Help us choose our first cruise! Liberty or Glory? East or South Caribbean?

almendrada

Thank you! It's been a pretty good winter this year. Nothing like last year. We leave on the Liberty next week, and I can't wait! Every minute that goes by, is a minute closer to above freezing temperatures! :)

Lucky you! It felt like my hands froze all the way through in the 20 feet between my vehicle and my office this morning. :rolleyes:

I realize I've been a little "late to the party" here but I can tell you that we've been on both Glory and Liberty and also have done both itineraries you mentioned, the eastern & southern.

To be honest, you can't go wrong with either itinerary or ship. Our personal favorite itinerary was the southern out of San Juan, which we did on Valor, the sister ship of Liberty and Glory. We love port stops and less sea days but that's just our preference. The scenery of the southern itinerary is spectacular and we loved being on our balcony or up on the panorama deck as we sailed in. We always went to Panorama Deck 10 as we sailed away, just so beautiful and relaxing. When we did that cruise, we flew into San Juan the day before and just kicked back on the beach at the hotel that afternoon and LOVED it! Once we boarded the ship (around 12:30PM), we got something to eat & drink, waited for cabins to be ready to drop off carry-on luggage then got back off to explore San Juan and went to the fort.

We also loved the eastern itinerary and HMC is just gorgeous but it is missed occasionally due to weather at times since it's a tender port. We had no problem when we went and had beautiful weather. We were on Glory for that itinerary.

As for activity levels, there is something for everyone on either of these itineraries, so you can go at your own pace and still be able to see a lot.

It was mentioned before that Glory and Liberty are sister ships, same layout and the differences are mainly in the decor. I will have to say that Liberty wins that one with beautiful decor but there is nothing shabby about Glory either.

Which every ship/itinerary you decide, I hope you have a wonderful time on your first cruise and hope you end up enjoying cruising as much as we do.

I am so glad you commented!!! I spent three or four very happy days reading your wonderful Liberty review. Honestly, that's the thing that solidified it for me. We are DEFINITELY going on a cruise!

Thanks so much for your input. As it comes closer, I may reach out to you with a question or two if it's OK.

I am so glad you commented!!! I spent three or four very happy days reading your wonderful Liberty review. Honestly, that's the thing that solidified it for me. We are DEFINITELY going on a cruise!

Thanks so much for your input. As it comes closer, I may reach out to you with a question or two if it's OK.

I do remember your nice comments on the Liberty review that I did and really appreciated them. I have read and enjoyed so many reviews and decided to start doing reviews of our cruises in the hopes that they can help someone else in planning a cruise or trying to decide on a particular cruise and am so happy it was helpful to you. :)

I just love going on cruises and wish we could do it every year, but it's just not possible for us. The Liberty one was very last minute and a crazy decision on our part but it worked out in the end. My DH had been laid off from his job and wasn't having much luck finding one but we don't live beyond our means and had a refund coming from the income taxes. Last winter was terrible, a lot of snow and very cold and we just decided to do it. I was hesitant at first but DH said that once he did get a job, which he did a few months later, he didn't know when he'd be able to take off for vacation and it could be a year and possibly longer. I'm so glad we did it. :D

When I saw your question about the ships and the itineraries...small world!!! We've been on both Glory and Liberty and had done both itineraries. Really, you can't go wrong with either but if you have any questions, please feel free to ask and I'll be happy to answer as best I can.

Edited by pghsteelerfan
grammar error...oops.

If you do decide on Liberty, be sure you book a tour with Cosol in St. Lucia....fantastic day, great price, great people. Food included (cooked by the driver's families and also lots of fresh fruit...yum) and a tour of everything... Volcano, pitons, banana plantation. Just google Cosol and you can book via email. He replies to all emails.

The ships are the same class, and so they offer the same features and amenities.

Liberty has prettier decor and better live music.

Both itineraries are awesome.

If you haven't been to any of these locations before I'd probably recommend Eastern Caribbean.

Edited by EdmundXXIII

This is great advice. I love the idea that we can see all those places and still keep it low-key. And that St. Lucia excursion: do you happen to remember the name of it, and which operator it was through? Did you book it through Carnival, or did you find it on your own?

We used Cosol Tours. It was highly recommended on TripAdvisor and was easily booked via email. The tour was relaxing since you are transported by van to various areas of this beautiful island.

As I mentioned in a previous reply, we spent days in Barbados, St. Kitts, St. Thomas (Megans Bay), and St. Maarten at beautiful beaches, all easily reached by taxi from the pier where the ship docks.

Port intensive, but relaxing, although one could opt for very strenuous excursions. We didn't.

First thing first, FLIGHTS! Look into that ASAP.

As someone else said, you can do the Eastern any other time and the southern will give you a lot of neat History tours and shows a variety of Beautiful Islands.

I have been on a handful of cruises and also have spent weeks on different Islands and have many opinions on places so here it goes:

Eastern- A Day at sea are always relaxing and fun. From trivia games around the ship to pool games and contest with some comical auditions or you could head to Serenity (Adult Only) too read and relax.

Half Moon Cay- Very nice stop but look to see how many other Carnival ships will be on the island at the same time as the beaches can get crowded. Not much history on this island.

St. Thomas- Beaches to great shopping (at the port) to some history. If you get car sick this is the place it will happen. Any excursion you do you will be riding a "truck" with benches and the drivers go up, down, sideways, through the mountain terrain passing on turns and more, a true excursion in itself. Coki beach has Scuba to snorkel to relaxation along with other beaches.

WHAT I DO ON ST. THOMAS- I go to St. John via the ferry and sit at Trunk Bay a very relaxing a quiet beach.

Grand Turk- Small island and the main attraction is right at the port and can be super crowded depending on other ships at port with you. Many people make it a half day to walk around and back on the ship to relax and eat. No history unfortunately.

SOUTHERN- San Juan, History a walk away! Check in and be on the ship at 1:00PM get lunch and head out to port as the ship leaves at 10PM. Go to the fort Castillo San Felipe del Morro. On the way to the fort you can do your own street tour following the signs. $5pp to Enter the fort. It really isnt a far walk and it would be a total of two hours off the ship.

St. Thomas- As above.

Day at Sea- As above.

Barbados- Not a favorite island of mine but options involve drinking or taking a tour. The Boat Yard is a hangout spot that cost money for food and drinks. Short taxi or a walk from the port. Scenic Barbados tours has a couple different tours to choose from. The cave is neat and how it was formed is an educational tour that ends with a beach day. The other option is get off the ship and go with the flow and head back to the ship early.

St. Lucia- From Mud baths, sulfur springs, waterfall, beach, Lunch at his mothers house and a 40 min boat ride back to the boat so you dont fight traffic and waste precious time along with a whole island tour? Herrod's land and sea tour is truly amazing. You will never forget this tour for $85pp of 6-7 hours of adventure. Not a lot of walking!

St. Kitts- Another fort to adventure Brimestone Fort which is beautiful and has a tour. Renting a car for $45 for the day is a great plan. You can travel the island on your own time and visit the fort and other attractions without the crowded tours from the cruise ship. If that is not comforting to do on your own, Carnival has a 4 hour tour for the island that will give you a little more of an educational tour of the island. Again beaches and catamaran tours to Nevis (Island next door).

St Maarten- Beaches are always nice. Orient Beach is going to be more of the crowded fun bar beach. Also has a nude beach in the same area if you are into that as its all fun shapes and sizes :) Many tours as well that the ship offers. I have been here twice and it is nice to have a last relaxing day at the beach before getting off the ship the next day. Maho beach is where planes will land right over your head and has a bar and grill just off of the beach.

With this all being said, I VOTE FOR THE SOUTHERN!!

It will give you more options and if you like history and learning about different islands and cultures it's a must.

Lastly, To save money I NEVER book excursions through the ship. Always $15-$40 dollars more and 99% of excursions not booked from the ship are designed for the cruise passengers making sure you are back on time. The advantage for booking through the ship, the ship wont leave without you if the excursion is delayed. Trust me, I have seen MANY people left behind. So for a first cruise, you may be more comfortable doing it that way but if not, Make sure you are on the ship at least an hour before they tell you.

Hope this was helpful and Enjoy the trip when it happens!!

We used Cosol Tours. It was highly recommended on TripAdvisor and was easily booked via email. The tour was relaxing since you are transported by van to various areas of this beautiful island.

As I mentioned in a previous reply, we spent days in Barbados, St. Kitts, St. Thomas (Megans Bay), and St. Maarten at beautiful beaches, all easily reached by taxi from the pier where the ship docks.

Port intensive, but relaxing, although one could opt for very strenuous excursions. We didn't.

Both have great ratings and do the same things, but I went with Herrod's as it was a 40 min boat ride along the west coast back to the ship instead of in a car with traffic. I read traffic gets hectic going back to the port since everyone is headed there. Was that true??

I do remember your nice comments on the Liberty review that I did and really appreciated them. I have read and enjoyed so many reviews and decided to start doing reviews of our cruises in the hopes that they can help someone else in planning a cruise or trying to decide on a particular cruise and am so happy it was helpful to you. :)

I just love going on cruises and wish we could do it every year, but it's just not possible for us. The Liberty one was very last minute and a crazy decision on our part but it worked out in the end. My DH had been laid off from his job and wasn't having much luck finding one but we don't live beyond our means and had a refund coming from the income taxes. Last winter was terrible, a lot of snow and very cold and we just decided to do it. I was hesitant at first but DH said that once he did get a job, which he did a few months later, he didn't know when he'd be able to take off for vacation and it could be a year and possibly longer. I'm so glad we did it. :D

When I saw your question about the ships and the itineraries...small world!!! We've been on both Glory and Liberty and had done both itineraries. Really, you can't go wrong with either but if you have any questions, please feel free to ask and I'll be happy to answer as best I can.

Will do!

Honestly, the thing that was the most helpful to me was the detail you went into about aspects of cruising that a first-time cruiser wouldn't know about: tendering, embarking and debarking, finding seats for some of the shows, etc. I hope that after our cruise happens I can be helpful like that for someone else.

If you do decide on Liberty, be sure you book a tour with Cosol in St. Lucia....fantastic day, great price, great people. Food included (cooked by the driver's families and also lots of fresh fruit...yum) and a tour of everything... Volcano, pitons, banana plantation. Just google Cosol and you can book via email. He replies to all emails.

Thank you! This is the kind of information I definitely need!

Wow, this is so much good information!

First thing first, FLIGHTS! Look into that ASAP.
Will do. Do you have any tips for this? When I look at flights now, obviously they're not going to be the same price as they will be in March 2016. And most airlines don't have their schedules out that far in advance yet. Is there a good site to look? A good "fare watch" email list to get on?
As someone else said, you can do the Eastern any other time and the southern will give you a lot of neat History tours and shows a variety of Beautiful Islands.

I have been on a handful of cruises and also have spent weeks on different Islands and have many opinions on places so here it goes:

Eastern- A Day at sea are always relaxing and fun. From trivia games around the ship to pool games and contest with some comical auditions or you could head to Serenity (Adult Only) too read and relax.

Half Moon Cay- Very nice stop but look to see how many other Carnival ships will be on the island at the same time as the beaches can get crowded. Not much history on this island.

St. Thomas- Beaches to great shopping (at the port) to some history. If you get car sick this is the place it will happen. Any excursion you do you will be riding a "truck" with benches and the drivers go up, down, sideways, through the mountain terrain passing on turns and more, a true excursion in itself. Coki beach has Scuba to snorkel to relaxation along with other beaches.

WHAT I DO ON ST. THOMAS- I go to St. John via the ferry and sit at Trunk Bay a very relaxing a quiet beach.

Is the ferry port close to the cruise terminal? Do you remember how much the ferry costs?

Grand Turk- Small island and the main attraction is right at the port and can be super crowded depending on other ships at port with you. Many people make it a half day to walk around and back on the ship to relax and eat. No history unfortunately.

SOUTHERN- San Juan, History a walk away! Check in and be on the ship at 1:00PM get lunch and head out to port as the ship leaves at 10PM. Go to the fort Castillo San Felipe del Morro. On the way to the fort you can do your own street tour following the signs. $5pp to Enter the fort. It really isnt a far walk and it would be a total of two hours off the ship.

I can.not.wait to go to San Juan. This morning on the treadmill I just kept imagining I was there. It looks so beautiful and interesting!

St. Thomas- As above.

Day at Sea- As above.

Barbados- Not a favorite island of mine but options involve drinking or taking a tour. The Boat Yard is a hangout spot that cost money for food and drinks. Short taxi or a walk from the port. Scenic Barbados tours has a couple different tours to choose from. The cave is neat and how it was formed is an educational tour that ends with a beach day. The other option is get off the ship and go with the flow and head back to the ship early.

St. Lucia- From Mud baths, sulfur springs, waterfall, beach, Lunch at his mothers house and a 40 min boat ride back to the boat so you dont fight traffic and waste precious time along with a whole island tour? Herrod's land and sea tour is truly amazing. You will never forget this tour for $85pp of 6-7 hours of adventure. Not a lot of walking!

Wow, that sounds really cool! I will look into that.

St. Kitts- Another fort to adventure Brimestone Fort which is beautiful and has a tour. Renting a car for $45 for the day is a great plan.

Are there any special permits required to rent a car on the island? I noticed that was the case with some of the ports.

You can travel the island on your own time and visit the fort and other attractions without the crowded tours from the cruise ship. If that is not comforting to do on your own, Carnival has a 4 hour tour for the island that will give you a little more of an educational tour of the island. Again beaches and catamaran tours to Nevis (Island next door).

St Maarten- Beaches are always nice. Orient Beach is going to be more of the crowded fun bar beach. Also has a nude beach in the same area if you are into that as its all fun shapes and sizes :) Many tours as well that the ship offers. I have been here twice and it is nice to have a last relaxing day at the beach before getting off the ship the next day. Maho beach is where planes will land right over your head and has a bar and grill just off of the beach.

With this all being said, I VOTE FOR THE SOUTHERN!!

It will give you more options and if you like history and learning about different islands and cultures it's a must.

Lastly, To save money I NEVER book excursions through the ship. Always $15-$40 dollars more and 99% of excursions not booked from the ship are designed for the cruise passengers making sure you are back on time. The advantage for booking through the ship, the ship wont leave without you if the excursion is delayed. Trust me, I have seen MANY people left behind. So for a first cruise, you may be more comfortable doing it that way but if not, Make sure you are on the ship at least an hour before they tell you.

Hope this was helpful and Enjoy the trip when it happens!!

This was seriously incredible to read. I really appreciate the time and effort you put into getting us all this information! I know it will come in handy.

Everyone, you've been so helpful. DH was already leaning toward the southern route and your answers (and pictures!) have solidified them. Unless something changes drastically, we will most likely take the Liberty on the Southern Caribbean route.

Thank you everyone! and if you have input on any of the southern ports of call/excursions that would be good, I would really appreciate it. :) So glad I found this wonderful forum.

There is plenty of history ...

Grand Turk gained international attention in 1962 when John Glenn's Friendship 7 Mercury spacecraft landed in the vicinity of Grand Turk Island off the southeast shoreline. A replica of the Friendship 7 is on display in Grand Turk at the entrance to the Grand Turk Island airport.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Turk_Island

For a small fee you can take an excursion out to where the spaceship landed and see the dent it made in the ocean when it landed.

So I hopped on carnival.com to check out the Liberty itinerary for our week... and it's gone. Looks like they're actually repositioning the Liberty on that specific week, and there are no other options from San Juan on the dates we need.

So we're starting over. Good thing we didn't book anything, right? :rolleyes:

So I hopped on carnival.com to check out the Liberty itinerary for our week... and it's gone. Looks like they're actually repositioning the Liberty on that specific week, and there are no other options from San Juan on the dates we need.

Royal Caribbean's Jewel of the Sea has a similar itinerary out of San Juan beginning 3/5/2016. You might want to check it out. It too stops at St. Lucia

I'm just catching up and saw you're earlier post that you decided on the Southern route out of San Juan on Liberty and was going to let you know you picked an awesome cruise...then I saw your update. :( I just got on Carnival's site and looked since we definitely want to do that itinerary again. We've done the southern itinerary out of San Juan on Valor, Liberty & Glory's sister ship, and it was our all time favorite with so much to do in each of the islands on the itinerary. Carnival has no future sailings out of San Juan!!! :eek: I have seen that Carnival is moving ships around but have no replacement for San Juan yet. There are rumors as to which ship, if any, will be going to San Juan but those are just that...rumors. I have also seen comments where Carnival is going to be doing more longer cruises (more than 7 days) that will go to a lot of islands in the southern Caribbean, but that won't work for us due to DH's job in that he can only get one week off at a time (he'll get 2 weeks vacation, but he just can't take it all at once due to the job).

You had also mentioned going on the Eastern Caribbean route on Glory, which we had done. We also really enjoyed that cruise and wouldn't mind doing that one again either. I didn't do a review of Glory since I was very new to Cruise Critic when we took that cruise but I do have a lot of pictures of Glory. We were on Glory in 2010, before the 2.0 upgrades. Glory's 2.0 upgrades are the same as Liberty's, I think (someone please correct me if any differences). Pictures...if you are interested in seeing pictures of Glory (and the Eastern Itinerary) that I have, just let me know. I have the pictures in an album on one of the photo sharing sites and would be happy to get you the link. So sorry the southern out of San Juan didn't work out for you.

A fellow Minnesotan!!!

We have been on Victory and Valor out of San Juan twice, their southern itinerary St Thomas, Barbados, St Lucia, St. Kitts, St. Marten.

Love it!!! It is port heavy, but we look at Carnival as being our traveling hotel, restaurant to get us to each of these islands.

Each island is so different...

St. Thomas....Megan's Bay was relaxing after an early morning and flights out of Minneapolis. Relaxing day on beach!

Barbados was all about swimming with turtles!

St. Lucia so green and lush! St. Lucia is all about the Pitons.

St. Kitts Brimstone Hill Fortress, black sand beach (avoid the monkeys with diapers)

St. Marten two cultures, one island. We went out to Pinel Island...Corona commercials should be shot here.

I would encourage Carnival Liberty out of San Juan!!

Well, back to the drawing board...

I would wait until the shuffle and dance of the ships is complete, then look.

There is a 7 day Western Itinerary with GC, Belize, Cozumel, and Roatan that I think would be a great first cruise out of South Florida. The prices are normally fantastic and the schedule will give you ports and sea days.

Happy Planning!

Well, back to the drawing board...

I would wait until the shuffle and dance of the ships is complete, then look.

There is a 7 day Western Itinerary with GC, Belize, Cozumel, and Roatan that I think would be a great first cruise out of South Florida. The prices are normally fantastic and the schedule will give you ports and sea days.

Happy Planning!

Western is a GREAT cruise! Roatan is my favorite place, due to the scuba diving, but every place is awesome!! Look into this! If so I could help you with some ideas.

Hi everyone! I'm pretty new to the CC forums, and to cruising in general, and so is my husband. But we have been longing for another real vacation ever since our honeymoon at an all-inclusive beach resort, and have decided to just make it happen!

I'm a college student, and also have a full time job in addition to volunteering; my husband tends to work overtime. For this reason, we are restricted to when we can go, and it's pretty much gotta be the week of March 6-12, 2016.

As far as I can see, our two options on Carnival (which is what we can afford) are Glory's Eastern Caribbean route out of Miami to Half Moon Cay, St Thomas, San Juan, and Grand Turk; or Liberty's Southern Caribbean route out of San Juan to St Thomas, Barbados, St Lucia, St Kitts, and St Maarten.

A bit about us:

• We're in our late 30's
  • We're not very active (though we're trying to get to the gym more!)
  • We're both pretty heavy
  • We both love to be relaxed on vacation
  • Neither of us really likes to gamble
  • We like history/sightseeing-type activities
  • I love laying out and reading on the beach or by the pool.
  • I drink, he doesn't.
  • I'm very adventurous, food-wise; he isn't.
  • I speak Spanish, he doesn't.

I would love feedback from anyone who has been to these destinations, or on one or both of these ships. We're saving up, slowly but surely, to make our deposit, and that's when we'll likely decide for sure.

Any tips? Things we should consider?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

I am new again to the boards as I took a long hiatus! I have went southern and eastern and am scheduled to do eastern again 10/3 this year. Both were very enjoyable cruises. Loved them! With Southern though, my husband, was wore out from all the ports. By the time we got to the last one he had no desire at all to get off. Keep in mind though that he worked long hours at home and needed a rest anyway. On the other hand I was raring to go. We both found both cruises excellent but southern is definitely busier! You might want to weigh, how much activity you want on this vacation. Bon Voyage!:)

We ended up booking the Pride out of Baltimore to Port Canaveral and the Bahamas. DH is stoked for the Kennedy Space Center, and I like the look of the Pride. It's a smaller ship (relatively speaking) but it still has the 2.0 upgrades. And the price was right!

And so the countdown begins. :)

Yep. It was. Partially it was driven by cost. Honestly I'm not as excited about the Bahamas as I was about the Southern Caribbean, but this was the cheapest 7-day itinerary available once the Liberty route was cancelled. We were able to afford a balcony! Also, I like the thought of a slightly smaller ship for our first cruise. I still plan to get to Old San Juan, but it will have to be a little bit later.