Warning - T.A. - Credit Info Hacked

Jane2357

I ended up with two cards hacked; one was a relatively new card (less than a year old at this point, literally brand new the last time I used it with CP) the other an older card. The only thing they had in common was that they were cards that were routinely used for travel. Both cards were hacked with charges from Boston, NYC, London, Tokyo etc.

Right away Chase and Barclay caught the charges and when I confirmed they weren't mine, the cards were shut down. None of the charges actually went through as they were denied immediately but whomever was using my cards was quite hopeful as they kept trying with about 6 charges a card. I got the email less than 24 hours before the charges happened.

Last activity on the cards with CP was in September 14 for a December 14 cruise (made final payment) for the newer card and then Nov 12 for a Feb 13 cruise (again final payment) for the older card. Note that the older card had not been used with CP since that time frame yet was still hacked.

This is in no way reflective of the service I've received from CP as a TA company but as we're not allowed to discuss that......

Mine was hacked too. They purchased tickets on British Airways, gave a donation to Red Cross and paid money to Priceline. For the price they paid for air I think I could have seen some exotic places cheaper. Yes, it was a pain in the behind besides feeling violated, but thankfully my cc company caught the fraud charges. I don't know why agencies hold your cc info in their computers - get their payment then delete the numbers.

Wouldn't it be easy to catch this criminal--catch them at the airport when they try to take their British Airways flight?? (or wherever they are trying to go via Priceline??)

Guest maddycat

I received a letter (not an email) from Cruise Planners Franchising on Feb. 27th. That was the first time that I had heard of the hack. I had already noticed a fraudulent charge for $199 for cell phone insurance which was posted on Feb. 24th to my cc.

I check my cc charges online daily. I canceled the card and had a new one sent to me. I had used that card with Cruise Planners in Jan. for final payment for an April cruise.

Luckily, I have a different card that I use for all of my automatic payments. I only use that card for the automatic payments and nothing else. So at least I was spared the aggravation of having to changing all of that information.

Anyone else received the free one year ProtectMyID from experian because of this?

No, we didn't bother. There have been so many hacks from retailers to banks, it seems the more info you share the greater chance of someone else getting hold of these information. To use credit monitor service you will need to proved SS.

BTW my sister's Amex on file with CP was also used last Friday for an online purchase of $800+ electronics. The last time we used her card to pay for a cruise was 2 years ago. It was a bit unnerving for someone else to have both your home address and tel # for charges to go through. However, I'm happy to report that my sister saw the charges she was able to contact this online company to report fraud and got purchase cancelled. Amex still gave her a replacement cc.

Guest maddycat
Anyone else received the free one year ProtectMyID from experian because of this?

We put a security freeze on our credit information with all 3 major credit reporting agencies several years ago during another major breach. When I contacted Experian last week I was told that we have nothing to worry about. No one can do anything with our information, including us, until the security freeze is lifted.

We put a security freeze on our credit information with all 3 major credit reporting agencies several years ago during another major breach. When I contacted Experian last week I was told that we have nothing to worry about. No one can do anything with our information, including us, until the security freeze is lifted.

Am I misunderstanding that when one has a security freeze you can not get new lines of credit? So in other words, you could not refinance your mortgage or even lease a car?

I wanted to do this because with all the breeches this past year to year and a half I can't count the number of cards we've had replaced (whether proactive or due to actual fraud) and it'd be nice to be able to freeze everything but then we lease our cars and we were buying a house etc. I'm not sure it'd be compatible with our lifestyle....

Guest maddycat

With a credit freeze you cannot get any new credit. You would have to remove the freeze in order to get any new credit. From my understanding it only takes a few days to remove a credit freeze.

A credit freeze will not protect your current credit cards. You will still have to close any card that has been compromised and get a new one issued.

A credit freeze prevents identity theft. No one can open any new line of credit in your name.

With a credit freeze you cannot get any new credit. You would have to remove the freeze in order to get any new credit. From my understanding it only takes a few days to remove a credit freeze.

A credit freeze will not protect your current credit cards. You will still have to close any card that has been compromised and get a new one issued.

A credit freeze prevents identity theft. No one can open any new line of credit in your name.

So it is exactly what I was thinking it was. Thanks for the clarification.

For those of you that had your card improperly used, did you use your card with Cruise Planners in the last year, or was it before that.

Mine was January 2013, haven't used them since.

Was hacked last week. RCL Visa caught it very quickly and called. I had received an email prior to the hack and then received a letter this week.