Back-2-Back on the Oasis -

A really different experience from all our other cruises; but…. That’s why we booked it after all these years of saying we would not like the 6,000 pax + 2500 crew. 8,500 people on a ship is a LOT – I don’t care how big she is.;)

I should start off by saying the ship is ABSOLUTELY MAGNIFICENT. We spent the frist day walking around saying “WOW” a lot. Even at the end of the first week, I was still getting confused as to “where” certain venues were. “Let’s see, is that on the Promenade, or Central Park, or maybe it was on Deck 4”…..

And the entertainment was UNBELIEVABLY AMAZING! Everything we saw was really good. We reserved all the shows for the first week because my sister was cruising that week too. CATS was awesome, even though it was almost 3 hours. A lot of people left at intermission (assuming because it was too long), but they missed the best part. I thought the second half was the best. The dancing and singing was VERY talented.

The Ice-Show was also the best we’ve seen on any other ship (have seen 4 others).

The Aqua-Theatre Dive Show was also AWSOME. Of course we had not seen that anywhere else.

And then the Come Fly With Me near the end of the week was kind of like the “Cirque Du Soleil” show. It was a lot of fun, and much larger production than what we had seen on other ships.

The Topper to the entertainment was the band that played in Dazzles just about every night. Centerpiece is a 6-person group (other ships won’t spend for a band that large – I think 4 is the largest) that blew everyone away every night. They played EVERY kind of music you can imagine and made it look easy. We were there til closing every night because it was Sooooooo good.

Another venue the Oasis has that no other ship has (yet) is the “Suite Lounge”. They took away the Concierge Lounge – the Diamond Plus have to share the Too-Small Diamond Lounge now; and replaced it with the lounge room for ONLY suite guests and Pinnacle Members. You have to have a Gold Card to get in. If you can qualify, it is very, very nice. The room used to be the Viking Crown Lounge, and it is HUGE -- Two-Story panorama windows that cross the beam of the ship. It was never more than 2/3 full even during the happy hours.

Now, for all of the people who have written reviews and said that the Oasis was NOT CROWDED…….

“Sure there are 6,000 pax, but you never see the people because the ship is so big.”…………..

THEY LIE!!!! :p :D

The ship was CROWDED A LOT !!!

Any show you are planning to see, even with a reservation, you better get there at least ½ hour early or all the seats are taken.

When we went to CATS, we got there 15 minutes before the show and the 3rd Deck room was almost full. After that we started planning differently.

Even in the Dance Lounge late at night – the Centerpiece would be on the Compass to start playing at 10:00, and if you get there at 10:00 there are no tables available.

Try to go to the Windjammer for lunch, and there was a line down the hall and down the stairs; the staff was asking people to go somewhere else “Because the Windjammer is too crowded”. We went to the Park Café – there was a line of about 30 people out the door. We went to the Solarium Bistro – the line was through the café and out the back. :eek:

We always had room service for breakfast, so didn’t experience first hand, but were told the Dining Room and the Windjammer were “impossible” for breakfast.

If there was anything at all going on in the Promenade (even one of the stores having a sale) you could hardly get from one end to the other because of the CROWDS. We were sitting in the Schooner Bar on deck 6 looking down on the Promenade once, and talking about how noisy it was. Donna said, "It reminds me of the Mall at Christmas".:rolleyes:

I can say that the first week, we had one of the best waiters and the best assistant waiter we have ever experienced in the Dining Room. We had a large table (there were 9 of us), made good friends with our table-mates, and had a blast every night. The food was really good and the service was waaaaay over and above what we expect.

Overall….

We had a really great cruise, a lot of fun, a truly unique experience, and can once more say we have cruised the Largest Ship On The Ocean.

We prefer the smaller Radiance Class with 2400 pax.

Edited by DHADEN

Thank you for doing that review. And having sailed Oasis once before, I can say everything you wrote was accurate to our own experience last time. That being said, I can't wait to go back on Oasis later this year. We did find peak times during both breakfast and lunch to be very chaotic at Windjammer and at Park Café. But we remedied that by grabbing a snack during those times and adjusting our meal times a little (either earlier or later than the peak times). This class of ship is definitely not for everyone though. I'm glad you had a great experience. After this next cruise, we're thinking of doing a Voyager class.

Thanks for your review. I was on Oasis in the first week of December.

I'll agree with you on the crowds, especially the Promenade whenever they were doing an "event". You could forget about getting around there at all.

There are coping mechanisms for the crowds. I found that the best place for breakfast was my balcony. :) Second best was the restaurant in the solarium. It's adults only and I never had trouble finding a spot.

Also, you nailed it about getting to venues 30 minutes early for a good seat.

I thought that getting on and off at ports would be more of a hassle, but they have two very large gangplanks and they don't have tendered ports... so that part was pretty easy.

Have sailed the Oasis and Allure on more than one occasion. Have never found the ships to be as crowded as OP describes - yes, crowded at the elevators when a show gets out, etc. Also the promenade can be crowded when there is a special sale going on. However, not all the time!

Also, there are so many alternate and free dining locations. I think many people automatically go to the Windjammer without checking out Johnny Rockets (no fee for breakfast), Wipe Out Cafe, Solarium Bistro, and don't forget the MDR, etc. Have seen a line at the Windjammer of perhaps 20 people, but it moved quickly as the staff would seek out tables and clear them ready for the next in line.

The shows definitely are great - most people get there around 20 minutes or so before the show starts, with a reservation, as 10-15 minutess before hand they open up to anyone without a reservation.

I would hate anyone to be put off these ships by thinking the crowds are that bad - sometimes all it takea is adjusting your personal schedule by a little.

Maybe crowding and lines on the Oasis class depends, at least in part, on when you go. We were on Oasis the week before Thanksgiving, and didn't experience the crowds you describe. I also think whether you encounter lots of lines depends on your cruise habits. We never stepped foot in the Windjammer,:) but we did have access to the Suite Lounge and Coastal Kitchen. Those factors probably greatly impacted our experience with crowding.

Edited by Cindy

We'll be on the Oasis this Saturday along with what I presume will be quite a few snowbirds trying to get away from their winters up north. I'll let you know if it feels crowded or not. The only crowding we've experienced on board ships before (28 cruises) was 1/2 hour before a show and when the shows got out. Never had a long wait for dining, even at the Windjammer last January on the Radiance - yes smaller ship but 700 kids were on board since they had to return to school the next week.....yikes! We always found a table for two. We loved the variety of food in the Windjammer so much that we gave up on the MDR and specialty restaurants. So, that being said, I'll report back when we get back on Feb 28. We live in Miami so we'll be home by lunch time (unless there are only 4 Customs agents on duty like there was in November in Fort Lauderdale). Ridiculous!

Edited by Diver2014

Have sailed the Oasis and Allure on more than one occasion. Have never found the ships to be as crowded as OP describes - yes, crowded at the elevators when a show gets out, etc. Also the promenade can be crowded when there is a special sale going on. However, not all the time!

Also, there are so many alternate and free dining locations. I think many people automatically go to the Windjammer without checking out Johnny Rockets (no fee for breakfast), Wipe Out Cafe, Solarium Bistro, and don't forget the MDR, etc. Have seen a line at the Windjammer of perhaps 20 people, but it moved quickly as the staff would seek out tables and clear them ready for the next in line.

We happen to LIKE the Windjammer for lunch.

First you say you didn't experience the crowds, then you say to avoid the Windjammer because it will be crowded. It's a shame when you can't eat lunch when and where you want "because it is too crowded"!!

I would hate anyone to be put off these ships by thinking the crowds are that bad - sometimes all it takea is adjusting your personal schedule by a little.

Maybe they should know ahead of time that "the crowds are that bad" - so bad that you have to adjust your schedule and do without what you could do on any Radiance Class ship.

OP, thank you for the review. Did you do Coastal Kitchen for lunch or dinner? Also - did you use the suite sundeck? Wondering how crowded it gets - it looks nice and I certainly like that it has a dedicated bar and bartender! I am guessing it overlooks the pools?

We did have dinner in Coastal Kitchen one night (forgot to mention that). It was FANTASTIC. It was more casual setting than we expected, but the service was really good and the food was pretty amazing. We had a couple of dishes each that we had never tried - they were great! And then had the Tenderloin, and it was Melt-In-Your-Mouth tender and delicious.

We did not use the Sundeck. Not sure even where it was located. I prefer our balcony to the pool area. I can say that the Pool Areas were never crowded. We experienced winds up to 50 knots most days of both weeks, and not a lot of people were spending time outside.

Edited by DHADEN

We happen to LIKE the Windjammer for lunch.

First you say you didn't experience the crowds, then you say to avoid the Windjammer because it will be crowded. It's a shame when you can't eat lunch when and where you want "because it is too crowded"!!

Maybe they should know ahead of time that "the crowds are that bad" - so bad that you have to adjust your schedule and do without what you could do on any Radiance Class ship.

We did have dinner in Coastal Kitchen one night (forgot to mention that). It was FANTASTIC. It was more casual setting than we expected, but the service was really good and the food was pretty amazing. We had a couple of dishes each that we had never tried - they were great! And then had the Tenderloin, and it was Melt-In-Your-Mouth tender and delicious.

We did not use the Sundeck. Not sure even where it was located. I prefer our balcony to the pool area. I can say that the Pool Areas were never crowded. We experienced winds up to 50 knots most days of both weeks, and not a lot of people were spending time outside.

I did not say to avoid the Windjammer - I said that many cruisers are not aware of the multiple options available for breakfast/lunch.

You may like and prefer the Windjammer for lunch, however, the first time I cruised on the Allure I went to the Windjammer automatically - not realizing I could get an excellent lunch in the Solarium - that's the point I was trying to make - many cruisers who have sailed on other RC ships think of "Windjammer for lunch."

I have sailed the Radiance class ships, including a cruise with several days at sea where you didn't have as many options to eat, and believe me the Windjammer was packed each day with a line for tables.

I agree 100%. Been on both Allure and Oasis and they were the most crowded RCCL ships we've been on. They were otherwise *spectacular* cruises. (We've been on several Freedom, several Voyager and several Sovereign-class cruise cruises for comparison.)

Edited by KMagz

I think the crowd issue is just something subjective that you have to form your own opinion from experience

My one and only cruise was on a nearly full Liberty and never felt crowded or overwhelmed by people. But for our next booking I'm looking at two western Caribbean routes, one on Allure and one on Navigator. I want to feel like I'm on a ship and be able to easily lay around the pool deck and see the water. But I did get tired of the dining options on Liberty, so Oasis class wins a bit in that category. Thanks for the review though!

Hi Dhaden, Thanks for the review. It is great to hear from another very recent B2B on the Oasis as I am doing this in less than 40 days on the Oasis. Can I ask a couple of questions. I have read that consecutive cruisers are notified of what the process is a day or so before arrival back at port. How was the process for you? Did you get off the ship in Fort Lauderdale? If so how was that? I have read from nightmares to no worries so I am curious. Also how many laundry bag days were there?

Thanks for your review. Bruce

Edited by Aussie Jeep

................. I have read that consecutive cruisers are notified of what the process is a day or so before arrival back at port. How was the process for you? Did you get off the ship in Fort Lauderdale? If so how was that? I have read from nightmares to no worries so I am curious. Also how many laundry bag days were there?

Thanks for your review. Bruce

This was our 3rd Back-2-Back. The others took about 15 minutes to be walked off, thru customs, and back on the ship. Of course with the others there were 10-20 B2B people in the group. On the Oasis, there were 130. :eek:

On the Oasis, we all met in the Schooner Bar at 10:00. The PLAN was to have an RCI rep. walk us off the ship by 10:30, go through customs, get our new Sea-Pass cards, and then be walked back on the ship. "Should take about 1/2 hour", we were told. The idea is to be back on the ship before anyone else boards.

On other B2B's, we have been done with the process by 10:30 and have the ship to ourselves for an hour or so.

We got to the Schooner Bar around 9:45, and it was full. Managed to find a couple of seats together by asking someone to move. 10:00 came and went with no RCI rep. in sight. At 10:30, a rep showed up and told everyone it would be a few minutes more. Then, at 11:00 they finally told us we could go. We walked into customs, and they told us to have a seat. The whole group sat and waited; about 15 minutes later, 2 customs people came into the room and we were told to line up and show them our passports. As we were working through that line, everyone else checking in was walking on the ship. We finally made it through the line and got our cards so we could reboard at about 11:45.

We were supposed to have a "Special Luncheon" sat up at 11:30 in the Dining Room, but it was about 12:00 when we got there.

Again, I think because of the 6,000 people, everything is overloaded and takes a lot longer.:rolleyes:

Hope This Helps.

Edited by DHADEN

We just completed a Cruise on the Oasis last month and I was surprised at the OP review. We have been on most of the other Class of Ships and my wife and I felt less crowded on this ship than any other Ship. We didn't change any of our habits so the only thing that I can think of is that our pattern must have been in the minority. We ate in every venue and never experienced any wait in any of them. We only had Breakfast and Lunch three times each in the Windjammer and walked right in every time. We are early risers so maybe be were always slightly ahead of the rush each time. We ate Breakfast around 7:30 Lunch around 11:30 and Dinner around 6:00. The only crowds we experienced were in the Promenade during the special events. We always got there a little early and found a Table at the Promenade Cafe and watched from there while enjoying some drinks and desserts from the Cafe.

thanks for the review. I'm sailing for the first time on Oasis the end of this may.

Question? If you don't mind me asking what times did you eat? Our trick at other vacation destinations (Disney) is to not eat during prime grazing hours. Will this work?

thanks for the review. I'm sailing for the first time on Oasis the end of this may.

Question? If you don't mind me asking what times did you eat? Our trick at other vacation destinations (Disney) is to not eat during prime grazing hours. Will this work?

As I said, we had breakfast in our room/on the balcony every morning - so no crowds there.

After our failed attempt at eating lunch between 12:00 and 1:00 (especially on sea-days) we decided to go at 2:00. The Windjammer was not too crowded then, but the problem there is, the staff starts putting things away around 2:30 for their 3:00 closing time.

One Extra Note:

If you are doing the Eastern Itinerary, beware of the day you are in Nassau. The ship leaves port at 1:30, and everyone is told to be onboard by 12:30. This caused a MAJOY BOTTLENECK of everyone going to lunch at the same time. This was BY FAR the worst day of the 14.

Hope This Helps.

As I said, we had breakfast in our room/on the balcony every morning - so no crowds there.

After our failed attempt at eating lunch between 12:00 and 1:00 (especially on sea-days) we decided to go at 2:00. The Windjammer was not too crowded then, but the problem there is, the staff starts putting things away around 2:30 for their 3:00 closing time.

One Extra Note:

If you are doing the Eastern Itinerary, beware of the day you are in Nassau. The ship leaves port at 1:30, and everyone is told to be onboard by 12:30. This caused a MAJOY BOTTLENECK of everyone going to lunch at the same time. This was BY FAR the worst day of the 14.

Hope This Helps.

Just a brief note to tell you I AGREE 100% WITH YOUR ASSESSMENT as did many of us aboard.

The ship is amazing, but its a Vegas resort on the water with crowds crowds everywhere.

Booked the Navigator on board for my next cruise, so I know I am on a ship.

If you think the crowds were bad on Oasis, wait until you sail on the Quantum. I've never seen so many lines in my life. We waited in line 2 1/2 hours to experience the North Star, just once. Since, the promenade is so much smaller on the Quantum, the crowds are bigger. Lines for everything.

We've sailed on the Oasis, Allure and Quantum and actually, I'd sail on all of them again. However, I really prefer the Freedom Class.

Just a brief note to tell you I AGREE 100% WITH YOUR ASSESSMENT as did many of us aboard.

The ship is amazing, but its a Vegas resort on the water with crowds crowds everywhere.

Booked the Navigator on board for my next cruise, so I know I am on a ship.

disagree totally. Never had an issue finding a deck chair on Allure, even on sea days. Always got seats for our party of 10 at the Windjammer. Went to shows about 10-15 minutes before starting and no issue (with reservations). And of course everyones favorite and totally bogus complaint....the ELEVATORS ARE FINE.