Package Air/Sail Question

Oceangoer2

I've been reading lots of comments re disembarking and problems with Customs being slow and long lines to go through. Ship arrives at FTL and then we bus to Miami airport. If anyone has been on one of these packages, please let me know if there is a special disembarkation time to catch the bus which leaves for the Miami airport (charter flight leaves at 1:30pm and I'm sure there's going to be a long customs line at the airport). Would it be wise to self-disembark and wait for the bus outside the terminal? Or self-disembark and take a cab to the airport and avoid possibility of slowdowns at both the ship terminal and airport?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

The disembarkation issues are related to CBP taking longer and doing more complete immigration screens. Those cannot be avoided.

It seems you are on a charter of some sort so they would need to tell you what time the bus leaves and wait if everyone is not off the ship. Most busses leave from the terminal. It certainly is faster to carry ones own luggage off, but a 1:30 departure shouldf not be an issue. You can do the math and I would be asking questions of them as to the bus departure time. Miami airport could take as long as 2 1/2 hours. Travel distance to Miami is not far but the earlier you leave the heavier the traffic.

I suspect your transport to the Miami Airport will be treated the same as a shore excursion. You will probably be asked to meet somewhere (theatre perhaps) and all be let off the ship at the same time.

Hopefully someone who has done one of these packages can confirm that.

Also, my understanding is you will clear customs when you land in London or whichever Canadian Airport you fly to. I do not believe Miami has any sort of Canadian customs clearance. The only customs you'll go through when leaving the ship is the to get you back into the US before heading to the airport.

Edited by RickT