Anyone NOT like the Breakaway?

mommyto3nj

Disliked elevators- too long to wait. I walked stairs alot! Unfortunately I am bringing my mom this time, so I will have to wait for the elevators or wait for her.

Pool deck is small for a ship that size.

The storage in the cabin, requires you to be organized and creative. I am an early riser, so I would leave my gym clothes out in the bathroom, so I would not wake up dd.

I do not get the touch screens(great idea). Unless you are using hand sanitizer, you are picking up germs and leaving germs. Used only once and then though about how unsanitary the touch screens must be(YUK).

The ship is so large, you do not feel any more crowded than any other cruise ship.

Hi all!

I wasn't crazy about the Breakaway but I think it was because I was on the inaugural sailing to Bermuda & there had been so much hype about the ship it didn't live up to what I expected.

I'd also been on Epic 3 times which I actually prefer & kept comparing the 2 with what's important to me being better on Epic, eg studio lounge,outdoor area where the parties are, etc.

I also went on the Getaway & really liked that ship with it's beautiful decor & Miami vibe. The food was really good too as were the shows.

Different strokes, eh?

~ Jo ~ :)

People keep talking about the waits for shows and restaurants. Can't you make a reservation for both of them if you wanted to? I'm confused! I thought you could make a reservation for anything if you chose to do so. Am I wrong?

You can AND SHOULD make reservations. I haven't sailed the -aways, yet. (I will!) But I have sailed Epic, which is essentially similar to the -aways. On all the big Norwegian ships, you have to do two things: 1)make your specialty dining reservations ASAP (online if you can); 2) book your one big entertainment option for the night (Rock of Ages, Burn the Floor and Cirque Dreams). Everything else is walk in as you like for the rest of the cruise.

A lot of folks who have sailed with Norwegian prior to the mega ships (the smaller ship folks, not that there's anything wrong with that) resent the fact that they have to make reservations for the two big items every night. But the "dinner and a show" model is different on mega ships. Smaller ships have the MDR and whatever-is-showing-in-the-main-theater flow; mega ships have lots of smaller options that do require a little pre-planning. Once you make that shift in your head, everything else is the same.

Have fun! :)

Edited by Cruiser Bruiser

You can AND SHOULD make reservations. I haven't sailed the -aways, yet. (I will!) But I have sailed Epic, which is essentially similar to the -aways. On all the big Norwegian ships, you have to do two things: 1)make your specialty dining reservations ASAP (online if you can); 2) book your one big entertainment option for the night (Rock of Ages, Burn the Floor and Cirque Dreams). Everything else is walk in as you like for the rest of the cruise.

You also need to make reservations for Second City

We have been on the Epic, Breakaway and Getaway. We enjoyed the BA and GA more than the Epic but also love those smaller ships. Each gives you a different type of experience. Love the shows on the large ships but we also enjoy the more relaxing smaller ships. We enjoy sailing out of Miami or New Orleans as each are so nice to spend a few extra days pre or post cruise. Currently have 4 more cruises booked in next year-- one on the Dawn, two on Getaway and of course one on the new Escape! Also have to say that the design for the bathrooms (sinks & showers) on GA/BA is the best. The Getaway has our favorite 'hidden' place to eat without a crowd. There is a great little grill with Cuban inspired 'fast-food' one floor up from the buffet.

We sailed the Epic three times when she was doing the Caribbean run and loved, loved, loved her. After our first cruise on a Mega ship, we learned to book a cabin close to the elevator/stair banks. We take the stairs as much as we can, and when we need to take the elevator, it is close by.

I read reviews for entertainment purposes only, and to look at the pics. I take little of what is said as gospel.

Bon Voyage, you will have a great time.

We are a party of 14 going during "Jersey week" or November 1. I am pretty sure our ship will be pretty full. I plan on making reservations for the complimentary restaurants (I don't plan on doing the extra restaurants as of now) AND the shows. When can I do that? How far before the cruise? I looked now and I don't see that I can do it this far out.

Another question, my kids really want to take part in the "slime" and family feud shows....how early do you have to get to these to be able to be apart of it?

Been on both the Epic and Breakaway (as well as Star/Dawn/Gem/Sky). Though the venues on both are similar enough (however arranged differently), we prefer the Epic mainly because it didn't feel as crowded as the open public walkways are larger as well as some of the venues themselves. With that said, we still enjoyed the BA.

We are a party of 14 going during "Jersey week" or November 1. I am pretty sure our ship will be pretty full. I plan on making reservations for the complimentary restaurants (I don't plan on doing the extra restaurants as of now) AND the shows. When can I do that? How far before the cruise? I looked now and I don't see that I can do it this far out.

Another question, my kids really want to take part in the "slime" and family feud shows....how early do you have to get to these to be able to be apart of it?

According to the information at the link, below, you can start making reservations 90 days in advance:

http://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/prepare-for-your-cruise

I haven't participated in any of the kids' shows, but I read a lot of comments about arriving 30 minutes early for a lot of other shows. I would ask once you are aboard and act accordingly. Cheers. :)