What's Norwegian wine rules?

barbaragrace

• 2 weeks later...
Can someone clarify the at boarding corkage fee? The NCL website implies a corkage fee is only paid if the wine is consumed outside of one's stateroom. It's very poorly written, IMO.

I don't recall seeing it on the NCL website, but I can confirm that corkage is payable on boarding and applies regardless of where you drink it.

Can someone clarify the at boarding corkage fee? The NCL website implies a corkage fee is only paid if the wine is consumed outside of one's stateroom. It's very poorly written, IMO.

Pretty clear in the Frequently Asked Questions:

Wine & Champagne Policy

Guests may bring bottles of wine and champagne on board. When bottles are brought on board and served or consumed in any restaurant, public room area or in their stateroom, a corkage fee will be charged according to bottle sizes noted below. 750 ml Bottle: $15.00 1,500 ml Magnum: $30.00 Wine or champagne sent directly to the ship by travel agents, friends, family, etc. or from another retail source, are subject to the same fees. Box wines are not allowed on board.

If you don't open all of the bottles do you get a refund on the corkage at the end of the cruise?

I have read where folks have done this.

Having wine left over at dinner,or the end of the cruise is very difficult for me to imagine though.

NCL doesn't have RCL or Celebrity's policy of two bottles of wine on embarkation (no fee at all).

And, NCL does not have the RCL or Celebrity limit of only two bottles.

They are both the same, only different.

NCL doesn't have RCL or Celebrity's policy of two bottles of wine on embarkation (no fee at all).
Celebrity actually charges $25 corkage on those two bottles if you take them to the MDR or to a restaurant. :eek: And it's 2 bottles per stateroom maximum for RCL and Celebrity. If you want a third bottle of wine during your cruise, you have to buy it from them. NCL lets you carry on as much as you want for $15/bottle.

Celebrity actually charges $25 corkage on those two bottles if you take them to the MDR or to a restaurant. :eek: And it's 2 bottles per stateroom maximum for RCL and Celebrity. If you want a third bottle of wine during your cruise, you have to buy it from them. NCL lets you carry on as much as you want for $15/bottle.

So just carry a glass of wine to the MDR. No fee!

Right, but at least X allows you to bring TWO bottles on board at NO charge.

Right, but at least X allows you to bring TWO bottles on board at NO charge.

But what wine are you going to drink after day 2? I would find it very hard to stretch 2 bottles over a 7 day cruise. Sure, they didn't charge for the 2 bottles, but after day 2 you have to purchase wine from them.

Given the wines I buy on land compared to the selection and prices on the ship, $15 corkage each is a bargain.

Although, if the discussion is about what each line allows then what you can do outside those rules isn't really relevant. :)

My response was to another poster who stated Celebrity charges $25 to take a bottle to the MDR. Fully within the rules to take a glass of wine without paying a corkage fee or breaking any rule (same rules on Carnival).

And when you've finished that glass and the waiter is only just arriving with your first course? I suppose that is one way to make 2 bottles of wine last the entire cruise. :(

Sip, don't gulp. :D

Actually, I don't drink wine so my DW get's both of the bottles we bring on. If she's feeling feisty, I carry a glass of wine for her to the MDR as well. That will get her past the apps and maybe to the entree. ;)

But what wine are you going to drink after day 2? I would find it very hard to stretch 2 bottles over a 7 day cruise. Sure, they didn't charge for the 2 bottles, but after day 2 you have to purchase wine from them.

Given the wines I buy on land compared to the selection and prices on the ship, $15 corkage each is a bargain.

There is no way I can stretch two bottles over 2 days.:D

I enjoy certain wines which are not available on NCL and I would rather pay the $15 to drink what I want then pay the markup for wine I would not drink on land.