Parking at Manhattan terminal for Breakaway

golfnut71

Considering taking a cruise on NCL's Breakaway out of Manhattan. Any suggestions on alleviating the high cost of parking? Thanks

Check out this thread that I bookmarked recently. We are also looking at other options since we have only tried parking at the pier.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2166116

Good question. We are travelling with 7 people this trip and wondering if taking our minivan to fit everyone is not a better deal than getting a car service.

Where in NJ? We've done it both ways. I think it was close, but I remember pricing it out, and 2 sedans were cheaper than a 10 passenger van. We decided to drive and park the last time. Having a service drop you off is easier on embankment, but having your own vehicle there is easier for disembarkment.

We are about 10 miles from NYC. I don't know how old your kids are, but when my kids were younger, the car service required appropriate car seats - we had to bring 2 booster seats with us.

Try Bestparking.com or any other website. There are garages nearby that will charge you less than the $40 per day. You can drop your luggage and fellow travelers off at the pier and then go park your car a few blocks away and do the reverse upon arrival. Perhaps more important than saving a few $, the parking will most likely be INDOORS in Manahttan. The pier parking is outdoors, and if it snows while you are on vacation you will have to somehow get your car out. In addition to getting the snow off of your car, when they plow the ramp they will plow your car in too. And if it gets real cold, the snow will freeze/ice up. Many people not from the area don't keep snow removal gear in their cars and I've seen people trying to dig their cars out with bare hands. Even if you have gear (and assuming you can access to it), it's not a nice way to end a vacation. Bottom line: park indoors some place nearby.

Not a good idea to park on the pier check discount parking in New York.you can get parking for much less. And take or walk to the pier.

You will have to clean your car off if it snows while you are away with parking at the pier

In late November, we paid $104 per night, and they allowed us to leave our SUV there FREE for a week. About 200metres away there is a bus stop which for about $6 a plush coach takes you into the Port Authority of Manhattan to sight see and such. The taxi ride for the 4 of us was $70 to the port, but we didn't have to drive in Manhattan! This fall we are booked again and will be travelling lighter-so we'll take the bus in and walk to the pier...

(can you tell I was a travel agent for a long time)

Hidden gem, I should keep this to myself, but I like you all!

We live in Ct and are driving down. I am have been looking for a park and stay and it seems there are none really in Manhattan. How far away is that hotel you stayed at? What time would we need to leave the hotel in the morning to get to the ship early? We are traveling with two girls ages 7 & 10, would you recommend a taxi or the bus? Last question, did you do walk off and just get a taxi back to the hotel? I appreciate you sharing your insight! Thanks!

Heard that it's possible to park your car at EWR airport and take NJ Transit to Penn Station NY and then a short taxi ride to the cruise terminal.

NJ & NY folks please advise. Thanks!

Sure you can, but the chances of my ever wanting to leave my car at an EWR parking lot are slim and none. Too much of a chance of returning to a damaged car, and it's also a long trip back to your car after the cruise.

You might consider parking at the Port Imperial NY Waterway ferry terminal in Weehawken, NJ directly across the river from midtown Manhattan. Parking in their garage is $16 per day and the short ferry ride costs $9 per person in each direction. On the NY side the ferry terminal is about a half mile south of the cruise terminal...an easy walk, or a short taxi ride away.

We live in Ct and are driving down. I am have been looking for a park and stay and it seems there are none really in Manhattan. How far away is that hotel you stayed at? What time would we need to leave the hotel in the morning to get to the ship early? We are traveling with two girls ages 7 & 10, would you recommend a taxi or the bus? Last question, did you do walk off and just get a taxi back to the hotel? I appreciate you sharing your insight! Thanks!

So,it took maybe 10 minutes max to wait for the bus, and we had a 7 year old girl and 8 year old boy too. The bus honestly took maybe 15-20 minutes into the Port authority bus terminal, basically in Times Square area.

On the day of the cruise, because it was new to us, we took a cab to the terminal, left about 8:30 and got there before 9am! When we disembarked, we took a cab back as well.

Because we will just taking large back packs for our next cruise, we plan on taking the bus in and back and save that taxi money for spa passes AND SHOPPING!

I was all day looking at different hotels that let you park for free while cruising. With the taxi ride to and from the hotel, the savings do not make up for the inconvenience.

Yep IMO not worth it. Just park at the Manhattan terminal & pay a bit more. For ease of getting into your car & getting home after the cruise, it works.

• 2 weeks later...

So I was looking at parking at Weehawken and taking the ferry over - but I was not sure if you could leave your car for 7 days in that parking garage? They do not offer weekly rates so I did not know if you had to exit the garage every night? Do you happen to know about that? Also how far away is the drop off of the ferry to the cruise terminal?

Check out park jockey dot com

We booked at parkright Javits Center for the Breakaway in May and the total is $161. They drive you to the port. You can taxi back or walk 6 minutes from the cruise port to the parking lot.

I'm really unlikely to use Park Right after reading this review.

We parked at Park Right Parking garage ($210 for SUV 7 days) 670 W 43rd St, New York, NY ‎(212) 262-4771
No cab driver wanted to take us on a 7 block trip….so we simple walked to the parking garage. One HUGE last complaint: They leave your door windows down in the parking garages….and a rat got in and ate a granola bar and one of my daughters books got shredded !!!

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=266638

I understand why valet parking facilities leave a window down; then there's no chance of locking keys into cars. But it's probably not such a good idea in NYC, which is home to an estimated 2 million rats. :cool:

So I was looking at parking at Weehawken and taking the ferry over - but I was not sure if you could leave your car for 7 days in that parking garage? They do not offer weekly rates so I did not know if you had to exit the garage every night? Do you happen to know about that? Also how far away is the drop off of the ferry to the cruise terminal?

You can park for the week. They have a covered garage, and I think it's $16 a day to park. Once on the New York side they ferry drops you off about a half mile from the port. It's basically on the other side of the Intrepid.

Edited by Fins2theleft

Welcome to those relatively new to CC - this is a great, useful & friendly forum, everyone willi ng & ready to help - regardless. ;)

I understand that we are all anxious to get out of the northeast with another winter storm watch & warning come at us again this evening/tonight & temperature plunging again - time to get ready for more ice skating on the sidewalk & roller skating on 4 wheels, and sliding down the stairs on ice ... but, under East Coast Departure - linked here on CC (thus, saving some of you previous time in using the "Search" feature to find it) - the Cape Liberty Cruise Port (Bayonne, NJ) and Manhattan Cruise Terminal (New York)'s Parking & Cruise 4-1-1 including an illustrative pictorial guide on some of the best way to drive, walk, sail (ferry), taxi, bus, train, etc. to these piers.

Please do consider using these valuable resources - put together by some of the most experienced & repeat CC folks that sailed in/out of these terminals on a regular and frequent basis. Odds are that if you are driving from Canada, taking a train to Boston for New England cruise, flying to JFK or whatever, it's been asked and answered.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2057865

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2163707

It has information on Bayonne port parking and Red Hook, Brooklyn's parking & pier info - for those considering sailing other lines.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1579572

Just about the only thing we really don't have good info on is how to best arrive by helicopter but there is a helo landing pad about 15 blocks south on the old West Side Highway, a/k/a 12th Avenue. The other suggestions - "Google it" as one of our best traveling "buddy" - or Bing it, Yahoo it, Baido it, etc.

Now, I go back to looking at other posts - the "Ice Bar" is right outside, grab an insulated mug, winter parka, hats & mittens (no 'flip flops') and enjoy the freeze (no need to do that on the Breakaway ... :D) and there's quite a few old thread on that already.

I'm really unlikely to use Park Right after reading this review.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=266638

I understand why valet parking facilities leave a window down; then there's no chance of locking keys into cars. But it's probably not such a good idea in NYC, which is home to an estimated 2 million rats. :cool:

Has anyone ever watched the Seinfeld episode where George thinks his car has been used for shady "business purposes" while in a lot?

I rarely use NYC garages as I will not leave my key.

The port parking is the most convenient and safe deal you will find

Price is not a big deal to me and I am not rich.. I just value the port parking convenience... safety....and that the key stays with me

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...