Alaska May 2006

InsureFun

Booked a cruise departing from Vancouver, B.C. on Holland America. I was reading a few books on Alaska and while they describe the different animals native to Alaska and where to find them none of them state what one can expect to see in early May. I am realistic I know we won't just spot bears and deer lined up along the shoreline for us cheechakos...but am wondering if booking a fishing charter or bear fly-in would be worth it that time of year.

I saw a bear in Seward, in May near Exit glacier.

Also, along the drive to the Yukon (from Skagway), many people saw a bear - we didn't the day we went.

On Princess, the bear viewing excursions through the cruise line are not available in May.

• 3 weeks later...

Yukon, we are going to rent a car and use your much touted trip guide I am hoping we'll see a bear.

I ordered a bunch of brochures, one of them "Yukon Canada's True North 2005 vacation Planner". I wanted to inquire if you had any information regarding Koolseen Heritage Center, is it very authentic and informative?

>>I wanted to inquire if you had any information regarding Koolseen Heritage Center, is it very authentic and informative?<<

It isn't a heritage center in any real sense of the word - that was a dream that never worked. It's an old steamboat warehouse that has a few interpretive panels, a small lunch counter, and 1-3 local craftspeople (only 1 of which is ever Native).

Murray

If you are cruising Glacier Bay, I saw 2 brown bears along the shoreline there. You definately need a good pair of wide angle binoculars if you want to include marine wildlife too. 10 power is ideal. Try out several pick the best viewing for you.

I am trying to get some friends to book with us and they want to know what we'll do in port so I need a rough idea.

Murray, you saved us from a great disappointment, thanks. If you would be so kind as to indulge me in yet another question...what do you think about the Yukon Wildlife Preserve? The brochure states it's about 25 mi from Whitehorse which is a feasible distance/time because we're in Skagway for 14 hours. I would love to see musk oxen and moose that definitely won't be viewable with just the cruise.

BudgetQueen, did you see the bears from the cruise ship or from a separate excursion? If from the cruise ship you are giving me some hope:) My husband and I are planning to purchase two pairs of wide angle binoculars with at least 10 x 50 magnification...is there any brand in particular you would recommend?

BudgetQueen or whoever else is in the know, we're also looking to spend a few days prior to the cruise in Vancouver. I really want to see Stanley Park but after that am somewhat undecided. What do you suggest if you had to choose between Grouse Mountain, Capilano Suspension Bridge and Granville Island?

I saw the bears from the ship. If you have 3 days prior to your cruise, head over to Victoria for an overnight and enjoy that great area. Excellent orca whale watches. :)

No particular brand of binoculars I recommend, as I mention, try out several pairs and see what you like in terms of viewing and ability of ease of adjusting.

As for what to do in port- look over a shore excursion list and narrow down your interests. Then focus on your priorities, there are way too many great tours to recommend, way more than for 10 trips.

Insurefun, the Yukon Wildlife Preserve is excellent, but I don't know that I'd drive almost 300 miles to see it (I don't even recommend driving to Whitehorse unless you've covered everything else south of there). Though you get fairly close to some of the animals, you're not "up close and personal" like at Big Game Alaska south of Anchorage. The moose have always been very distant when I've been through - distant even with a 300mm lens. At the Yukon preserve the animals are each in 100-acre natural areas rather than obvious pens like at the Alaska one.

If you get the weather in Vancouver, Grouse Mountain is the high point, but you can easily see Grouse Mountain, Capilano Suspension Bridge and Granville Island in one day.

Murray

If you have a rental car, you can easily see all of the Vancouver highlights you mentioned in one full day or an afternoon and next morning. Grouse Mtn takes about 2-3 hrs depending on whether you watch the movie and the lumberjack show. To walk around and see the grizzlies and wolves and wood carvings, doesn't take that long, or at least it didn't in the rain!!! Stanley Park has highlights and you can see most of them in a couple of hours max, including the harbor, statutes, totem poles, gardens.

We drive 500 miles roundtrip to our second home, so 300 miles isn't that bad. We figure it's the only time, except for our precruise stay, we'll be quasi-independent travelers. I was concerned, I visited the Preserve's website and they stated they planned on opening May 20, 2006...we'll be there on May 10th. I contacted them via email and received a prompt reply stating to just let them know the date, time and how many in our party and an appointment could be made. We won't be going to Anchorage so this seems the best alternative.

JohnQ, is renting a car necessary in Vancouver? I understand they have an excellent mass transit system and was planning on utilizing it. We are planning to stay at O'Canada on Barclay which is only about 10 blocks from Stanley Park and very accessible. I hope we can see all four Vancouver highlights...it sounds like a wonderful city full of museums, theaters and galleries that one can spend a month exploring without running out of things to do.

BudgetQueen, we are trying for 2 days precruise so unfortunately no time to see Victoria. I would love to see Buchart Gardens and the Empress but alas not this trip:(

We drive 500 miles roundtrip to our second home, so 300 miles isn't that bad. We figure it's the only time, except for our precruise stay, we'll be quasi-independent travelers. I was concerned, I visited the Preserve's website and they stated they planned on opening May 20, 2006...we'll be there on May 10th. I contacted them via email and received a prompt reply stating to just let them know the date, time and how many in our party and an appointment could be made. We won't be going to Anchorage so this seems the best alternative.

:(

The problem is, all that first 75 miles is endless scenery and not a marathon drive. Plenty of people on this board have done the 150 mile round trip and take 5-6 hours just for that. In May it will be even MORE scenic with the possiblity of bears likely. The scenery just about stops after that point. I drive to Whitehorse for their Harley shop and it is a boring drive.

InsureFun: I agree with the opinion that it takes several hours just to enjoy the RT drive from Skagway to Carcross/Emerald Lake. We didn't have a long port day for Skagway, and I felt very 'rushed' just to hit the highlights of the drive. I would've loved to follow Yukon's guide at a slower pace with a more indepth perspective, rather than watch the clock. Bear spottings were frequent around the time we were there in early June.

we'll forgo the Preserve and do Emerald Lake. It's great to have people with such experience to advise, and for free:) Thanks for taking the time I really appreciate..and take all your advice as gospel from those who have been there.

Archived